Do you support unions?

• Yes and I am a Republican

• Yes and I am an independent

• Yes and I am a Democrat

• No and I am a Democrat

• No and I am a Republican

• No and I am an independent

Results are only viewable after voting.
As has been pointed out repeatedly, there are still plenty of good paying jobs, but they require hands-on work that Americans don't want to do. So this myth that you have to go to college to do well in life, or blue collar work pays too low is nothing but a lie. But blue-collar monkey jobs have been replaced by third-worlders or automation. To get or stay in middle-class requires some effort and training.
Very true. Many immigrants come here and make something out of themselves, or their kids, on very little money. Lots of brains. Saving. Working hard. Showing up early and staying late. Not blowing your money on smokes, weed and booze.

When I think about the fortune I BLEW in my lifetime. I mean the times where I really should have said no and saved the money instead of spent it.

I remember I made a lot of money in the 90's my mom said, "you don't know what the future holds don't spend money like you're always going to make this kind of money" and she was right! I had a very hard 2000's. Almost got run out of corporate America. Couldn't find a job. Bounced from too many jobs. But it wasn't my fault. Michigan went through a hard time in the 2000's. A lot of jobs left MI.

Thank GOD I found this job 8 years ago. Longest place I ever worked. I just KILLED it this month. Economy can't be that bad.

And it's funny for me that every time a Democrat's in office, it seems MI does better. Clinton years, Obama years were good to me and so are the Biden years. Even with inflation, covid and the war on russia. I'm still saving. I'm going to buy my lease. I thought I would owe much more. In 5 months I will only owe $26K. I'm going to pay cash then try to run that baby into the ground. I figure that will be $4000 a year roughly I'm not spending. God I hope I can run that truck for 10 years. I promise to baby it and change the oil. I took out $2000 a year for maintenance. It's never free owning a older car. Every so often something goes wrong. But it's better than leasing another new F150 for $500 a month. That's $6000 a year.

Very true. Many immigrants come here and make something out of themselves, or their kids, on very little money. Lots of brains. Saving. Working hard. Showing up early and staying late. Not blowing your money on smokes, weed and booze.

When I think about the fortune I BLEW in my lifetime. I mean the times where I really should have said no and saved the money instead of spent it.

I remember I made a lot of money in the 90's my mom said, "you don't know what the future holds don't spend money like you're always going to make this kind of money" and she was right! I had a very hard 2000's. Almost got run out of corporate America. Couldn't find a job. Bounced from too many jobs. But it wasn't my fault. Michigan went through a hard time in the 2000's. A lot of jobs left MI.

Thank GOD I found this job 8 years ago. Longest place I ever worked. I just KILLED it this month. Economy can't be that bad.

And it's funny for me that every time a Democrat's in office, it seems MI does better. Clinton years, Obama years were good to me and so are the Biden years. Even with inflation, covid and the war on russia. I'm still saving. I'm going to buy my lease. I thought I would owe much more. In 5 months I will only owe $26K. I'm going to pay cash then try to run that baby into the ground. I figure that will be $4000 a year roughly I'm not spending. God I hope I can run that truck for 10 years. I promise to baby it and change the oil. I took out $2000 a year for maintenance. It's never free owning a older car. Every so often something goes wrong. But it's better than leasing another new F150 for $500 a month. That's $6000 a year.

I have always lived under my means in effort to have backup money. Of course being a landlord the last 30 years you really have no choice because you can never tell what's going to go wrong.

My sister on the other hand lives paycheck to paycheck and questions whether or not she can afford to retire with the market down so much. She lives in a much nicer, safer neighborhood with a much more modern house. But is it worth it?

I don't like stress, especially in my condition. I haven't had a credit card balance in ten years and want to keep it that way. I paid off my 2016 Camry a few years ago and this will be my last car. It only has 30,000 miles on it and in new shape. It's good enough for me.

I do not believe that public unions should have the right to strike. Teachers, cops, firefighters, gov't workers, whatever. It sets up a situation where the union and the politicians that govern the applicable city, county, state, or country can get into bed so to speak with those unions to grant too much control and power to the unions in exchange for their political donations and support. The appearance is there even if the reality isn't, and right now the trust in gov't at every level is pretty low. There's nothing wrong with bargaining for non-compensation issues, but you can't have any public union holding the public by the balls until they get what they want.

Private unions are different. I don't believe the gov't has any right to interfere with the running of any business, outside perhaps of those involved with national security. So, a private union can strike if they want to, but the owners/management can shut the business down or move it elsewhere. It is shameful IMHO that the 2 sides can't be more cooperative, but it is what it is. These days, I question the need for any union; public pressure being what it is and the media stoking the fires of indignation, companies have to pretty much tow the line or face the consequences of angry consumers.

Something tells me they'll make an exception for the police.

It's like pensions. They are a thing of the past, except for one group. Politicians. And they only have to serve 8 years or 2 terms to get it. Sickening.
Sadly, police unions protect bad cops.

For instance.

The Minneapolis police officer who knelt on George Floyd’s neck had 18 previous complaints against him, police department says

By Dakin Andone, Hollie Silverman and Melissa Alonso, CNN
Updated 5:39 PM EDT, Fri May 29, 2020

Are you sea lioning or from a different country then the US?

It's an expression.
"Sealioning refers to the disingenuous action by a commenter of making an ostensible effort to engage in sincere and serious civil debate".
A) You errored in spelling "sealioning"
B) As expression then what is "bad money" versus your expression "good money"?

Unions are like corporations and rich people. Get too much money and power.
Unions naturally arise where governments allow the rich to abuse corporate workers. Short sufficient regulation laissez faire capitalism supplies workers no other option. Don't like unions? Create a far more sustainable, worker friendly society where the needs of the least are well taken care of long before even considering the profits of the far too rich. We could learn much from Norway's example:
The right to strike is legally guaranteed—except for members of the military and senior civil servants—and is generally respected in practice. All workers have the right to engage in collective bargaining.

"Sealioning refers to the disingenuous action by a commenter of making an ostensible effort to engage in sincere and serious civil debate".
A) You errored in spelling "sealioning"
B) As expression then what is "bad money" versus your expression "good money"?
Thanks for the correction. Why only me?

I look at it more like good money is pretending ignorance of a common statement to confuse and detract from the actual comment.

Unions naturally arise where governments allow the rich to abuse corporate workers. Short sufficient regulation laissez faire capitalism supplies workers no other option. Don't like unions? Create a far more sustainable, worker friendly society where the needs of the least are well taken care of long before even considering the profits of the far too rich. We could learn much from Norway's example:

People don't open up or run businesses as a social obligation. People open up businesses to make a profit. The more profit, the more successful the business.

Nobody is forced to work for any particular company. If you don't like the company you work for or feel "abused" you are free to find a different company to work for.

I would pay good money for you to come where I work and tell the Trump loving union linemen I work with what you think about unions.

It would be epic. Truly.
What does that even mean?

2022-08-15_21-36-54-S.jpg

Nobody is forced to work for any particular company. If you don't like the company you work for or feel "abused" you are free to find a different company to work for.

Or here's a thought: start your own company instead of bitching about inequality. Most companies start out with somebody with an idea taking a risk to create a business. They bust their asses to make it profitable and if they can't then they lose whatever collateral they put up. It's easy to complain when you didn't put anything on the line except your time and nobody forced you to do that. Try running a business instead of running your mouth.

People don't open up or run businesses as a social obligation. People open up businesses to make a profit. The more profit, the more successful the business.

Wow, thanks for that fucking lecture, Poindexter. :rolleyes:

Real estate is one of the great options for someone who doesn't want to go to college. How many people have gone to college, tried and failed in corporate America, all to end up selling real estate? If you are good, it's a great job huh? I do have one buddy who said he was a baller for 30 years then the housing crash came and that idiot didn't save anything those 30 years. You got to save. You got to assume tough times are ahead right?
The vast majority of people who enter the real estate profession fail. The year I was president of our local board, I looked at our membership records fairly closely. Eighty percent of newbies joining the board were gone before they reached three years. It is a tough profession but can be extremely rewarding.

In a way, it's a bit like opening a law practice and then going to law school. Your first day in the business, you don't know diddly squat. You know real estate law, but nothing about how to list and sell real estate.
My point is that back when my dad got a job at Ford, he didn't even finish high school or get a GED. I don't know how he got the job. He had a Greek accent perhaps they assumed he went to school in Greece, or didn't care? The Big 3 were hiring. I knew a lot of high school grad hillbillies who worked at the Big 3. They made great money, had great benefits and got pensions. Not bad for someone who didn't go to college. Today you Republicans would only want to pay my dad minimum wage. Can't raise a family on minimum wage. So America is worse for anyone who's not good in school. This has shrunk the middle class.
Flat out, bald-faced lie that Republicans only want to pay minimum wage. Grow up.

Nor should you be able to raise a family on minimum wage. That's just goofy.

High%20School-S.jpg

Or here's a thought: start your own company instead of bitching about inequality. Most companies start out with somebody with an idea taking a risk to create a business. They bust their asses to make it profitable and if they can't then they lose whatever collateral they put up. It's easy to complain when you didn't put anything on the line except your time and nobody forced you to do that. Try running a business instead of running your mouth.
Been there, done that. Your turn, genius.

Unfortunately some believe that when you have a business, you are obligated to share your profits by overpaying workers. It doesn't work that way and all the unions in the country won't correct that. When a union gets into a company, the owner simply moves the business to another location and nobody has a job.

Most businesses pay the minimum they can to get the work done. It's nothing different than those without a business do all the time. If you need major plumbing work done to your house, you usually get three estimates and most choose the lowest one. Same holds true if you get your transmission rebuilt on your car. We all choose the lowest price to get the work we need done. Why is it so wrong when businesses do the exact same thing as we do?

If we did what Libertarians and Cons wanted we'd have a small ruling class, small merchant class and the masses would be known as the rabble.

We already saw this once. Over in England. Tiny Tim? Ebanezer Scrooge? Let the rich go unchecked and we see America turning into it. And they've convinced you it's us. It's unions "ruining" America. For who? They're fucking richer than ever. Ever since the 70's. Ever since Reagan.

Have you noticed Ray? The rich are doing great. Fucking great! They won't share. Wake up.

Here come the 2000's again. Another argument republicans made defending Bush in the 2000's. When you were at war with labor.

Well I gave it back to you guys during the Obama years. If you complained about the economy I told you to

a. Go back to school
b. Start your own company
c. Go get another job

Only difference is during Obama and Biden, there are jobs to be got. During Bush, for every 1 job there were 20 people interviewing. Republicans loved it. Kept wages low.

Forum List

Back