Do you feed your pet Grain Free Food?

Attachments

• $pyrenees.jpg
    $pyrenees.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 85
I stick with Purina. So far, they have escaped tainted food for pets. But I also cook for them. They get a chicken put in a boiling pot of water along with a dash of salt and pepper, LOTS of chopped carrots and rice added in. Once the chicken is cooked, I remove all bones, chop up the skin and meat and then shred it, stir it all up and they get that with their dry Beneful dog food. So far, so good. Been doing this for the past 20 years for my furkids.

My Pyr has her job, she protects 'her' goats from other predators. She gets quality food, the best I can afford. But, she also likes to eat some hay and all the hot mash the goats will let her have (beet pulp mixed with molasses, kelp meal, and brewer's yeast, plus some oats and barley for texture). Crazy dog! She is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever owned and I will have more Pyrs as I expand my livestock operation.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/pets/285358-this-is-my-new-chihuahua-puppy.html

This is my puppy. This is a thread from this forum. I feed her steak some and let her have a little bit of coconut milk.

Easy for you. I have one of these, a Great Pyrenees. At 125 lbs, how much steak do you think I should feed her daily?

what a sweet dog

i have a chow chow

not nearly as big as your dog

I'd still bet you're not feeding your Chow steak.

what a sweet dog

i have a chow chow

not nearly as big as your dog

some but not a lot

we get beef pretty cheap out here in South Dakota

the last beef we had butchered cost 400 dollars

Like I mentioned, the house mini-doxie eats mostly cat food, it's what she likes. The Pyr get food that's costing me around $40 for 50 lbs. I try to avoid food that has corn in it, but grains, it's impossible to avoid them all. So far, my Pyr is in great condition. She was laying out in the snow and not even melting what was under her a while ago...

some but not a lot

Like I mentioned, the house mini-doxie eats mostly cat food, it's what she likes. The Pyr get food that's costing me around $40 for 50 lbs. I try to avoid food that has corn in it, but grains, it's impossible to avoid them all. So far, my Pyr is in great condition. She was laying out in the snow and not even melting what was under her a while ago...

--LOL

from what i understand they love the cold and snow

we almost adopted one

she is really a nice dog

however the lady that took her in fell in love with her

so much for that

we have a cat also baby is her name

the dog does not care about her food at all

baby is not into people food at all

try and give her some she looks at you like "really"

she is adopted and we discovered

that she uses the toilet mostly

which is nice to know so i could stop blaming the grandson for not wiping

and leaving number 2s in the toilet

--LOL

There are many examples of dogs eating a vegetarian or even vegan diet and living to a very old age. Even Guinness World Record old age.

So they must not be carnivores. Cats are obligatory carnivores, meaning they will become ill if they don't get any meat at all.

My dogs get Canine Caviar Lamb & Pearl Millet and sometimes the Chicken and Pearl Millet. In addition, I give them homemade food consisting of brown rice, green beans, scrambled egg, boiled hamburger, cottage cheese and diced chicken breast. With a few squirts of salmon oil. They are in very good health...so far. One Doberman is almost 10, the other is almost 9.

I have seen dogs live to a ripe old age when fed cheap dog food, too. Not that I advocate that, not at all!

Grain based and vegetarian are not equivalent.

Hell. I had a dog who would eat blue berries and raspberries right off the plants. He loved em.

When pups dogs will eat just about anything you care to give em. As they mature I find they get pickier on the veggies and go for the meat. Carnivors. Just like me. LOL

I would feed mine the BARF diet if I could afford it but hey, Wilderness is great food. I give em a teaspoon of the wet in it two or three times a week. You'd think they got a T-bone the way they scarf it down.

My dog loves cat food, whether it has passed through the cat first, or not. She seems to be doing well. As a matter-of-fact, my vet is pleased that she maintains a healthy weight (dachsunds often have weight problems and related musco-skeletal issues.)

Ours too, especially the smaller one. And they both think that rabbit poop is candy or something. Gotta watch them when they go in the yard, they're also nosing around looking for a treat. Ewwww.

I was wondering how many people in this forum feed there pet a grain free diet? I feed my puppy, Fancy, Taste of the Wild.

"Fancy" The Chihuahua: What is the best of dog food?

I was feeding TOTW but they have had two recalls on it from Diamond. By the time you get word that a recall is out there your dog could be dead.

I now feed Wilderness, grain free, from Blue Buffaloe. They have never had a recall. Rather costly but then I don't eat baloney and neither do my dogs.

Good to know. I just feed Fancy the orange bag, which is the puppy formula.

Fed Fancy a little steak tonight.

Hell. I had a dog who would eat blue berries and raspberries right off the plants. He loved em.

When pups dogs will eat just about anything you care to give em. As they mature I find they get pickier on the veggies and go for the meat. Carnivors. Just like me. LOL

I would feed mine the BARF diet if I could afford it but hey, Wilderness is great food. I give em a teaspoon of the wet in it two or three times a week. You'd think they got a T-bone the way they scarf it down.

With six cats in residence, my house dog gets plenty of barf in her diet. Like I mentioned, processed through the cats, or not, she does pretty well. I've tried feeding her dog food and the only time she'll eat it is when she can take it from the neighbor's Rottweiler's bowl.

While they are not vegetarians, canids will eat the gut and contents of their kills when hunting in the wild. That means, they do need some of that vegetative material, when pre-processed by their prey.

some but not a lot

--LOL

from what i understand they love the cold and snow

we almost adopted one

she is really a nice dog

however the lady that took her in fell in love with her

so much for that

we have a cat also baby is her name

the dog does not care about her food at all

baby is not into people food at all

try and give her some she looks at you like "really"

she is adopted and we discovered

that she uses the toilet mostly

which is nice to know so i could stop blaming the grandson for not wiping

and leaving number 2s in the toilet

--LOL

Pyrs are great guardians, that's what they've been bred for. They don't require high activity and are really calm tempered. They don't always get on very well with other dogs because they also tend to be very independent Alpha-type dogs. Problem is, they are very large guardians, with lots and lots of white hair. They have a double undercoat that sheds. My Pyr sheds so heavily, I don't even bother combing or brushing her, I just thatch her. Not only would I not have my Pyr indoors, she hates being indoors or confined in any way, although she respects her fenced boundaries well enough.
Some of my cats will eat people food, some won't. My Sherman is particularly fond of pastries.

There are many examples of dogs eating a vegetarian or even vegan diet and living to a very old age. Even Guinness World Record old age.

So they must not be carnivores. Cats are obligatory carnivores, meaning they will become ill if they don't get any meat at all.

My dogs get Canine Caviar Lamb & Pearl Millet and sometimes the Chicken and Pearl Millet. In addition, I give them homemade food consisting of brown rice, green beans, scrambled egg, boiled hamburger, cottage cheese and diced chicken breast. With a few squirts of salmon oil. They are in very good health...so far. One Doberman is almost 10, the other is almost 9.

I have seen dogs live to a ripe old age when fed cheap dog food, too. Not that I advocate that, not at all!

Okay, but vegetarians and vegans do eat grains. And I was responding to whether or not dogs are carnivores. They are apparently not if they can thrive on a vegetarian or vegan diet, including grains.

Okay, but vegetarians and vegans do eat grains. And I was responding to whether or not dogs are carnivores. They are apparently not if they can thrive on a vegetarian or vegan diet, including grains.

Dogs are most definitely carnivores, despite human efforts to make them something else.

Myths About Raw: Are dogs omnivores?

dogs Have an undeniable carnivorous bias

the problem with a vegetarian diet is the lagoons. Lagoons such as beans and peanuts are unhealthy. Look up the Paleo Diet to verify. You need protein. Nuts are good for you but the ones in the stores are unhealthy because they are cooked in peanut oil. Peanuts are linked to allergies in numerous studies. Allergies cause immune system deficiency which causes infection and viruses to get the upper hand. NO bread, NO dairy, NO gluten, ONlY water. That means fruits, nuts, veggies, and meats. This a high protein diet. Health programs like cross fit and p90x both follow the paleo diet.

Forum List

Back