So now I hate my husband: he wants to call the pup Abigail.

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
No freaking way; :) Female black and tan coon hound from a fabulous line of great hunting dogs.

Suggestions are welcome but remember I am the one who started Sandman Cathaoulas and named my most wonderful beasties.

It's hard to name a girl. Calling Ripley made so much sense ( Rhodesian Ridgeback in case you dont know. Taveller nailed it with her.

I can't believe he wants Abigail. :eusa_angel:

Last edited:
Open to any suggestions. But remember I had dogs called Jim Dandy, Ruby Starr, American Bad Ass. Dusty Roads, Raven, New Jack.

My fave...when I called him Jericho. Bay dog. Perfect.

What the heck am I going to call some bitch (in the good canine sense) that's black and tan?

Will take on any suggestions.

:)

Last edited:
In the William Humphrey's novel 'Home from the Hills', Captain Wade named his Catahoula hog dog 'Deuteronomy',

from the passage in that book:

Deuteronomy 23:18 "Thou shalt not bring the hire of a whore, or the price of a dog, into the house of the LORD thy God for any vow: for even both these are abomination unto the LORD thy God."

In the book, the dog had been owned by Lousianians in a fundamentalist church that believed that passage meant it was a sin to sell a dog.

Consequently, Captain Wade acquired the dog by having it stolen for him.

Nyx - Greek goddess of the night. It may also be that my suggestion is somewhat influenced by Stevie Nicks, whose name always appealed to me.

What is wrong with Abigail, like rightwinger says, Abby for short. Aren't coonhounds kind of a southern dog, and isn't Abigail kind of a southern name?

I also like Lorelei, which was the name of a dog in a bizarre novel called "The Dogs of Babel: A Novel" by Carolyn Parkhurst.

Deuteronomy...I like that, but it strikes me as more of a male name.

Last edited:
I think Abby or Abigail is very cute.

Open to any suggestions. But remember I had dogs called Jim Dandy, Ruby Starr, American Bad Ass. Dusty Roads, Raven, New Jack.

My fave...when I called him Jericho. Bay dog. Perfect.

What the heck am I going to call some bitch (in the good canine sense) that's black and tan?

Will take on any suggestions.

:)

Calamity Jane.
Belle Star, aka Myra Maybell.

>

As the owner of an Australian Shepard named "Abey" (spelling on purpose), ya what's the problem?

Abey (or Abby) as a common contraction of Abigail is a very good name for a dog for a couple of reasons.

1. The name is not common. Which can be useful especially if none of your family or friends has Abey (Abby) as a name.

2. It's an excellent "command name" for the dog since it is normally pronounced as two syllables. It's easy to emphasize for command emphasis when calling the dog or issuing commands such as "Abey sit", "Abey come", "Abey stay". The two syllable name gets the dogs attention which is then followed by a command word.

>>>>

Need pics to suggest names!

My experience with Abby as a dog's name....kid down the street had wiener dogs. I went over one day, knocked on the door, her sister opened the door and damn if that Abby wiener dog didn't run up to me, growling and barking, and chomp down on my ankle, breaking the skin. :mad:

Yeah, the name Abby gets a no vote from me.

I haven't checked in for forever. Great suggestions all.

Had a great breeder pass on that I knew.

This man, this man. Orval took a dying breed and brought the breed back to life. And he kept it alive. He just passed in February. Grayson Louisiana.

I knew him from Winnfield and my hog bays. He was dedicated to Plott hounds. He was one hell of a dog man. RIP old friend.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I think she's going to be my Raven. I think she'll be my Raven

1973676.jpg

Obituary For: Orval Evon Roberts | Riser Funeral Homes

>

As the owner of an Australian Shepard named "Abey" (spelling on purpose), ya what's the problem?

Abey (or Abby) as a common contraction of Abigail is a very good name for a dog for a couple of reasons.

1. The name is not common. Which can be useful especially if none of your family or friends has Abey (Abby) as a name.

2. It's an excellent "command name" for the dog since it is normally pronounced as two syllables. It's easy to emphasize for command emphasis when calling the dog or issuing commands such as "Abey sit", "Abey come", "Abey stay". The two syllable name gets the dogs attention which is then followed by a command word.

>>>>

I really do love the name. Just I won't be out there calling it. And I'll be damned if my husband will. :lol:

:eusa_angel:

Just fun. One of my favorites ever was this Aussie called Sally. A lot of years back in ACME pet.

Two syllables. She tried to work a plane always. If you are an aussie shep lover you should have seen what sally did.

Honest she tried to herd the planes. It was wonderous.

I haven't checked in for forever. Great suggestions all.

Had a great breeder pass on that I knew.

This man, this man. Orval took a dying breed and brought the breed back to life. And he kept it alive. He just passed in February. Grayson Louisiana.

I knew him from Winnfield and my hog bays. He was dedicated to Plott hounds. He was one hell of a dog man. RIP old friend.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I think she's going to be my Raven. I think she'll be my Raven

1973676.jpg

Obituary For: Orval Evon Roberts | Riser Funeral Homes

I thought you already had a dog named Raven? It's in your list in your opening post. If so, shouldn't you come up with something unique?

(sorry...in your second post in the thread)

Last edited:
No freaking way; :) Female black and tan coon hound from a fabulous line of great hunting dogs.

Suggestions are welcome but remember I am the one who started Sandman Cathaoulas and named my most wonderful beasties.

It's hard to name a girl. Calling Ripley made so much sense ( Rhodesian Ridgeback in case you dont know. Taveller nailed it with her.

Roscoe. I have always wanted to name a dog Roscoe. Male or female, doesn't matter. Roscoe.

Perfect name for a coon hound...

Just sayin'...

My second thought was...Lilith.

Oh my gosh, now not for a hunting dog but oh heck think siamese and burmese...perfecto mundo.

I have to pass this on. I've been blessed with a siamese "hershey" chocolate point of course and "nitro" my burmese. They were to die for.

Lillith is an awesome name for a special cat. Thank you so much. I shall pass that on.

:clap2:

Roscoe. I have always wanted to name a dog Roscoe. Male or female, doesn't matter. Roscoe.

Perfect name for a coon hound...

Just sayin'...

Too funny.

It's a girl.

:lol:

And she will not be named Roscoe; but truly all I think of is a big basset when you say that name. I did know a basset called George. He used to sing to "some day my prince will come". Well not sing exactly he'd just sort of croon along.

I love names for beasties and I really do think they should be special.

My birds were always named for what they were. My two rosellas were Gypsy and Tramp.

:eusa_angel:

My yellow nape (rescue) Phoenix. So many names so many babies.

Naming to me is very important. Be it your children (we do have to include them in here :eusa_angel:) or your pups, kitties or birds or others (stubby was a black and white rat who made it out of a python cage) . Shit happens. :lol:And you name them.

Oh and for those that don't know what a rosella looks like. I'm telling you. You see the hand of the Lord painting rosellas. And they have the sweetest disposition.

easternrosella3.jpg

Forum List

Back