Zone1 Do Souls Exist Prior to Conception?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
I am trying to grasp the existence of souls as separate from our physical bodies. Are souls created at the moment of conception, or do they already exist beforehand? On a biological level, it seems that the penetration of a human egg by a sperm cell is hardly a metaphysical event. On a religious level, however, the Bible says that Jesus (The Word) existed even before Mary became pregnant.

This suggests to me that other souls may exist prior to human conception as well as after physical death. In that case, it seems that these eternal souls might inhabit our bodies only during our lifetimes before being reincarnated in someone else's body. Is this antithetical to Christian or other religious beliefs? If so, please explain.

Last edited:
I am trying to grasp the existence of souls as separate from our physical bodies. Are souls created at the moment of conception, or do they already exist beforehand? On a biological level, it seems that the penetration of a human egg by a sperm cell is hardly a metaphysical event. On a religious level, however, the Bible says that Jesus (The Word) existed even before Mary became pregnant.

This suggests to me that other souls exist prior to human conception as well as after physical death. In that case, it seems that these eternal souls inhabit our bodies only during our lifetimes before being reincarnated in someone else's body. Is this antithetical to Christian or other religious beliefs? If so, please explain.
are you an atheist??

Doesn't appear the soul is in some place waiting for a body. It appears that the soul and body begin at conception,

Genesis 2:7 Then the Lord God formed a man[a] from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

See Michael Newton .
That should get you started , and if it is all too much to believe , then don''t

Destiny of Souls is a book by Dr. Michael Newton (9 December 1931 – 22 September 2016), published in 2000. Newton was a hypnotherapist who developed his own age regression technique. The Michael Newton Institute for Life Between Lives Hypnotherapy is a ‘non-profit’ organization formed in 2002. The Institute was set up to train qualified hypnotherapists to continue Dr Newton's work on past lives and spiritual realms.

Summary​

In his second book, and through what he calls research into the afterlife, Michael Newton claims to have documented the results of his clinical work in spiritual hypnotherapy. These are presented in a form of case studies and Newton asserts that they uncover the hidden aspects of the spirit world.

are you an atheist??
Not at all. I am a Christian/Agnostic who believes in Jesus' teachings and sacrifice, but I also believe that much of the divine is beyond human understanding. As a result, I think that true atheists are arrogant morons who think they understand everything.

Not at all. I am a Christian/Agnostic who believes in Jesus' teachings and sacrifice, but I also believe that much of the divine is beyond human understanding. As a result, I think that atheists are arrogant morons who think they know it all.
as you said,, some things are beyond human understanding and why the bible was written,,,

I just dont like atheist starting threads mocking religions in the guise of asking dumb questions

See Michael Newton .
That should get you started , and if it is all too much to believe , then don''t

Destiny of Souls is a book by Dr. Michael Newton (9 December 1931 – 22 September 2016), published in 2000. Newton was a hypnotherapist who developed his own age regression technique. The Michael Newton Institute for Life Between Lives Hypnotherapy is a ‘non-profit’ organization formed in 2002. The Institute was set up to train qualified hypnotherapists to continue Dr Newton's work on past lives and spiritual realms.

Summary​

In his second book, and through what he calls research into the afterlife, Michael Newton claims to have documented the results of his clinical work in spiritual hypnotherapy. These are presented in a form of case studies and Newton asserts that they uncover the hidden aspects of the spirit world.

Why don't YOU summarize his thesis?

as you said,, some things are beyond human understanding and why the bible was written,,,

I just dont like atheist starting threads mocking religions in the guise of asking dumb questions
If you referring to my OP, please explain. If not, why are you making these comments?

If you referring to my OP, please explain. If not, why are you making these comments?
you clarified thats not what you are doing,,, so case closed,,

as for souls I am still trying to figure out what they are,, havent even gotten to when they start,,,

See Michael Newton .

Summary​

There are those who believe that a life is not a one and done deal. Reincarnation is the term used to describe the idea that a soul does not die when the physical body does, and actually returns to an afterlife where souls are kind of refurbished and prepared for the next life they will live. There are cases where under hypnosis a person may recall past lives and places they've never been, and languages they do not know in their current life. The beauty of it is that there is no heaven and no hell, and we are reunited with loved ones who have previously passed.

I have heard that in the Mormon faith, we chose the life we are given......suggesting that our souls exist before we do.

I have no idea if this is true or not as I'm not a Mormon........and by golly if it is true, I can only ask 'What the hell was I thinking to chose this???'

This suggests to me that other souls may exist prior to human conception as well as after physical death. In that case, it seems that these eternal souls might inhabit our bodies only during our lifetimes before being reincarnated in someone else's body. Is this antithetical to Christian or other religious beliefs? If so, please explain.
I struggle with the concept that souls actually exist. If they do, where are they?

See Michael Newton .

Summary​

Here we go...

Those some things from ages ago? We now understand many. Given enough time, we will understand even more that superstitious people believe is unknowable.

Depends on the religion and the person teaching that religion.

I've heard it all................
Souls are fallen angels that are put into human bodies.
Souls don't exist until the embryo is created.
Souls are previous life forces of other living things.
Souls are in limited number, and not everybody has one..........this is why there are evil people.

Tons of other stuff......

I posted something similar to what you are alluding to a few years ago here. I think there is something beyond the physical realm that we do not understand that is infinite. Souls may be a part of that and life/physical existence is just a brief moment in time for a soul to experience mortality.

Yes, every sperm has a soul and a spirit which is why you are not supposed to be whackin' it.

Why don't YOU summarize his thesis?
Why ? To make up for your laziness ?
Most americans do not know how to DYOR and our universities often have to coach them in this and related areas .

You want , you pay . But you cannot afford me .

Or maybe there are no such things as souls and the soul is just a concept humans invented to explain consciousness and sentience.

Forum List

Back