Do People who retire in foreign countries still get to vote in American elections?

Lisa558

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2021
It doesn‘t seem right that people who have rejected America should still get a voice in how it is run. I know two people - both self-loathing white leftists who constantly complain that this county is racist - who are moving to Central America when they retire at the end of the year.

Why should people who abandon their own country be able to continue to vote for destructive policies?

It doesn‘t seem right that people who have rejected America should still get a voice in how it is run. I know two people - both self-loathing white leftists who constantly complain that this county is racist - who are moving to Central America when they retire at the end of the year.

Why should people who abandon their own country be able to continue to vote for destructive policies?

So it seems you are saying they can, you know they can, you don't feel it's right but you still posted your topic as a question.

Why is that?

Here are the rules. Something I find interesting if your born overseas to American ciitizen and are 18 you can vote in the U.S.

I don’t see how someone who is a permanent resident of another country can vote in a local or state election.

Which town or county do you vote in?

I can see where some people keep a winter residence in another country and absentee vote

It isn't only Leftists who get to vote from afar. I have 5 friends who moved to SE Asia, and the Phillipines. They also get a vote, and they vote conservative/Republican. The reason it's still relevant that they get to vote, is that they still have interests in the US. They pay taxes, own land, and have family here. So there is no reason they shouldn't have a vote.

To me, if a person relocates to another country, their vote shouldn't count. Most likely they won't care one way or another anymore since they packed up and left anyway.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Nonsense they are still citizens, and pay taxes.

There are a lot of people who don't pay taxes. For instance, old people, especially if they are in retirement homes and living on SS.
So be it. Now if they own land, and pay taxes, they should get to vote. If not..? They are dependents. Letting those whom aren't currently bought in decide the decision making roles, and rules, is like letting your children decide the household budget, and rules. It's ludicrous.

There are a lot of people who don't pay taxes. For instance, old people, especially if they are in retirement homes and living on SS.

Whether you pay taxes or not, that person on the ballot is still representing you and you should have a right to pick your representative

Whether you pay taxes or not, that person on the ballot is still representing you and you should have a right to pick your representative
Bullshit. That's how a nation achieves insolvency. Then voters just vote for whomever promises more gifts from the taxpayers treasury. Which has been the downfall of every Democracy in History. Its also the Democratic parties go to strategy to win votes.

I don’t see how someone who is a permanent resident of another country can vote in a local or state election.

Which town or county do you vote in?

I can see where some people keep a winter residence in another country and absentee vote
I’m not talking about local elections. I’m talking about people who decided that a foreign country is better than America and moved there to spend the remainder of their life. Why should they have a say in decisions that won’t impact them?

Bullshit. That's how a nation achieves insolvency. Then voters just vote for whomever promises more gifts from the taxpayers treasury. Which has been the downfall of every Democracy in History. Its also the Democratic parties go to strategy to win votes.
Yup….there was a famous quote (I’ve been looking for it and haven’t found it yet) that says something like “as soon as people can vote themselves money from the Treasury, that’s the end of the Republic.”

Forum List

Back