Do Atheists Have a Moral Code?

No. "Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hoppy". Again, a quote from Penn Jillette.

I do not believe in God or God's, or Goddesses. It is not faith. It is a complete lack of faith.
Duly noted. If it's lack of faith, then it's just your opinion. NBD. I can take or leave your opinion which I'll leave. You should just sit on the sidelines and let the big boys fight it out. Can you just STFU and sit on the sidelines with your opinion?

The facts are we know spacetime exists. We know the universe, Earth, and everything in it exists. We all have all the energy of the universe with light and electromagnetic energy. That's only the first day.

Yes, we know the universe exists

To assume that it could not exist without a magical creature cooking it up is childish

No. "Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hoppy". Again, a quote from Penn Jillette.

I do not believe in God or God's, or Goddesses. It is not faith. It is a complete lack of faith.

Your lack of faith is wholly unimpressive. How do I know? You are old, but you expect my students, very young students, to wear useless cotton cloth over their mugs 8 hours a day, for going on 1.5 years not, to "keep you safe".

Am I wrong about that? Last I checked I was not. I surely hope I am, because the above just underlines that our secular society is petrified of their own death.

And young children pay the price.

Your lack of faith is wholly unimpressive. How do I know? You are old, but you expect my students, very young students, to wear useless cotton cloth over their mugs 8 hours a day, for going on 1.5 years not, to "keep you safe".

Yes, I do want to protect unvaccinated students from the worst epidemic in a hundred years

I dont want them to catch it or spread it to others

Duly noted. If it's lack of faith, then it's just your opinion. NBD. I can take or leave your opinion which I'll leave. You should just sit on the sidelines and let the big boys fight it out. Can you just STFU and sit on the sidelines with your opinion?

LMAO!! Oh, so I can only participate if I have faith. And if I have faith, then atheism is my religion. Do you hear yourself?

I will participate in any discussion that interests me on these forums. I am sorry if my posts make you uncomfortable.

No, the theory is that this magical creature created everything and watches everything that 7 billion people do
Must be your theory then. Believers do not equate fictional a genii with God. You shouldn't either.

No.
If they had an objective moral code, it would be written and published widely.
I saw a poll on Quora. The question was:"Is lying moral". Out of eight atheists who answered, 7 said lying was moral sometimes. That's why theists don't trust you.
Of course.........the Atheist has a moral code......or they would find themselves imprisoned for crimes against humanity, as any societies morality is reflected within that societies LAW.

Its not an issue of the existence of morality, its an argument of where and how the moral compass of mankind came into existence. The Atheist must argue that morality was innately evolved from lower life forms found to exist in nature, if not they must confess to the transcendence of morality and a moral lawgiver. But they want and demand everyone to believe that morality has evolved from animals such a mice, frogs, fish......etc.,

The major problem that the Atheist must contend with is the fact that all moral codes from all around the world are found to exist within the written record of the Holy Scriptures.

I defy anyone to present a moral code that is not recorded in scripture. Because there might be more moral codes than the Atheist wishes to obey in no indication of an errant moral code.

A small list of moral codes found to exist in scripture. 1. Avoid hatred (Matt. 5:21-22) 2. No lustful thinking (Matthew 5:28) 3. No unfair judgements (Matt. 7:1-2) 4. Love of enemies (Matt. 5:44) 5. Reconciliation (Matt. 5:24) 6. Non-resistance (Matt. 5:38-39) 7. Avoiding anxiety (Matt. 6:25,29) 8. Self examination (Matt. 7:3-5) 9. Respect for government (Rom. 13:1-7) 10. Equality of man (James 2:1-4) 11. Universal brotherhood (Matt. 23:9) 12. Forgiveness (Mark 11:25) 13. Thrift and Industry, honest hard work (Eph. 4:28) 14. Progress (Heb. 6:1) 15. The value of truth (2 Cor. 13:8) 16. Truth as the basic tenet of FREEDOM (John 8:32) 17. Humility (Luke 14:11) 18. Benevolence (Acts 20:35) Honesty (Rom. 12:17) 19. A single standard of morality (as morality exists in all civilized societies) (Eph. 4:4) 20. Unselfishness (12:10)

Referenced from a 1929 debate between a Christian and an Atheist. During the time period when the SCOPES MONKEY trail was the secular in vouge progressive band wagon to jump aboard.

And we can't exclude the basic 10 commandments of morality found within the Holy Scriptures, that are common to most societies on earth. Except those societies where NATURE and SAVAGERY rules. (Kind'a contradicts the basic concept of an evolving morality from nature.) Just like the existence of modern day primates.....the supposed parent of all mankind..........I guess the one's that sill exist into the modern era where just to stupid to evolve.....or they missed the memo concerning natures mission statement. :laughing0301:

Last edited:
Of course.........the Atheist has a moral code......or they would find themselves imprisoned for crimes against humanity, as any societies morality is reflected within that societies LAW.

Its not an issue of the existence of morality, its an argument of where and how the moral compass of mankind came into existence. The Atheist must argue that morality was innately evolved from lower life forms found to exist in nature, if not they must confess to the transcendence of morality and a moral lawgiver. But they want and demand everyone to believe that morality has evolved from animals such a mice, frogs, fish......etc.,

The major problem that the Atheist must contend with is the fact that all moral codes from all around the world are found to exist within the written record of the Holy Scriptures.

I defy anyone to present a moral code that is not recorded in scripture. Because there might be more moral codes than the Atheist wishes to obey in no indication of an errant moral code.

A small list of moral codes found to exist in scripture. 1. Avoid hatred (Matt. 5:21-22) 2. No lustful thinking (Matthew 5:28) 3. No unfair judgements (Matt. 7:1-2) 4. Love of enemies (Matt. 5:44) 5. Reconciliation (Matt. 5:24) 6. Non-resistance (Matt. 5:38-39) 7. Avoiding anxiety (Matt. 6:25,29) 8. Self examination (Matt. 7:3-5) 9. Respect for government (Rom. 13:1-7) 10. Equality of man (James 2:1-4) 11. Universal brotherhood (Matt. 23:9) 12. Forgiveness (Mark 11:25) 13. Thrift and Industry, honest hard work (Eph. 4:28) 14. Progress (Heb. 6:1) 15. The value of truth (2 Cor. 13:8) 16. Truth as the basic tenet of FREEDOM (John 8:32) 17. Humility (Luke 14:11) 18. Benevolence (Acts 20:35) Honesty (Rom. 12:17) 19. A single standard of morality (as morality exists in all civilized societies) (Eph. 4:4) 20. Unselfishness (12:10)

Referenced from a 1929 debate between a Christian and an Atheist. During the time period when the SCOPES MONKEY trail was the secular in vouge progressive band wagon to jump aboard.

And we can't exclude the basic 10 commandments of morality found within the Holy Scriptures, that are common to most societies on earth. Except those societies where NATURE and SAVAGERY rules. (Kind'a contradicts the basic concept of an evolving morality from nature.) Just like the existence of modern day primates.....the supposed parent of all mankind..........I guess the one's that sill exist into the modern era where just to stupid to evolve.....or they missed the memo concerning natures mission statement. :laughing0301:

The 10 Commandments are religious dogma with morality added in places. The Code of Hammurabi predates the 10 Commandments.

Here are the 10 Commandments you think are the basis for morality:

1. You shall have no other Gods before me.
2. You shall make no idols.
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.
5. Honor your Mother and your Father.
6. You shall not commit murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10. You shall not covet.

4 of the commandments deal with morality. You could make a case for the 5th commandment, but given the many horrific parents I have known, I would disagree.

So 6 of the 10 Commandments have nothing to do with morality. 4 of them are strictly rules for the specific religion.

The 10 Commandments are religious dogma with morality added in places. The Code of Hammurabi predates the 10 Commandments.

Here are the 10 Commandments you think are the basis for morality:

1. You shall have no other Gods before me.
2. You shall make no idols.
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.
5. Honor your Mother and your Father.
6. You shall not commit murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10. You shall not covet.

4 of the commandments deal with morality. You could make a case for the 5th commandment, but given the many horrific parents I have known, I would disagree.

So 6 of the 10 Commandments have nothing to do with morality. 4 of them are strictly rules for the specific religion.
As you just demonstrated..........Morality has existed since time immemorial. And also as pointed out.......simply because there are features of Biblical Morality that the ATHEIST does not want to follow (surprise, surprise) is no indication that all the codes of morality followed in the civilized word cannot be found in the Holy Scriptures.

Instead of attempting to present examples of morality that do not exist in the scriptures you attempt to deflect like a liberal and point out examples of Biblical morality that you do not want to accept as morality. LMAO :abgg2q.jpg: Then you attempt to present a logical fallacy and begin an argument of your choosing, a negative argument that no one (except you) has even attempted. An argument that is based upon nothing but Ad Hominem Subjective BS Hoping to deflect away from addressing the question in debate.........the origins of morality.

I pointed out............that would be the 1st thing you charged............you did not refute the existence of morality found in the Holy Scriptures......you attempted make the argument about moral codes that YOU DO NOT WANT TO ACCEPT or live by.......again, LMAO. Because you are immoral and reject them..........that does not mean they do not exist.

Question? How can you prove that the moral code found in the 10 commandments did not exist in the form of an oral history before the Hebrews accepted them as LAW? You cannot, thus the BS subjective deflection. What's to stop anyone from making a counter claim ............The Code of Hammurabi parroted its moral code from the oral history of the Jews? :dunno:

Even if you accept the code of Hammurabi........you still have to admit that morality is TRANSCENDENT to mankind and came about via a moral LAW GIVER, greater than man.

You never thought that argument completely through did ya "Sparky"? I know, I know, its the 93% of the world's population that accepts morality as a transcendent authority from a CREATOR that must be crazy........its the 7% secular atheists that are the only one's smart enough to know that morality evolved from mice and frogs.

Again.......real slow so even a child can comprehend it, Show us an example of a moral code (supposedly naturally and innately) that does not exist in the Holy Scriptures. :popcorn:

Last edited:
Not really.

Lying
Using your children for food
Using your children for sex (ugh)

That some morals vary by cultural--say, one wife or two or whatever--does not mean morality is relative.
Of course it does.

Morals have changed over time therefore they are relative

050302_10command_hmed_7a.jpg

To me, it's just your opinion and some atheist celebrity's. He's a magician or some trickster who can easily fool you. Why can't you express your own belief and evidence? All you care about is semantics instead of anything credible or with evidence. Face it, you're a weak atheist and atheists have no moral code.

OTOH, Christians have Moses and the Ten Commandments on the Supreme Court building and the Ten Commandments in public squares across the nation.

Maybe the political forum will suit you better. What if I said, I got Paul the Apostle to back me up? I guess his credibility would trump your celebrity's cred.

050302_10command_hmed_7a.jpg

To me, it's just your opinion and some atheist celebrity's. He's a magician or some trickster who can easily fool you. Why can't you express your own belief and evidence? All you care about is semantics instead of anything credible or with evidence. Face it, you're a weak atheist and atheists have no moral code.

OTOH, Christians have Moses and the Ten Commandments on the Supreme Court building and the Ten Commandments in public squares across the nation.

Maybe the political forum will suit you better. What if I said, I got Paul the Apostle to back me up? I guess his credibility would trump your celebrity's cred.
So then all atheists are thieves, murderers , rapists etc?

If one abstains from those things whether he believes in a god or not then he is following a moral code.

Last edited:
The history of human beings is a study in relative morals.
Only because man is subjective rather than objective.

Morals are effectively standards. For any given thing there exists a standard which is the highest possible standard. This standard exists independent of anything else. It is in effect a universal standard. It exists for a reason. When we deviate from this standard and normalize our deviance from the standard, eventually the reason the standard exists will be discovered. The reason this happens is because error cannot stand. Eventually error will fail and the truth will be discovered. Thus proving that morals cannot be anything we want them to be but are indeed based upon some universal code of common decency that is independent of man.

So the question that naturally begs to be asked is if there is a universal code of common decency that is independent of man how come we all don't behave the same way when it comes to right and wrong? The reason man doesn't behave the same way is because of subjectivity. The difference between being objective and being subjective is bias. Bias is eliminated when there is no preference for an outcome. To eliminate a preference for an outcome one must have no thought of the consequences to one's self. If one does not practice this they will see subjective truth instead of objective truth. Subjective truth leads to moral relativism. Where consequences to self and preferences for an outcome leads to rationalizations of right and wrong.

No.
If they had an objective moral code, it would be written and published widely.
I saw a poll on Quora. The question was:"Is lying moral". Out of eight atheists who answered, 7 said lying was moral sometimes. That's why theists don't trust you.

No, everyone lies.

Romans 3:4 “God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.”

And we all have an inner moral code that tells us that lying is wrong, that is, a conscience given to us by God.

Now what is head scratching is why we all violate this inner voice at some point. Equally confusing is how we can stop feeling guilty about doing bad things, but this is covered in the Bible as well.

1 Timothy 4:2 "Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron."

Violating your conscience over time seems to dull the voice.

But another equally troubling, if not more troubling, approach is to call bad, good. For example, when slavery was legal they simply rationalized it by saying that black folk were simply glorified apes. Dehumanizing people is intellectual gymnastics that allows us to rationalize away such things as slavery or genocide.

So Jews were vermin, slaves were glorified apes, and the unborn globs of lifeless tissue. All 3 statements dehumanize those we wish to either use as beasts of burden or simply destroy and get rid of for the purposes of power and money.

But we all have a conscience, which means we will all be held accountable for ignoring it.

Then again they say sociopaths have no conscience, so only God knows how he will deal with those folks.

Only because man is subjective rather than objective.

Morals are effectively standards. For any given thing there exists a standard which is the highest possible standard. This standard exists independent of anything else. It is in effect a universal standard. It exists for a reason. When we deviate from this standard and normalize our deviance from the standard, eventually the reason the standard exists will be discovered. The reason this happens is because error cannot stand. Eventually error will fail and the truth will be discovered. Thus proving that morals cannot be anything we want them to be but are indeed based upon some universal code of common decency that is independent of man.

So the question that naturally begs to be asked is if there is a universal code of common decency that is independent of man how come we all don't behave the same way when it comes to right and wrong? The reason man doesn't behave the same way is because of subjectivity. The difference between being objective and being subjective is bias. Bias is eliminated when there is no preference for an outcome. To eliminate a preference for an outcome one must have no thought of the consequences to one's self. If one does not practice this they will see subjective truth instead of objective truth. Subjective truth leads to moral relativism. Where consequences to self and preferences for an outcome leads to rationalizations of right and wrong.
Man makes the laws that reflect his morality man is subjective, laws are subjective, morality is subjective.

Morality is nothing but a societal agreed upon list of acceptable or unacceptable behaviors

Man makes the laws that reflect his morality man is subjective, laws are subjective, morality is subjective.

Morality is nothing but a societal agreed upon list of acceptable or unacceptable behaviors
But standards, logic and truth are not subjective. You can't ignore this self evident fact and then try to use man's subjectivity to argue that standards, logic and truth can be anything you want them to be.

But this seems to prove what I originally said... that atheists can have a moral code but only a relativistic moral code.

Forum List

Back