What's new
US Message Board 🦅 Political Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do Atheists Have a Moral Code?

Viktor

Diamond Member
Reaction score
No.
If they had an objective moral code, it would be written and published widely.
I saw a poll on Quora. The question was:"Is lying moral". Out of eight atheists who answered, 7 said lying was moral sometimes. That's why theists don't trust you.

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
So we're pretending that theists don't lie?

:auiqs.jpg:

frigidweirdo

Platinum Member
Reaction score
No.
I saw a poll on Quora. The question was:"Is lying moral". Out of eight atheists who answered, 7 said lying was moral sometimes. That's why theists don't trust you.

This is silly.

Atheists are people who believe there is no God.

There's nothing here about a moral code. Different atheists will be different.

Many people who believe in God also don't have a "Moral code", or their "moral code" is not to your liking.

Blues Man

Gold Member
Reaction score
No.
Anyone can have a moral code.

Blues Man

Gold Member
Reaction score
Theists know that lying is wrong.
and they do it anyway

Tell you what the next time your wife asks you if she looks fat you tell her the truth

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, but yes I do have a moral code. I do everything I can to avoid hurting another person.

As for the lying, there are times when that is the best thing to do. Why would you tell a 2 or 3 year old that there was no Santa?

Whether theists trust me or not is not an issue for me. That is for them. Whether I trust someone or not is not based on theist or atheist.

Oh, and my moral code does not require the threat of eternal damnation. I live the way I live because it is the right way to live.

surada

Platinum Member
Reaction score
No.

Trump Christians lie all the time..

surada

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, but yes I do have a moral code. I do everything I can to avoid hurting another person.

As for the lying, there are times when that is the best thing to do. Why would you tell a 2 or 3 year old that there was no Santa?

Whether theists trust me or not is not an issue for me. That is for them. Whether I trust someone or not is not based on theist or atheist.

Oh, and my moral code does not require the threat of eternal damnation. I live the way I live because it is the right way to live.

Great post. Of course Atheists have morals.. They object to lying, cheating, slander, theft, adultery etc.

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.

WillHaftawaite

Diamond Member
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Godboy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
No.
Isnt lying ok sometimes? How many Christians here believed in Santa when they were young? How many Christian parents here tell their kids about Santa?

surada

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Trump owns you

What silly thing to say. He has a 50 year track record as a pompous liar and cheat. That's why he's had 3500 lawsuits.

My standards are too high for Trump.

WillHaftawaite

Diamond Member
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What silly thing to say. He has a 50 year track record as a pompous liar and cheat. That's why he's had 3500 lawsuits.

You have standards?

Did you vote for Hillary? Biden?

if so, you have NO standards

OP
Viktor

Viktor

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Isnt lying ok sometimes? How many Christians here believed in Santa when they were young? How many Christian parents here tell their kids about Santa?
Children know that Santa is a fairy tale

SweetSue92

Platinum Member
Reaction score
No.

Yes, most people do, atheists included. It is "written on their hearts". Romans 2:14.

People who do not recognize morality or cannot respond to it are pathological for whatever reason. They are very rare, thank God.

SweetSue92

Platinum Member
Reaction score

As I said. You live the way you live because God put it there. Otherwise, you would live like an animal. Sheer instinct, no higher functioning at all.

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$350.00

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List