Disruptive student behavior in Virginia

I proposed PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY for the students. What are you proposing? How close are you to the problem? Do you have kids in America’s public school system or have you had kids in this country’s public school system? If not, you are in no position to tell me to STFU.
I'm proposing personal accountability for the PARENTS.
Bad behaviour doesn't begin at school, it begins at home.

I'm not sure how you force personal accountability onto a 6 year old, AT ALL.
This is not something they fully comprehend at that age.
And a 12 year old who's not been taught that at home will never learn it at school.

But when a kid breaks the rules
If it is a crime, arrest them, charge them, and make the parents come to the jail to get them and to court for their hearings.
If it's not a crime suspend the kid and have the parents come to school to apply for readmission.
The problem starts with parents, it can only be solved by parents.

I'm proposing personal accountability for the PARENTS.
Bad behaviour doesn't begin at school, it begins at home.

I'm not sure how you force personal accountability onto a 6 year old, AT ALL.
This is not something they fully comprehend at that age.
And a 12 year old who's not been taught that at home will never learn it at school.

But when a kid breaks the rules
If it is a crime, arrest them, charge them, and make the parents come to the jail to get them and to court for their hearings.
If it's not a crime suspend the kid and have the parents come to school to apply for readmission.
The problem starts with parents, it can only be solved by parents.
Ok, we agree on accountability with the parents. As far as the students and personal accountability, I believe that a school can and should create and enforce a culture of personal accountability from age 6 through 18.

Kids who come from no accountability at home can absolutely learn at any age.

Ok, we agree on accountability with the parents. As far as the students and personal accountability, I believe that a school can and should create and enforce a culture of personal accountability from age 6 through 18.

Kids who come from no accountability at home can absolutely learn at any age.
OK
And how are you going to enforce your accountability on a 6'2" 230 kid who's never been disciplined at home?
Can't physically punish him.
Can't take his phone or computer.

absent such training at home how is it enforced in the school.

Actually, this is an issue that's been developing for 60+ years.
It started when parents began using the schools as a "free" babysitter.
The "babysitter" paradigm is what needs to end.

Disruptive student behavior throughout Virginia is being addressed by the Legislature. Republicans want stricter punishments; largely, suspensions, while Democrats are concerned that students with disabilities and Black Students are the ones being suspended the most.

What is the solution? Disruptive student behavior is on the rise. Should schools dismiss any and all accountability? Any punishment is still not going to be acceptable to Democrats if the statistics continue to show the majority of disruptions being committed by any group besides Whites.

I’d be concerned if statistics showed number of disruptive incidents committed by Whites being dismissed compared to the number of disruptive incidents committed by non-whites had a higher rate of punishment. Let’s see those statistics.
Get a second job so that you can afford to take your child out of the failed public schools and put them in a private school.

Or, do like Florida and get your legislature and Governor to establish a school voucher program.

OK
And how are you going to enforce your accountability on a 6'2" 230 kid who's never been disciplined at home?
Can't physically punish him.
Can't take his phone or computer.

absent such training at home how is it enforced in the school.

Actually, this is an issue that's been developing for 60+ years.
It started when parents began using the schools as a "free" babysitter.
The "babysitter" paradigm is what needs to end.
So right off the bat, a 6’2 230 lb kid is being given power that they can be physical but the teacher or administrator cannot; not even for protection or self defense. That is a problem and contributing factor as to why teachers are leaving.

Regardless of physical stature, the students and their parents need to be told there are consequences for disruptive behavior; physical or otherwise. Non physical consequences can include Saturday detention; mandatory school community service hours.

So right off the bat, a 6’2 230 lb kid is being given power that they can be physical but the teacher or administrator cannot; not even for protection or self defense. That is a problem and contributing factor as to why teachers are leaving.

Regardless of physical stature, the students and their parents need to be told there are consequences for disruptive behavior; physical or otherwise. Non physical consequences can include Saturday detention; mandatory school community service hours.
OK.
Kids says "Eff Off!"
Tosses your detention papers as you and walks out playing music on his phone at 90 decibels.

Any solution has to start early and must start with parents.
Monetary fines for the kids misbehavior
Arrest and incarceration for failing to manage the kid...

Force involvement and you will force change.

So how do we handle this 6'2" 15 year old who refuses to be civil?
Permanent expulsion.
The greater number of students will benefit from his forced absence

OK.
Kids says "Eff Off!"
Tosses your detention papers as you and walks out playing music on his phone at 90 decibels.

Any solution has to start early and must start with parents.
Monetary fines for the kids misbehavior
Arrest and incarceration for failing to manage the kid...

Force involvement and you will force change.

So how do we handle this 6'2" 15 year old who refuses to be civil?
Permanent expulsion.
The greater number of students will benefit from his forced absence
I agree with forced involvement. Parents need to be told their accountability and role as much as their rights. School Resource officers also help. If that same kid disrupts in a public building and is physically defiant, he is subject to physical removal. Why should physical removal be different in schools? Should a student get smacked in the head or paddled for talking in class or missing a homework assignment? Absolutely not. But, schools are a resource for the community and everyone, regardless of race, creed, color, or economic status needs to be held accountable and expected to respect its rules and decorum.

Big kids are still kids.

I agree with forced involvement. Parents need to be told their accountability and role as much as their rights. School Resource officers also help. If that same kid disrupts in a public building and is physically defiant, he is subject to physical removal. Why should physical removal be different in schools? Should a student get smacked in the head or paddled for talking in class or missing a homework assignment? Absolutely not. But, schools are a resource for the community and everyone, regardless of race, creed, color, or economic status needs to be held accountable and expected to respect its rules and decorum.
Agreed
When a kid is disruptive they are, in my opinion, stealing the education of their classmates.
I believe removing the disruption is necessary.
But the enforcement of discipline with parents as partners needs to begin in pre-k.
I don't believe teachers should have to exert physical punishment on a student.
If it is necessary the parent should have to come to school to administer it. That way the punishment will continue at home.

Disruptive student behavior throughout Virginia is being addressed by the Legislature. Republicans want stricter punishments; largely, suspensions, while Democrats are concerned that students with disabilities and Black Students are the ones being suspended the most.

What is the solution? Disruptive student behavior is on the rise. Should schools dismiss any and all accountability? Any punishment is still not going to be acceptable to Democrats if the statistics continue to show the majority of disruptions being committed by any group besides Whites.

I’d be concerned if statistics showed number of disruptive incidents committed by Whites being dismissed compared to the number of disruptive incidents committed by non-whites had a higher rate of punishment. Let’s see those statistics.
Back in the 1950s and 1960s schools had discipline. Learning is much easier in a disciplined environment.

Some say a high school education from the 1950s or 1960s is the equivalent of a college education today. That may be an exaggeration but perhaps not by much.

Back in the 1950s and 1960s schools had discipline. Learning is much easier in a disciplined environment.

Some say a high school education from the 1950s or 1960s is the equivalent of a college education today. That may be an exaggeration but perhaps not by much.
The 50s and 60s, students respected teachers and the schools. Students would never dream of assaulting a teacher because a teacher told them to put away a magazine during class. Same students could bring guns to school.

Today, teachers need to fear for their life when they tell a student to put away their cell phones.

The 50s and 60s, students respected teachers and the schools. Students would never dream of assaulting a teacher because a teacher told them to put away a magazine during class. Same students could bring guns to school.

Today, teachers need to fear for their life when they tell a student to put away their cell phones.
Don't exaggerate.

Forum List

Back