Disney loses against Desantis, Florida will now take back control over Disney fiefdom.....

what's illegal about it?
from post 107

Florida almost certainly wants to make a deal with Walt Disney Co. to avoid prolonged litigation with one of the state’s most important employers. No “deal” can be made with Disney unless Florida satisfies the claims of everyone other than Disney who could stop it, which means either canceling the dissolution or replacing Reedy Creek with a substantially identical district.

That leaves only one major item for negotiation: how far Florida goes in taking over control of the district. And because Disney’s legal case becomes stronger the more control Florida tries to take, Disney likely will continue to have fundamental control over the district.

from post 107

Florida almost certainly wants to make a deal with Walt Disney Co. to avoid prolonged litigation with one of the state’s most important employers. No “deal” can be made with Disney unless Florida satisfies the claims of everyone other than Disney who could stop it, which means either canceling the dissolution or replacing Reedy Creek with a substantially identical district.

That leaves only one major item for negotiation: how far Florida goes in taking over control of the district. And because Disney’s legal case becomes stronger the more control Florida tries to take, Disney likely will continue to have fundamental control over the district.
I don't disagree that the State should work out some sort of agreement with Disney.

But nothing this post highlights why you think the law is illegal

Then they better jack up the price of the tickets to get the money they owe to pay off the bonds.

DeSantis said the people of Florida ain't going to pay jackshit.

The best possible scenario is for Disney to go bankrupt and have to sell off their assess and close the damn place down but that is not going to happen.
That's more than enough.

You're a moron.

They already do.
Cool, and now they'll have to pay their fair share, instead of all the tax breaks they'd been getting. More revenue for the people of FL...

I thought you all wanted taxpayers to pay their fair share?

Cool, and now they'll have to pay their fair share, instead of all the tax breaks they'd been getting. More revenue for the people of FL...

I thought you all wanted taxpayers to pay their fair share?
It was fair BEFORE DeSantis went "Full Cretin"..

No, I wasn't....please provide it
Yes, you were.
It was too long for you to read....again.

First, the district will have to remain essentially identical to eliminate the claims from the bondholders and federal government. As I mentioned in my previous article, Reedy Creek’s outstanding debt prevents it from simply being dissolved due to constitutional protections against a government passing laws impairing its own contracts. Its enabling act makes an explicit promise to bondholders that the state wouldn’t alter or interfere with the district’s powers to carry out and maintain its projects or to collect its fees and taxes.

What tax breaks?
Geez, man...they are elimiating the Special Tax District....https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/21/business/disney-florida-special-tax-status.html

The Reedy Creek Improvement District, enacted in 1967 to entice Disney to build a theme park 20 miles south of Orlando, saves the company millions of dollars annually in fees and taxes, experts estimate.

I don't disagree that the State should work out some sort of agreement with Disney.

But nothing this post highlights why you think the law is illegal
Read post 107, I am not going to repost the details

If they had a Special Tax District, it was special, and thus not paying their fair share....they saved millions

They also saved the state millions in infrastructure , fire protection and other public services

That is why the state agreed to it

Forum List

Back