Discrimination is a fundamental human right.

And we don't give up our rights simply because we're engaging in 'commerce'.

There is a huge difference between blacks not being allowed to sit with whites and a Christian couple refusing to make a wedding cake for a gay couple - no comparison.

Again. Nice and slow this time. It has nothing to do with the product being supplied. It is about discriminating. You can refuse to make products. What you cannot do is say "I won't sell my product to gay people."

They are saying "It's against my beliefs to condone gay marriage, and, by supplying and making a cake for it, I am in effect, participating in a gay marriage which is against my religious beliefs" - I'm sure they would have no problem make a cake for a gay couple if they were having a birthday.

Also, I've read a little more background of the "Sweet Cakes" case. Apparently the female co owner (the wife, Melissa I believe was her name), had actually been talking with one half of the lesbian for months about her upcoming wedding plans. Melissa was more than willing to make them a cake and they were actually acquaintances. It wasn't until the women came in and had to deal with the husband when problems began. HE apparently told them "nope, I won't bake a cake for lesbian/gay weddings." I guess Melissa went along with what her husband wanted instead of sticking to her original agreement. So yeah, this was NOT some kind of nefarious setup or "gotcha" game.

If the bakery had agreed to make the cake, and then reneged, the couple would have had a fairly straightforward case. I don't really know whether this was contrived to make a political point, or not, but in either case I don't see any point on whining about the state enforcing the law, or people taking advantage of it. If a law leads to injustice or loss of rights, the sooner we find out - and do something about it - the better.

It's wrong to force people to go against their religious beliefs, especially when there are other options and it's not harmful or detrimental to anyone.

I'm so sick of the cry babies and people USING their "minority" status to abuse the system.
Sickening...

It's wrong to force people to go against their own petty preferences as well. But you lose me with the last bit. Unless they're deliberately twisting a law against its intended purpose, I can't fault people for using the rules to their advantage. That's what everyone does. If doing that produces bad results, then the fault is with the law, not with the people who follow it.

There is a huge difference between blacks not being allowed to sit with whites and a Christian couple refusing to make a wedding cake for a gay couple - no comparison.

Again. Nice and slow this time. It has nothing to do with the product being supplied. It is about discriminating. You can refuse to make products. What you cannot do is say "I won't sell my product to gay people."

They are saying "It's against my beliefs to condone gay marriage, and, by supplying and making a cake for it, I am in effect, participating in a gay marriage which is against my religious beliefs" - I'm sure they would have no problem make a cake for a gay couple if they were having a birthday.

Then don't open a business serving the public.

Agreed. Jim Crow laws are wrong and it's imperative that government treat everyone equal. But how we treat each other is entirely a matter of personal preference, and government should stay out of it.

Not when it comes to business matters, it isn't. Like I told you, you are still free to be an arse in your personal life. :)

Agreed. Jim Crow laws are wrong and it's imperative that government treat everyone equal. But how we treat each other is entirely a matter of personal preference, and government should stay out of it.

Not when it comes to business matters, it isn't. Like I told you, you are still free to be an arse in your personal life. :)

I don't think you are being an "arse" because of your religious beliefs. That's pretty narrow minded and intolerant. Saying someone's religious beliefs don't matter or are 'stupid' is just as intolerant (if not more so) than what you are defending....and, btw, I'm not saying anything about legalities, the law is the law, but doesn't make it right....

I don't think you are being an "arse" because of your religious beliefs. That's pretty narrow minded and intolerant. Saying someone's religious beliefs don't matter or are 'stupid' is just as intolerant (if not more so) than what you are defending....and, btw, I'm not saying anything about legalities, the law is the law, but doesn't make it right....
Except when you are criticizing Catholics, amirite?

Or do and deal with the consequences. Again, I'm not arguing law, I'm arguing what is right and fair.
Christian's have been persecuted from day 1, I don't expect it will end now............

I don't believe Catholics teach good Christian doctrine in many instances.
You should not call anyone "Father" but God, for example.

I don't believe we should relinquish our rights simply because money is involved. Every social interaction we have involves trading value, in one form or another.

Thanks for proving my point. :thup:

So a cake tasting was set up, knowing the couple in question was gay, and then they were told to piss off because they were gay.

These bakers are twits.

Thanks for proving my point. :thup:

I don't think Catholics are asshats or stupid, I just think they are wrong.
You DO know that you can think someone is WRONG and be tolerant at the same time, right?

\

That would be fine if the business owner could decide whether they are serving the public - or merely those they choose to serve - if preserving their rights were simply a matter of posting a sign stating such intent. The problem is, these laws don't allow that.

Or do and deal with the consequences. Again, I'm not arguing law, I'm arguing what is right and fair.
Christian's have been persecuted from day 1, I don't expect it will end now............

Oh, good grief. I know, you poor thing. You can't discriminate against people. How sad. :(

So a cake tasting was set up, knowing the couple in question was gay, and then they were told to piss off because they were gay.

These bakers are twits.

Should it be illegal to be a twit?

These bakers are twits.

Is that right? They set up a cake tasting for a wedding cake, then, said no?
Maybe they had a "crisis of conscience".... or prayed about it .... they were just standing behind their beliefs, just because you don't agree doesn't make them twits (btw, I don't call Catholic's twits.... )

Oh, good grief. I know, you poor thing. You can't discriminate against people. How sad. :(

.. but it's OK to discriminate and be intolerant of Christian's... I see....

These bakers are twits.

Should it be illegal to be a twit?

He is right. Your argument is nothing but a silly strawman. Are you trying to convince people that the law only applies to Christian bakeries? Good lord, some of you people are just so stupid it amazes me.

images

I'm not attempting to convince people of anything. I'm only stating my stance on the issue as an independent. While you on the other hand appear only capable of attempting to berate and abuse me into accepting your point of view. Using that as a reference base I'll assume that my observations are correct and work at replacing any judges here in Iowa, since we elect them, that support your point of view.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

He is right. Your argument is nothing but a silly strawman. Are you trying to convince people that the law only applies to Christian bakeries? Good lord, some of you people are just so stupid it amazes me.

images

I'm not attempting to convince people of anything. I'm only stating my stance on the issue as an independent. While you on the other hand appear only capable of attempting to berate and abuse me into accepting your point of view. Using that as a reference base I'll assume that my observations are correct and work at replacing any judges here in Iowa, since we elect them, that support your point of view.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Eye In The Sky -APP awesome........

New Topics

Forum List

Back