Did you know Ritalin used to "treat" ADHD in kids is a schedule II narcotic?

A lot of kids are over medicated early. I think it makes them unstable later in teen and adult life, but that is just me. People do not discipline their kids as in the old days. They medicate them, instead.

I did some research on drugs being prescribed to kids with behavioral problems and found this interesting article on Ritalin. FYI And just so you know, Fentanyl is also a schedule II narcotic, same classification as Ritalin.

Our whole country is doped up on meds, even the kids. Complete dysfunction. I think the US consumes 75% of the world’s pharmaceuticals when we make up 5% of the world.

• Schedule I: Drugs with no current medical use with high potential for abuse and/or addiction.
  • Schedule II: Drugs with some medically acceptable uses, but with high potential for abuse and/or addiction. These drugs can be obtained through prescription.
  • Schedule III: Drugs with low to moderate potential for abuse and/or addiction, but less dangerous than Schedule I or II. These drugs can be obtained through prescription, but generally are not available over the counter.
  • Schedule IV: Drugs with viable medical use and low probability of use or misuse.
  • Schedule V: Drugs with low potential for abuse (lower than Schedule IV).
Cannabis is also a schedule one drug. It is being legalized in a lot of areas.

A lot of kids are over medicated early. I think it makes them unstable later in teen and adult life, but that is just me. People do not discipline their kids as in the old days. They medicate them, instead.

That was the case decades ago. Not so much now. Parents are more cautious about meds now

That was the case decades ago. Not so much now. Parents are more cautious about meds now
Hope you are right. I saw it as a Cub Master, when my twins (now 33) were Cub Scout age. The difference was daylight and dark, depending on the meds many of those kids were on and if they had them on schedule. I have also seen it in adults, still using them.

I did some research on drugs being prescribed to kids with behavioral problems and found this interesting article on Ritalin. FYI And just so you know, Fentanyl is also a schedule II narcotic, same classification as Ritalin.

Same drug, different name. We do it all the time. Opium is bad, except when it's morphine, then it's great.

However Ritalin, regardless of whether it's getting kids high or not has always been used as a simple fix (from an adult perspective) for a difficult problem that many states are simply unwilling to deal with.

The US has lazy politicians with simple answers for a simple electorate who only care about money.

Hope you are right. I saw it as a Cub Master, when my twins (now 33) were Cub Scout age. The difference was daylight and dark, depending on the meds many of those kids were on and if they had them on schedule. I have also seen it in adults, still using them.

Yeah....your kids were raised when they were handing them out more or less like candy, or on the tail end of those years. I just looked it up. Nationally 6% of children is on ADHD meds, so 24 children in a elem school of 400. But this varies widely by area too. Some states it's upwards of 10% (!) and some, around 3%. I would say mine is closer to the lower number

Yeah....your kids were raised when they were handing them out more or less like candy, or on the tail end of those years. I just looked it up. Nationally 6% of children is on ADHD meds, so 24 children in a elem school of 400. But this varies widely by area too. Some states it's upwards of 10% (!) and some, around 3%. I would say mine is closer to the lower number
You are probably right. Back in the day, out of 129 cubs, there was far more than 6 or 10% and that was even here in Tennessee. At least two of the kids of the pack that were precribed them went on later to have serious drug problems and other issues. Sad.

Same drug, different name. We do it all the time. Opium is bad, except when it's morphine, then it's great.

However Ritalin, regardless of whether it's getting kids high or not has always been used as a simple fix (from an adult perspective) for a difficult problem that many states are simply unwilling to deal with.

The US has lazy politicians with simple answers for a simple electorate who only care about money.
Yes we have a drug culture that is always reaching for pills as a solution to just about everything. What are the long term effects of having kids on powerful narcotics for years? My sister-in-laws grandson is 18 and is on his third different drug to treat his severe depression. Only one counseling session that did not include his Father who is a big part of the problem.

Yes we have a drug culture that is always reaching for pills as a solution to just about everything. What are the long term effects of having kids on powerful narcotics for years? My sister-in-laws grandson is 18 and is on his third different drug to treat his severe depression. Only one counseling session that did not include his Father who is a big part of the problem.

The US political system doesn't seem concerned with long term effects.

Politicians are out to make their money, others want power. Elections are so close together and those who control politics know splashing the cash will get loads of politicians on their payroll.

• Schedule I: Drugs with no current medical use with high potential for abuse and/or addiction.
  • Schedule II: Drugs with some medically acceptable uses, but with high potential for abuse and/or addiction. These drugs can be obtained through prescription.
  • Schedule III: Drugs with low to moderate potential for abuse and/or addiction, but less dangerous than Schedule I or II. These drugs can be obtained through prescription, but generally are not available over the counter.
  • Schedule IV: Drugs with viable medical use and low probability of use or misuse.

Cannabis has well known medicinal value the government didn't care about it hence the blatant lie.

The US political system doesn't seem concerned with long term effects.

Politicians are out to make their money, others want power. Elections are so close together and those who control politics know splashing the cash will get loads of politicians on their payroll.
Sad, isn't it? There was a time when people like some of these on both sides at the national level would have been ridden out of town on a rail, even serving locally as a mayor.

Apropos of absolutely nothing, as usual.

Sad, isn't it? There was a time when people like some of these on both sides at the national level would have been ridden out of town on a rail, even serving locally as a mayor.

And now it's what you expect.

And the biggest problem is that everyone just accepts it. When given the choice of supporting a new system 99.9% of people just say "It's not what we have, too difficult, can't be bothered. Ice cream?"

New Topics

Forum List

Back