Did The Great Flood Really Happen?

Did the Great Flood really happen? - Living Faith - Home & Family - News - Catholic Online

Many Christians today argue the flood story is only a myth. It is a cautionary tale, not intended for literal interpretation. What's important, they say, is that we accept the lessons in the story rather than the story itself. There is merit to this approach. The story has no value if we ignore the lessons it teaches.
sure, yes, no, whatever....but it has nothing to do with god /etc because there is no god

Repeating the word "myth" doesnt make it so.

As I posted, Jesus, who was the God of the OT, verified the Flood's authenticity.

If I'm to choose between Jesus' own words and those of a 21st century "scholar", guess who I'm going to believe?
IIRC, JHWH is the Gawd of the OT and Jesus is the one for the New Testament, NT. However, reportedly the NT is written long after Jesus' death and may not be exactly verbatim ~ rather the recollections of his apostles.

"myth" is the term used by many secular scholars whom decline to take the earliest writings as verbatim from those earliest sources.

As my links show, "the flood" or deluge "myth" is one common to many earliest cultures around the global, and many of these accounts("myths") have common features, details, themes. Others might be referring to more localized events, or aspects of a global series of events.

The OT account in Genesis may have come from the earlier one's of the Sumerians~Babylonians.

BTW, I recall reading a while back that the cities of Sumer were supposedly built on sites of earlier cities buried in the results of the Flood/Deluge. Also an account of an early king of Sumer boasting about how well educated he was since he could read the writings of those from before the flood happened.

Did the Great Flood really happen? - Living Faith - Home & Family - News - Catholic Online

Many Christians today argue the flood story is only a myth. It is a cautionary tale, not intended for literal interpretation. What's important, they say, is that we accept the lessons in the story rather than the story itself. There is merit to this approach. The story has no value if we ignore the lessons it teaches.
I don't have any position on the theology of the Flood but, unless it was a supernatural event unlike any before or since, historically there was no global flood. There is no geological evidence for it and no natural forces that could cause such a global flood.

The burckle crater on the bottom of the indian ocean under 11,000 feet of water dated to the approximate time of gilgamesh is 25 times larger than meteor crater in arizona. The impact would have instantly vaporized billions of metric tons of water into the atmosphere causing a worldwide deluge that lasted for weeks, sweeping away every village,town or city built near rivers and streams and washes, worldwide, not to mention the immediate tsunamis that would have swept away all coastal civilizations.

According to scripture the next time the earth, including the atmosphere, will be destroyed is by fire, which would be the result of a similar impact on land or a larger one on the ocean again.

This, or some other similar impact events have been presented as probable cause.
If an impact event and the object detected while still "far out there", that would explain the advance notice and construction of an "ark" to survive. Warning and blueprints provide by the "gawds" ~ ???

This isnt speaking about the Great Flood of Noah's day, but it proves there is enough water locked up in the earth's mantle that the land masses can be submerged, AND WERE

Earth was a water world

Nope .. The Euphrates River Basin is quite flat (No mountains) and it does have a flood footprint 150 miles wide and 300 miles south to the Persian Gulf. It must have seem their whole world had flooded.

The language of the scripture uses the word eretz.. meaning land NOT earth. So when they write their was hunger in the land, they aren't saying there was famine worldwide. The language is consistent.

"For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be" -- Jesus
After the rains came and drowned the wicked, the righteous were left to inherit the earth. It's a new beginning, in other words. Noah means new beginning.

Jesus connected this to the final new beginning, or new creation, when he would come to judge apostate Judea.

He applied the flood story to his own people. Like everyone in his day, no one ever mentioned anything on the other side of the planet. Everything had local and regional implications.

I think the flood story is really just another covenant creation story.

Here's another interesting take ...
WHEN THE SKY FELL
IN SEARCH OF ATLANTIS

by Rand Flem-Ath & Rose Flem-Ath ‧ RELEASE DATE: Dec. 1, 1995
Overly audacious ruminations about the lost civilization of Atlantis from two Canadian librarians, based on disparate facts and near-facts derived from mythology, literature, geology, and cartography. Pointing to the striking similarity of myths of a disastrous flood among widely dispersed peoples (Indian tribes of the Americas and peoples of the Middle East, for instance), evidence of transcontinental mass extinctions approximately 11,000 years ago, profound changes in world climate since prehistoric times, and the pervasiveness of the myth of a lost civilization of Atlantis in Plato and in Egyptian lore, the Flem-Aths draw the conclusion that an advanced maritime civilization, based in Antarctica, predated the last Ice Age. The Flem-Aths rely heavily on the theories of the late Charles Hapgood, a historian of science whose ideas once won Albert Einstein's praise. In several books, Hapgood made two arguments critical to the authors' thesis: that at some point in the distant past the Earth's crust was abruptly torn asunder (rather than gradually shifting apart, as plate tectonic theory would have it) and that accurate, ancient maps existed, particularly the so-called Piri Re'is from 1513, that showed Antarctica centuries before it was discovered by European explorers. Weaving together Hapgood's crust displacement theory, the flood myths, and evidence of sophisticated ancient cartography, the authors speculate that the Antarctica-based Atlantean civilization was destroyed by geological catastrophe and attendant flooding. The shattered survivors cultivated agriculture in the mountaintops that alone survived the great floods (the authors point out that the grains that have been staples in the human diet originate in the highlands) and, as the floodwaters receded, founded cultures that in turn became the basis for civilization. Fun, yes, but it isn't science. The Flem-Aths go well beyond their evidence to locate Atlantis in Antarctica, and the basis of their speculations, including the ancient sea maps and Hapgood's theory of catastrophic crust displacement, must await a more sober and rigorous assessment. (23 maps and line drawings)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Link includes select images/maps and excerpt pages.

As I posted, Jesus, who was the God of the OT, verified the Flood's authenticity.

If I'm to choose between Jesus' own words and those of a 21st century "scholar", guess who I'm going to believe?
IIRC, JHWH is the Gawd of the OT and Jesus is the one for the New Testament, NT. However, reportedly the NT is written long after Jesus' death and may not be exactly verbatim ~ rather the recollections of his apostles.

"myth" is the term used by many secular scholars whom decline to take the earliest writings as verbatim from those earliest sources.

As my links show, "the flood" or deluge "myth" is one common to many earliest cultures around the global, and many of these accounts("myths") have common features, details, themes. Others might be referring to more localized events, or aspects of a global series of events.

The OT account in Genesis may have come from the earlier one's of the Sumerians~Babylonians.

BTW, I recall reading a while back that the cities of Sumer were supposedly built on sites of earlier cities buried in the results of the Flood/Deluge. Also an account of an early king of Sumer boasting about how well educated he was since he could read the writings of those from before the flood happened.

The kings list of Sumer does indicate a major flood of the Euphrates River Basin in 2900 BC... and a king who hauled beer, grain and livestock down river on barges that broke loose during the deluge nd ended up in the Persian Gulf.

"For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be" -- Jesus
After the rains came and drowned the wicked, the righteous were left to inherit the earth. It's a new beginning, in other words. Noah means new beginning.

Jesus connected this to the final new beginning, or new creation, when he would come to judge apostate Judea.

He applied the flood story to his own people. Like everyone in his day, no one ever mentioned anything on the other side of the planet. Everything had local and regional implications.

Why would Noah spend 120 years building an ark if the flood wasn't worldwide and killed every last human being? Besides, Jesus said it was real. Believe your own excuses or believe the eye witness

The kings list of Sumer does indicate a major flood of the Euphrates River Basin in 2900 BC... and a king who hauled beer, grain and livestock down river on barges that broke loose during the deluge nd ended up in the Persian Gulf.
As I recall, those earlier city sites were from several thousand years prior to that.
One option presented has been the flooding was result of a huge tsunami event coming from the south, possible result of an impact event, or large mass of ice breaking off from Antarctica.

Why would Noah spend 120 years building an ark if the flood wasn't worldwide and killed every last human being? Besides, Jesus said it was real. Believe your own excuses or believe the eye witness

The Bible stories exaggerate everything.. That's the nature of story telling.

JHWH is the Gawd of the OT and Jesus is the one for the New Testament, NT.
Who is "Gawd"? No, Jesus said He came to REVEAL THE FATHER. Meaning no on knew about His Father.
Jesus is described as the One who created ALL THINGS. The One we call "Jesus" is the One who created the heavens and the earth.

Jesus is the One "who was grieved in His heart that he had made Man." Jesus is the One who sent the rain, and OPENED THE EARTH to flood the land and kill ALL humanity except Noah and his family.

As I recall, those earlier city sites were from several thousand years prior to that.
One option presented has been the flooding was result of a huge tsunami event coming from the south, possible result of an impact event, or large mass of ice breaking off from Antarctica.

What tsunami event was that? There are NO tsunamis in the Persian Gulf or the Red Sea.

I don't expect more from a non-believer. Yes, you're a non-believer if you reject the clear words of your Savior

- and you know the above quote is not a 4th century forgery, or the original, written by the 1st century individual you claim made that statement is at your disposal ...

howabout the event did occur, not as your fairytale but in fact as a 2nd chance for humanity as the religion of antiquity and indeed - so shall also the coming - "judgement" - will occur with the fruition of the parable, the triumph of good vs evil, made long before christianity or the other desert religions abandoned its true meaning.

Why would Noah spend 120 years building an ark

Obviously they were using a lunar calendar which would mean that Noah spent 10 years building the ark and that Methuselah was 81 years old, almost twice as old as the average life span back then. A miracle!

Use your brain. If these stories are true then they have to conform to this reality. For instance Jesus popping in and out of locked rooms or him floating up into the sky after his death had to be the eyewitness accounts of what was seen and heard in dreams, the only place where such things could possibly happen.

Last edited:
Ancient civilizations in that area describe a great flood event. Why? Cuz they all incidentally decided to make up the same story at the same time, or there was actually a great flood

It's a good story... why wouldn't two different peoples think of it? Has that never happened before?

Armageddon-Deep-Impact.jpg

I don't expect more from a non-believer. Yes, you're a non-believer if you reject the clear words of your Savior

There are NO tsunamis in the Persian Gulf or the Red Sea.

The Hebrews learned these stories during the Babylonian exile and adapted them.. They are extraordinary morality tales.. but they aren't history.. If I said to you "Remember the boy who cried wolf"... you would know exactly what lesson I was speaking of, yet Aesop's Fables are not history. They were written by a Greek slave about the same time as the OT stories.. Such is the function of myth and morality tales in any culture.

izations in that area describe a great flood event. Why? Cuz they all incidentally decided to make up the same story at the same time, or there was actually a great flood
Well that's a very "interesting" idea, since all of them would have been killed in the flood. You clearly did not think this through. Everyone who tells a tale of a great flood got it originally from the 8 people on the Ark. Else the myth is false.

You should really think your talking points through a little more before trying them out.

Forum List

Back