Did anyone else grow up in a dysfunctional and/or abusive household?

evenifigoalone

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2021
This probably really isn't the site for this, but..... whatever.

In my teen years my seemingly healthy family (as far as I knew at least) slowly turned into a living hell, and I became the scapegoat. I got blamed for so many of our problems, and while I was never physically struck or beaten, the damage was still done.
It took me so so long to even sort out what had happened, whether or not it counted as dysfunctional, whether it counted as emotional abuse. I've worked out some stuff in therapy.

Honestly, I thought I was over it. I actually still think I am, mostly..... but last year some stuff happened that effed up my mental health and is still affecting me a year later. And I'm kinda thinking the reason that is, is connected to my history of having been emotionally abused. Idk. I'll bring it up w/ my actual therapist in a couple weeks.

In my teen years my seemingly healthy family (as far as I knew at least) slowly turned into a living hell, and I became the scapegoat. I got blamed for so many of our problems, and while I was never physically struck or beaten, the damage was still done.
It took me so so long to even sort out what had happened, whether or not it counted as dysfunctional, whether it counted as emotional abuse. I've worked out some stuff in therapy.

Honestly, I thought I was over it. I actually still think I am, mostly..... but last year some stuff happened that effed up my mental health and is still affecting me a year later. And I'm kinda thinking the reason that is, is connected to my history of having been emotionally abused. Idk. I'll bring it up w/ my actual therapist in a couple weeks.

I grew up in a dysfunctional household my dad was never around and was always out womanizing

There was no affection shown

Functional households are over-rated.

Functional households are over-rated.

. . but, they are still a world better then state run, or dysfunctional ones.

:heehee:

Oh LORD yes. My parents were completely dysfunctional as human beings much less parents. My mother had, among other things, Munchausen's By Proxy. That put a serious hit on my well being. We were homeless for much of the time, for no other reason than they enjoyed it. One thing after another. I was out of the house by 15.

Dad and Mom were physically and mentally abusive to me but my sister got a free ride. I joined the service and went to Vietnam to get away from them.

I have never met a healthy functional family. No matter the social level or ethnic group. I come from a large low income rural extended family. You name the problem we had it. Dealt with it the best I could .

I have never met a healthy functional family.
There's certainly no such thing as the perfect family simply because there are no perfect people. With that said, some people have grown up in some very BAD households. Some of them grow up to be very productive, solid, people and make great parents.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, or at least it should. You don't like something you work to change it and endeavor never pass it on to loved ones.

"Sometimes you just have to say fck it and drive on".

I have never met a healthy functional family.
There's certainly no such thing as the perfect family simply because there are no perfect people. With that said, some people have grown up in some very BAD households. Some of them grow up to be very productive, solid, people and make great parents.
Only in a perfect world, where is that perfect world?

Yes. Dad was normal but he was always at work.
Ma was insane and should have never had children. She had two. Myself and my sister. We are both fucked up due to that batshit crazy bitch.

Yes. Dad was normal but he was always at work.
Ma was insane and should have never had children. She had two. Myself and my sister. We are both fucked up due to that batshit crazy bitch.
Girls have it easy due to their reproductive organs.

Forum List

Back