Zone1 Despite criticism last year, should PBS again feature the Black National Anthem at its nationwide July 4th concert tonight?

Lisa558

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2021
Last year’s Capitol Fourth concert, sponsored by the liberal PBS, gave a disproportionate amount of attention to blacks, given their 14% share of the population, by having half or more black performers, playing the Black National Anthem, and selecting a black female as the host.

This year, in keeping with the liberal favoritism being shown black women, reports are that PBS has again selected as its host another black female this year. (I hope I read wrong.) Since the concert has turned into an exercise is wokeness, let’s discuss whether the following is a good idea.

1. Given that black females constitute 6% of the population, should PBS limit itself to this tiny minority yet again….or would it be fair to let a white man or woman, or a black man, be the host this time?

2. Should the playing of an anthem labeled for just 14% of Americans be played again, especially in light of how divisive many people see it, and we instead stick to one universal anthem for all people, white and black, as a show of unity on this American holiday?

Last edited:
It's not a black national anthem. If it is, then the regular national anthem is just the white national anthem, because whites were freed from tyranny, but not blacks. It was only the beginning of theirs. Reading the lyrics, it sounds a lot lot more .inclusive than the white national anthem, and should definitely replace it.

It's not a black national anthem. If it is, then the regular national anthem is just the white national anthem, because whites were freed from tyranny, but not blacks. It was only the beginning of theirs. Reading the lyrics, it sounds a lot lot more .inclusive than the white national anthem, and should definitely replace it.
That’s not true. We never called the SSB “the White National Anthem.” The song that Venessa Williams sang last year is known as the “Black National Anthem.”

What about the other question? Don’t you think since they had a black female as host last year, they should pick from among the other 94% of Americans this year, rather then limit themselves to a pool of the same 6%?

The flag, as some understand it, represents the land promised to Israel, through the descendants of Joseph/Manasseh, the "thirteenth" tribe of Israel. So it is sort of exclusive.

Last year’s Capitol Forth concert, sponsored by the liberal PBS, gave a disproportionate amount of attention to blacks, given their 14% share of the population, by having half or more black performers, playing the Black National Anthem, and selecting a black female as the host.

This year, in keeping with the liberal favoritism being shown black women, reports are that PBS has again selected as its host another black female this year. (I hope I read wrong.) Since the concert has turned into an exercise is wokeness, let’s discuss whether the following is a good idea.

1. Given that black females constitute 6% of the population, should PBS limit itself to this tiny minority yet again….or would it be fair to let a white man or woman, or a black man, be the host this time?

2. Should the playing of an anthem labeled for just 14% of Americans be played again, especially in light of how divisive many people see it, and we instead stick to one universal anthem for all people, white and black, as a show of unity on this American holiday?

I don’t understand why everything has to be about being strictly proportionate to racial demographics and if it isn’t, it provokes such drama. Just enjoy the show…or don’t and tune in to something you feel more comfortable with.

I don’t tend to watch it anyway, because it is so far removed from the events on the mall that I remember growing up. It has become a huge crowded commercial event.

I don’t understand why everything has to be about being strictly proportionate to racial demographics and if it isn’t, it provokes such drama. Just enjoy the show…or don’t and tune in to something you feel more comfortable with.

I don’t tend to watch it anyway, because it is so far removed from the events on the mall that I remember growing up. It has become a huge crowded commercial event.
They loved it when fictional media was 100% white, now complain about one black person. There's no rime or reason to it, just racism.

It doesn’t have to be strictly proportional - in that if 50 people are in the show, then 7 should be black. But when the host is black and at least half the performers are black, it’s wokeness gone to a ridiculous extreme. Blacks should not be getting the majority of attention on a national holiday for ALL people. They are a minority and there are lots more non-blacks around.

They loved it when fictional media was 100% white, now complain about one black person. There's no rime or reason to it, just racism.
You know the complaint isn’t about one black person. It’s about the ridiculous overrepresentation. If a Martian dropped in from outer space, he‘d think this was a majority Black country.

An as an aside, why the f is black capitalized and white lower-cased?

Last year’s Capitol Forth concert, sponsored by the liberal PBS, gave a disproportionate amount of attention to blacks, given their 14% share of the population, by having half or more black performers, playing the Black National Anthem, and selecting a black female as the host.

I really don't care. Never been a fan of PBS's 4th of July thing. Don't like all the big band style arrangements

Along with all those black people in commercials and in ads at malls, billboards, etc., you must be losing your mind!

(Actually, after hearing the Black Nat'l Anthem, it reminds me of a vocal piobaireachd)

Lyrics to Lift Every Voice and Sing

Lift every voice and sing
Till earth and heaven ring
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty
Let our rejoicing rise
High as the listening skies
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun
Let us march on till victory is won
Stony the road we trod
Bitter the chastening rod
Felt in the days when hope unborn had died
Yet with a steady beat
Have not our weary feet
Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?
We have come over a way that with tears has been watered
We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered
Out from the gloomy past
Till now we stand at last
Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast
God of our weary years
God of our silent tears
Thou who has brought us thus far on the way
Thou who has by Thy might Led us into the light
Keep us forever in the path, we pray
Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee
Lest, our hearts drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee
Shadowed beneath Thy hand
May we forever stand
True to our God
True to our native land
Our native land

That is a pretty powerful and all inclusive song of freedom. Seems like a good choice to sing in a 4th of July concert series…why pick out of the line up (of many songs) for special condemnation.

That’s not true. We never called the SSB “the White National Anthem.” The song that Venessa Williams sang last year is known as the “Black National Anthem.”

What about the other question? Don’t you think since they had a black female as host last year, they should pick from among the other 94% of Americans this year, rather then limit themselves to a pool of the same 6%?
Full Star Spangled Banner lyrics:

Star Spangled Banner
O! say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming:
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming,
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;

O! say, does that Star-spangled Banner still* wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam --
In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream;

'Tis the Star-spangled Banner, O! long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave.
>From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave!

And the Star-spangled Banner in triumph doth wave

O! thus be it ever when free men shall stand
Between their loved homes and the foe's desolation;
Bless'd with victory and peace, may our Heaven-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation
Then conquer we must, for our cause it is just --
And this be our motto -- "In God is our trust!"

And the Star-spangled Banner in triumph shall wave

It doesn’t have to be strictly proportional - in that if 50 people are in the show, then 7 should be black. But when the host is black and at least half the performers are black, it’s wokeness gone to a ridiculous extreme. Blacks should not be getting the majority of attention on a national holiday for ALL people. They are a minority and there are lots more non-blacks around.
Is it extreme wokeness? I mean for years you had no black representation at these events, and DC IS a majority black district after all. If it is an event for ALL people than the racial breakdown should be far less important than the planned events themselves.

Lyrics to Lift Every Voice and Sing

Lift every voice and sing
Till earth and heaven ring
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty
Let our rejoicing rise
High as the listening skies
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun
Let us march on till victory is won
Stony the road we trod
Bitter the chastening rod
Felt in the days when hope unborn had died
Yet with a steady beat
Have not our weary feet
Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?
We have come over a way that with tears has been watered
We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered
Out from the gloomy past
Till now we stand at last
Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast
God of our weary years
God of our silent tears
Thou who has brought us thus far on the way
Thou who has by Thy might Led us into the light
Keep us forever in the path, we pray
Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee
Lest, our hearts drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee
Shadowed beneath Thy hand
May we forever stand
True to our God
True to our native land
Our native land

That is a pretty powerful and all inclusive song of freedom. Seems like a good choice to sing in a 4th of July concert series…why pick out of the line up (of many songs) for special condemnation.
Because it’s been unofficially recognized as the Black National Anthem. It’s divisive to give so much attention and recognition to just 14% of the population.

Is it extreme wokeness? I mean for years you had no black representation at these events, and DC IS a majority black district after all. If it is an event for ALL people than the racial breakdown should be far less important than the planned events themselves.
It doesn’t matter that DC is mostly black. The performers are coming from all over the country, and the concert is broadcast for people who live all over the country.

And yes, focusing the majority of attention on the same small minority is an issue.

Forum List

Back