Denver...

we have pulled the trigger.....have flights and car rental and train tickets.....i would rather do grand junction than colorado springs but mostly like will go back that way to catch another damn train...i want to go to mesa verde there is just too much to do...how is the million dollar highway?

The million dollar highway is between Ouray and Silverton. The gravel used to build it was taken from the tailings of the gold mines, which is why it's called that. And the ride is absolutely wonderful. Lots to see in the form of mountains, forest, wildlife and the occasional abandoned gold mill on the sides of the mountains. Good choice for a day ride.

thanks so much for the info and the heads up...son said you need to tip the bud tenders? i am looking at dabs not sure about that...i want to find durbin poison and a few other strains...do they sell seeds?

i have done too many edibles before...got in public and could not function....kept saying let me sit down a minute and i will be good...but could not walk 5 ft ...hubby poured me in the car so i am careful with them

i dont plan to leave the state with any smoke....i will do edibles for the plane trip there and home

thanks so much for the info and the heads up...son said you need to tip the bud tenders? i am looking at dabs not sure about that...i want to find durbin poison and a few other strains...do they sell seeds?

i have done too many edibles before...got in public and could not function....kept saying let me sit down a minute and i will be good...but could not walk 5 ft ...hubby poured me in the car so i am careful with them

i dont plan to leave the state with any smoke....i will do edibles for the plane trip there and home

hubby said it was due to the million dollar views....lol

Bud tenders are just like any other service sector job. I think it's allowed to tip them, but I've heard that in some stores it's not, check when you get there. BUT, if they do a good job and answer all your questions, as well as make you feel good about what you purchased, giving them a sawbuck (5.00) for their help would be a good thing. As far as dabs? You're gonna have to buy a pipe to be able to properly smoke them as they are MUCH different than flower, as it's basically just a super concentrated form of THC that looks like tan wax or tar. However, dabs can be mixed with flower (just make sure the dabs are in the middle or towards the top of the bowl), but it's not the same as smoking them through a dab pipe. Durbin poison is a popular strain, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding it, but I think it's in the upper level of price. As far as seeds? Dunno. You might be able to find them in a shop, but your best bet is to ask a bud tender where you can buy some. And remember, growing marijuana IS NOT the same as growing other things. The plants require a lot of attention, so I'd advise getting a book on basic growing if you go that route.

And yeah, the million dollar highway was named because of the stuff used to build it, but the views along the whole thing are breathtaking. I know that I had to stop several times along it just to look and take it all in.

So far our biggest issue..what we don't have time to do..hot springs is a pass..thinking Manitoba springs...and pikes peak...garden of the gods and that wind cave

So far our biggest issue..what we don't have time to do..hot springs is a pass..thinking Manitoba springs...and pikes peak...garden of the gods and that wind cave
You could spend a month traveling around Colorado and only scratch the surface of what to see. Also N Carolina is less than half the size of Colorado so be aware your travel distances and times will pretty much double. Mesa Verde is just over an hour west of Durango but visiting the site is at minimum a half a day trip. Four Corners is a little further down to the southwest and you could literally stand in four states at the same time, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and Arizona.........

You could spend a month traveling around Colorado and only scratch the surface of what to see. Also N Carolina is less than half the size of Colorado so be aware your travel distances and times will pretty much double. Mesa Verde is just over an hour west of Durango but visiting the site is at minimum a half a day trip. Four Corners is a little further down to the southwest and you could literally stand in four states at the same time, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and Arizona.........

Not only is the state bigger, but the roads going through the mountains take a lot of time as you can't blast down them at 70mph, because if you do, chances are very good you will not make it to your destination, as you will go off the road (and possibly over a cliff). I know from experience that while the distance from Ouray to Durango isn't that far, the road between them on the Million Dollar Highway is full of twists, turns, "s" curves and switchbacks, some of which require you to go no faster than 25 mph.

Four Corners is a pretty cool experience. Yeah, I've stood in 4 different states all at the same time. Kinda neat to be able to say that. Coming out of 4 Corners, in the desert part heading to Durango is when I first saw "phantom rain". It was raining, could see it falling out of the sky, but none of it hit the ground, because it evaporated about 100 to 150 ft. in the air above the ground. Freaky stuff! However................when I started to climb up the mountain going towards Durango, when I got about halfway up, that's when the rain was managing to hit the ground, and it was kinda miserable on my motorcycle for a bit.

Not only is the state bigger, but the roads going through the mountains take a lot of time as you can't blast down them at 70mph, because if you do, chances are very good you will not make it to your destination, as you will go off the road (and possibly over a cliff). I know from experience that while the distance from Ouray to Durango isn't that far, the road between them on the Million Dollar Highway is full of twists, turns, "s" curves and switchbacks, some of which require you to go no faster than 25 mph.

Four Corners is a pretty cool experience. Yeah, I've stood in 4 different states all at the same time. Kinda neat to be able to say that. Coming out of 4 Corners, in the desert part heading to Durango is when I first saw "phantom rain". It was raining, could see it falling out of the sky, but none of it hit the ground, because it evaporated about 100 to 150 ft. in the air above the ground. Freaky stuff! However................when I started to climb up the mountain going towards Durango, when I got about halfway up, that's when the rain was managing to hit the ground, and it was kinda miserable on my motorcycle for a bit.
After having lived in Colorado off and on for a total of 8 years I'm quite familiar with it, still consider Colorado Springs home as well as here in Albuquerque. I actually volunteered at Garden of the Gods for a while. I've driven in 65 degree weather in the valleys only to drive through a blizzard in the mountain passes. Camped in the mountains in the spring where by mid morning we would get a foot of snow then watch most of it melt by mid afternoon, pretty cool.
The phantom rain is meteorlogically called Verga, it's quite common here in New Mexico. I can imagine riding in that in the mountains, it wouldn't be pleasant without the proper gear.

yall do know i live in western nc....we have the curves but not that height .....i do appreciate the pro tips however...esp on weather...

verga that is going to be interesting....

yall do know i live in western nc....we have the curves but not that height .....i do appreciate the pro tips however...esp on weather...

verga that is going to be interesting....

Okay....................Because I've been on some of the roads there, I can give you really good reference. Know the roads through the mountains between Hendersonville and Spartanburg? Multiply those roads by about 3, and you have a pretty decent idea what the roads can be like in CO. If you are going to drive the Million Dollar Highway, multiply them by about 5, but with very few guardrails and only 2 lanes. The roads around Chimney Rock and Lake Lure are pretty close, but the Million Dollar Highway is even more (interesting? fun? scary? treacherous?) than that.

Last edited:
We did Garden of The Gods yesterday. It was just spectacular.

We're headed to Cave of The Winds and Bishop Castle today, and then taking the train to the top of Pike's Peak tomorrow...

Cave of the Winds is definitely worth the trip. And Bishop Castle is amazing, especially when you consider that it was ONE MAN who built the thing by HIMSELF. When you see it, you will be amazed at what one man with a whole bunch of determination and vision can do. Hopefully there aren't any clouds on top of Pikes Peak when you go there, because the view when it's clear is amazing.

one decision i made on yalls comments....normally when i rent a car i go with my insurance and ignore the insurance offered by the car rental...not this time..we got the car rental insurance supplement ..my insurance would cover car damage but it does not cover the loss of income that results in civil suits..

and you cant smoke any damn where....mesa verda is more than i expected...driving wise...i just dont think i can do the guided tour ...i am not good with heights of any kind...and it looks rather exposed..

then i got a ad...8 things to do between telluride and ouray...wtf? how can there be 8 things? we need another week my pet sitter would do another week...my empty pockets cant...colorado is tourist money and i am gonna be a tourist

one decision i made on yalls comments....normally when i rent a car i go with my insurance and ignore the insurance offered by the car rental...not this time..we got the car rental insurance supplement ..my insurance would cover car damage but it does not cover the loss of income that results in civil suits..

and you cant smoke any damn where....mesa verda is more than i expected...driving wise...i just dont think i can do the guided tour ...i am not good with heights of any kind...and it looks rather exposed..

then i got a ad...8 things to do between telluride and ouray...wtf? how can there be 8 things? we need another week my pet sitter would do another week...my empty pockets cant...colorado is tourist money and i am gonna be a tourist
I've found that as a tourist, it's worthwhile to be more selective than you might normally be. While any particular location might be interesting and worthwhile to see, it might not quite that good when considering how many things you have time to see. I know first hand how hard it is to drive past a sign that says LIVE TWO HEADED SNAKE!! , but is that really what you want to remember most about your trip?

I am totally over it....i have made all the reservations but one...he did make the train one....my black card is a burning...
(my black card is my sams club card lol) so this morning i am doing a budget review....as in what the hell is paid for and what is not...when i notice two charges made on the same day for the same amount...so i call synchrony bank...they cancel my card...wtf? i explain that i have charges that are pending and legit...they will 'push' thru...and they are sending another card out ..i am over it...

Cave of the Winds is definitely worth the trip. And Bishop Castle is amazing, especially when you consider that it was ONE MAN who built the thing by HIMSELF. When you see it, you will be amazed at what one man with a whole bunch of determination and vision can do. Hopefully there aren't any clouds on top of Pikes Peak when you go there, because the view when it's clear is amazing.

I guess Cave of The Winds was okay. Honestly, the way people had been talking it up to me, I guess I expected more.

Bishop Castle was very cool.
bc01.jpg

Jim Bishop was there, but he's no longer building the castle. He has Parkinson's now, and uses oxygen. He just physically can't do it anymore.

It's kind of a shame. Apparently, his kids have said they want nothing to do with the castle after Jim's gone, and speculation is that the city of Manitou Springs might buy it. That's kind of surprising to me, considering that Bishop Castle isn't exactly close to Manitou Springs but, then again, Bishop Castle isn't exactly close to anything.

We're taking the train to the top of Pike's Peak today. The sky is crystal clear so the vistas should be pretty amazing...

Forum List

Back