Denver...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
Seems I can't let go of that travelin' jones.

Two weeks ago I was at the Black Hills Motorcycle Rally up in Sturgis. Now (well, tomorrow) I'm flying to Denver so I can visit some old shipmates and photograph Garden of The Gods in Colorado Springs. If our schedule permits, we may make a side trip over to Moab. A visit to Pike's Peak is a definite, as well.

Garden of The Gods, Pike's Peak... anything else I should try to photograph while I'm there? I fly back on Tuesday...

Two weeks ago I was at the Black Hills Motorcycle Rally up in Sturgis. Now (well, tomorrow) I'm flying to Denver so I can visit some old shipmates and photograph Garden of The Gods in Colorado Springs. If our schedule permits, we may make a side trip over to Moab. A visit to Pike's Peak is a definite, as well.

Garden of The Gods, Pike's Peak... anything else I should try to photograph while I'm there? I fly back on Tuesday...
Yeah, an 16 inch rainbow trout from Georgetown Lake

Seems like that isn't too far from Monument alley.

Well, since you're gonna be close to the area anyway when you go to Garden of the Gods, I recommend a quick detour over to Manitou Springs. Not only is the canyon a nice place, but the town itself (at least last time I was there) was kinda touristy, but had some good places to eat, and you could get some nice photos around there. And, if time permits, just a few miles up from Manitou Springs is a place called Cave of the Winds, and that is DEFINITELY photo worthy.

Hey..............when you get back from your trip to Denver, post some pics here so we can all enjoy a bit of your trip. Pike's Peak is definitely worth it, but remember...............there is VERY LITTLE oxygen at 14,100 ft. Last time I was at the top, they had an oxygen bar in the visitor center. My buddy Danno was pissed when we got there because his Zippo lighter wouldn't light due to the air being so thin, and he had to wait until we got back down to the visitor's center at the bottom to have a cigarette.

Well, since you're gonna be close to the area anyway when you go to Garden of the Gods, I recommend a quick detour over to Manitou Springs. Not only is the canyon a nice place, but the town itself (at least last time I was there) was kinda touristy, but had some good places to eat, and you could get some nice photos around there. And, if time permits, just a few miles up from Manitou Springs is a place called Cave of the Winds, and that is DEFINITELY photo worthy.

I'll be staying in Colorado Springs. Both of those places are less than a 20 minute drive!

I'll be staying in Colorado Springs. Both of those places are less than a 20 minute drive!

Manitou Springs won't cost you anything to walk around (although, chances are you're gonna see something that you just gotta buy, happens to me every time I go there), and Cave of the Winds will cost you a couple of bucks to take the tour through the caves, but it's well worth the money IMHO. Not quite as cool as Carlsbad Caverns, but pretty close.

Dunno how much time you've got to spend, but if you have the time, a trip to Royal Gorge could very well be worth your time. It's got the highest suspension bridge in the United States that goes over a canyon that is around 1000 feet above the river at the bottom of the canyon. If you're feeling adventurous, they have a zip line that goes from one side of the canyon to the other, and I can tell you it's a trippy experience! Especially when you are riding the zip line, look down into the canyon and see EAGLES flying BELOW you! Last time I was there, it cost me about 60 bucks to get into the park, be able to walk across the bridge (that is an experience in itself), ride the skycoaster that swings you over the side of the canyon (basically a big swing that attaches you to a 100 ft cable and you're in a hang glider harness and you swing out over the canyon), and zip lining across the canyon. To do all of that takes a couple of hours, plus whatever travel time it takes you from Colorado Springs to the park, but if you have the time and the cash, again...........WELL worth the trip!

Last edited:
planning a trip in october...be warned colorado springs doesnt have a dispensary....we plan to fly into denver and then drive to durango ..peeps say denver sucks so i want to get the hell outta of it...headed to durango to do the trains

planning a trip in october...be warned colorado springs doesnt have a dispensary....we plan to fly into denver and then drive to durango ..peeps say denver sucks so i want to get the hell outta of it...headed to durango to do the trains

Actually, Colorado Springs has quite a few dispensaries. All ya gotta do is go to Google and search "colorado springs 420 shops", or "cannabis shops", trust me, they are there. I know that going up the interstate through there, I've seen several billboards, as well as actual signs advertising such.

If that's too much to do, I know for a FACT, that there are many 420 shops in Pueblo West and Pueblo, as well as quite a few in Denver.

BTW, if you take the train from Durango into Silverton (a nice trip btw), be sure to stop at the jerky shop in Silverton that has jerky made from many different animals. You can get deer, antelope, elk, bison, and even a couple of things you wouldn't normally see made into jerky. And, although Silverton is a tourist trap, the ride on the train is absolutely gorgeous, as well as the town itself is pretty neat.

Seems our biggest problem is narrowing what to do and see

That train is on the list

One thing I would advise is to be sure to show up early, as the available seating fills up rather quickly. DO NOT show up 30 min prior to departure expecting to get a seat, as you more than likely won't get one. If they have tickets you can buy online the night or a couple of days before, I'd recommend that as it would guarantee you get a seat. Lots of people like to go on that train, and my suggestion comes from experience. Stopped in Durango on my way to Sturgis, and thought I'd get on the train the following morning. Nope, didn't happen as it had filled up around 90 min prior to me getting there. So, decided to ride the highway into Silverton, and even though it wasn't the train, it was still a gorgeous ride. Also, pay attention to the weather, as the last time I was in Durango, the train cars were open to the weather. Rain slickers and sweatshirts might be needed.

Thanks for tip ...we are hoping to go to grand junction then south to durango

Going from Grand Junction down to Durango, if you take 50 down to Montrose, and then follow 550 to Durango, it will take you through a town called Ouray, which is nicknamed "the Switzerland of Colorado", and it's worth stopping at, even if just for a rest stop and a meal. The scenery in that place is absolutely breathtaking, and there are several scenic overlooks you can stop at to take pictures. There's also some pretty good chow in the various cafes and restaurants, not to mention the road from Ouray into Durango goes past Silverton, and the whole ride is beautiful. Plan some time for that route though, as it goes through the mountains, and there are lots of places with twisty roads and switchbacks.

we have pulled the trigger.....have flights and car rental and train tickets.....i would rather do grand junction than colorado springs but mostly like will go back that way to catch another damn train...i want to go to mesa verde there is just too much to do...how is the million dollar highway?

how much should i budget for smoke? ABikerSailor i want a few prerolls...dipped in oil and rolled in keif....and then flower to smoke....hubby is all grumpy but i figure 500 bones

Your figure is more than enough for what you are thinking of getting. What you want (dipped in oil and rolled in keif) is called "caviar", but I don't know if they sell it in pre-rolls. And, just a bit of extra knowledge for you, if you are NOT a Colorado resident, you can only buy up to 1 ounce/day/store. CO's laws say that non residents can only buy up to 1 ounce. Residents on the other hand can get a lot more than that (not sure of the amount). And, be prepared, as they WILL ask for proper ID (driver's license) to verify if you are over the age of 21, and if you are a resident or not. So, if you still have money after you visit your first store (and from what you said you budgeted, you will), take what you got from the first store and put it in your car, then go down the street to another store, and buy up to an ounce again. DO NOT walk into a 420 store with a bag from a previous store, because as soon as they see your ID, they will tell you that they can't sell to you that day because you've already hit your limit (saw one poor sap do that once). Make sure you have tupperware to seal it in if you are going to leave the state (stuff from CO stores stinks to high heaven and your car WILL smell like a 420 shop if you don't put it in something sealed). As far as the prices? It can range anywhere from 70 to 250/oz., depending on the strain that you get. My personal favorites? Strawberry Cough, Gorilla Glue, Jesus OG and Golden Goat (all are half Sativa strains or better). And remember, there IS a difference between Sativa and Indica. Indica (also known as "in da couch" will give you pain relief and couch lock (meaning you won't want to do anything or go anywhere). Sativa on the other hand will give you energy and a really nice happy buzz. I prefer Sativa myself. Also, don't be afraid to ask the bud tenders (that's what the sales people are called) about what strains will do what, as they are all very knowledgeable and will direct you to the strain that will do what you are looking for. Every strain has a different effect, so don't be afraid to ask about it. Enjoy shopping! I know I had lots of fun everytime I went to a cannabis store.

Also, you might want to investigate the edibles (chocolates, gummies and other things), as well as the vape pens. I like both of them fairly well, but prefer the flower. Vape pens are good if you are smoking somewhere where you don't want the smell to travel, and edibles are fun, but BE CAREFUL. If you eat the whole package, you will be stoned for at least the next 24 hours. My recommendation? Eat what the recommended dosage is, WAIT FOR 30 MIN., check how you feel, and if desired, eat another dose. Or, if you are someone with experience, go ahead and go double, triple, or eat the whole thing, as you'll know what you're getting into. But going for the whole thing WILL keep you stoned for the next 24 hours.....you've been warned, but have fun!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back