Democrats push to amend Constitution so 16-year-olds can vote

I would believe it because even when the Democrats had a majority it went nowhere and a Constitutional Amendment then would have to be passed by the states, and well, good luck.

Did that answer your question?

They might not need a constitutional amendment if they can bring a case to a friendly Supreme Court.

They might not need a constitutional amendment if they can bring a case to a friendly Supreme Court.

More than a dozen House Democrats this week proposed an amendment to the Constitution

Do we need a government refresher course?

More than a dozen House Democrats this week proposed an amendment to the Constitution to allow 16-year-olds to vote in an apparent attempt to make it easier to enact left-leaning policies like gun control and pro-environmental measures.

Democratic Rep. Grace Meng of New York introduced a resolution that would do away with the 26th Amendment to the Constitution, which allows U.S. citizens to vote if they are at least 18 years of age. The resolution would replace that with new language that says: "The right of citizens of the United States, who are sixteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."

Meng hadn’t released a statement on her proposal by early Thursday afternoon. But she released a statement in the last Congress, indicating a belief that lowering the voting age by amending the Constitution would let younger people have a say on many of the positions supported by Democrats.

"Our young people, including 16- and 17-year-olds, continue to fight and advocate for so many issues that they are passionate about from gun safety to the climate crisis," she said. "They have been tremendously engaged on policies affecting their lives and their futures."

When Democrats were in charge of the last Congress, they did nothing to advance Meng’s proposal. But groups that supported the idea of a lower voting age also indicated they like the idea because it will help advance left-leaning causes.

How about 27 instead? I mean if they can stay on their parent's insurance till 26 then they are not mature enough to vote.

That said I'm surprised it's not lower considering the left thinks a 4-year old can make a life changing decision on their gender.

Sounds about right considering the majority of dem voters have the maturity level of a 16 yo.

If it were up to me, no one over 65 would be allowed to hold public or corporate offices, and no one over 80 would be allowed to vote.
You aren't anywhere near 65 are you?
You should check out the movie 'Logan's Run' - you'd like it.

People made the same argument when it was lowered to 18. Do I think it should be 16? No, but I don't think it's any worse than those who would argue for 18 year olds to not have the right.
There can be a huge difference in maturity from 18 to 21.

While I agree this is something worth discussing on a board like this, my opinion is since I believe there is a zero chance of ever getting it to happen, I'm not going to worry over it very much.
I don't have problem w/it though.

More than a dozen House Democrats this week proposed an amendment to the Constitution to allow 16-year-olds to vote in an apparent attempt to make it easier to enact left-leaning policies like gun control and pro-environmental measures.

Democratic Rep. Grace Meng of New York introduced a resolution that would do away with the 26th Amendment to the Constitution, which allows U.S. citizens to vote if they are at least 18 years of age. The resolution would replace that with new language that says: "The right of citizens of the United States, who are sixteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."

Meng hadn’t released a statement on her proposal by early Thursday afternoon. But she released a statement in the last Congress, indicating a belief that lowering the voting age by amending the Constitution would let younger people have a say on many of the positions supported by Democrats.

"Our young people, including 16- and 17-year-olds, continue to fight and advocate for so many issues that they are passionate about from gun safety to the climate crisis," she said. "They have been tremendously engaged on policies affecting their lives and their futures."

When Democrats were in charge of the last Congress, they did nothing to advance Meng’s proposal. But groups that supported the idea of a lower voting age also indicated they like the idea because it will help advance left-leaning causes.

How about 27 instead? I mean if they can stay on their parent's insurance till 26 then they are not mature enough to vote.

That said I'm surprised it's not lower considering the left thinks a 4-year old can make a life changing decision on their gender.
Can i fuck a 16 year old then under this new rule, or are they still considered children? If they are considered children then they obviously cant vote.

Can i fuck a 16 year old then under this new rule, or are they still considered children? If they are considered children then they obviously cant vote.
So? 18 year olds can vote, but they can't drink.

I'm 64 years old, dumbass!
Some people never grow up. No matter. 16-year-olds aren't getting the vote. Grow up. Get a reality check and move on to adult points of view. Sorry.

So? 18 year olds can vote, but they can't drink.

I disagree with not letting them drink also. It's sad we will send them off to die in some desert on the other side of the world but if they make it back, they can't have a beer.

Some people never grow up. No matter. 16-year-olds aren't getting the vote. Grow up. Get a reality check and move on to adult points of view. Sorry.

16 year olds have their whole life ahead of them and have a huge stake in making a better world. Most old gizzers couldn't care less about the future of the world or the U.S.A.

In the 1960s the young anti-war people were 100% right, while the old self-centered gizzers couldn't care less about anything but making money off of other people's lives.

Good luck with that one.

They know the rules must be changed in order to win without cheating.

biden-curve.jpg

Forum List

Back