Democrats push to amend Constitution so 16-year-olds can vote

16 year olds have their whole life ahead of them and have a huge stake in making a better world. Most old gizzers couldn't care less about the future of the world or the U.S.A.

In the 1960s the young anti-war people were 100% right, while the old self-centered gizzers couldn't care less about anything but making money off of other people's lives.
Problem being, they are generally clueless, irresponsible little fks, and there is no getting around it.

16 year olds have their whole life ahead of them and have a huge stake in making a better world. Most old gizzers couldn't care less about the future of the world or the U.S.A.

In the 1960s the young anti-war people were 100% right, while the old self-centered gizzers couldn't care less about anything but making money off of other people's lives.
16 years olds are idealistic, ignorant and inexperienced. Dems only want this rule changed because most children believe in the dems propaganda and its shoved down their throats in every classroom, movie and song. Its AMAZING that so many people ditch your shit party once they get older, despite YEARS of indoctrination. Do you have any idea how much you have to immensely suck in order to make a brainwashed cult member think youre too crazy for them?

Agreed but it shouldn't even be an issue.
The fact that anyone in public office even thinks this is a good idea is frightening.
They'll probably lead them in with their age old talk of forgiving student debts and global utopia...while secretly using all their time and resources to fuck.over the planet. Once those kids grow up many will switch parties or at least stop voting Democrat once they realize what those people's agenda really is like.

16 years olds are idealistic, ignorant and inexperienced. Dems only want this rule changed because most children believe in the dems propaganda and its shoved down their throats in every classroom, movie and song. Its AMAZING that so many people ditch your shit party once they get older, despite YEARS of indoctrination. Do you have any idea how much you have to immensely suck in order to make a brainwashed cult member think youre too crazy for them?

There is zero evidence that "Dems" want this. As already pointed out, when they had a chance to bring it up and vote on it, they wouldn't.

More than a dozen House Democrats this week proposed an amendment to the Constitution to allow 16-year-olds to vote in an apparent attempt to make it easier to enact left-leaning policies like gun control and pro-environmental measures.

Democratic Rep. Grace Meng of New York introduced a resolution that would do away with the 26th Amendment to the Constitution, which allows U.S. citizens to vote if they are at least 18 years of age. The resolution would replace that with new language that says: "The right of citizens of the United States, who are sixteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."

Meng hadn’t released a statement on her proposal by early Thursday afternoon. But she released a statement in the last Congress, indicating a belief that lowering the voting age by amending the Constitution would let younger people have a say on many of the positions supported by Democrats.

"Our young people, including 16- and 17-year-olds, continue to fight and advocate for so many issues that they are passionate about from gun safety to the climate crisis," she said. "They have been tremendously engaged on policies affecting their lives and their futures."

When Democrats were in charge of the last Congress, they did nothing to advance Meng’s proposal. But groups that supported the idea of a lower voting age also indicated they like the idea because it will help advance left-leaning causes.

How about 27 instead? I mean if they can stay on their parent's insurance till 26 then they are not mature enough to vote.

That said I'm surprised it's not lower considering the left thinks a 4-year old can make a life changing decision on their gender.

Agree.
Alot of our children are insane, including 16 yr. olds.

More than a dozen House Democrats this week proposed an amendment to the Constitution to allow 16-year-olds to vote in an apparent attempt to make it easier to enact left-leaning policies like gun control and pro-environmental measures.

Democratic Rep. Grace Meng of New York introduced a resolution that would do away with the 26th Amendment to the Constitution, which allows U.S. citizens to vote if they are at least 18 years of age. The resolution would replace that with new language that says: "The right of citizens of the United States, who are sixteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."

Meng hadn’t released a statement on her proposal by early Thursday afternoon. But she released a statement in the last Congress, indicating a belief that lowering the voting age by amending the Constitution would let younger people have a say on many of the positions supported by Democrats.

"Our young people, including 16- and 17-year-olds, continue to fight and advocate for so many issues that they are passionate about from gun safety to the climate crisis," she said. "They have been tremendously engaged on policies affecting their lives and their futures."

When Democrats were in charge of the last Congress, they did nothing to advance Meng’s proposal. But groups that supported the idea of a lower voting age also indicated they like the idea because it will help advance left-leaning causes.

How about 27 instead? I mean if they can stay on their parent's insurance till 26 then they are not mature enough to vote.

That said I'm surprised it's not lower considering the left thinks a 4-year old can make a life changing decision on their gender.
It made sense to lower it to18, if they can be sent to war they ought to have a vote about it. I see little support for or likelyhood of passing an amendment for 16, they arent even out of school or emancipated.

18-year-old kids today have the wisdom and maturity of 13-year-olds from the sixties. That means 16-year-olds today have no reason to be anywhere near a voting booth. We need to start educating these kids before we entrust them with grown up responsibilities.

18-year-old kids today have the wisdom and maturity of 13-year-olds from the sixties. That means 16-year-olds today have no reason to be anywhere near a voting booth. We need to start educating these kids before we entrust them with grown up responsibilities.

Yupp!
Age 16 is the new age 12.

I hope Americans aren't stupid enough to approve that idiocy.

If you aren't responsible enough to pay for your own insurance, then you shouldn't be voting.

Insurance can be expensive, especially for those with a pre-existing condition. A young person could be working 40 hours a week and not be able to afford it. I kept my kids on our insurance policy till the day they kicked them off as it cost me not one extra cent.

At 16 you aren't mature enough to drink a beer or smoke a cigarette, apply for a credit card or even get a drivers license in some areas but democrats think it's O.K. to pick a president. Go figure.

At 16 you aren't mature enough to drink a beer or smoke a cigarette, apply for a credit card or even get a drivers license in some areas but democrats think it's O.K. to pick a president. Go figure.
Yet Republicans think they are old enough to have a baby.

It made sense to lower it to18, if they can be sent to war they ought to have a vote about it. I see little support for or likelyhood of passing an amendment for 16, they arent even out of school or emancipated.
21 may be the optimum age to vote. However, anyone who is younger and, in the military, could be given a special disposition to vote.

21 may be the optimum age to vote. However, anyone who is younger and, in the military, could be given a special disposition to vote.
What's optimal about it? Because people are optimally stupid at that age? I think 50 is the optimal age to vote.

I don’t agree. You can marry at 18, work as an adult at 18, join the military at 18 and if we ever re-instituted the draft, be drafted. Irregardless of actively being in the military, 18 is reasonable.

New Topics

Forum List

Back