Democrats push to amend Constitution so 16-year-olds can vote

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Democrats push to amend Constitution so 16-year-olds can vote

More than a dozen House Democrats this week proposed an amendment to the Constitution to allow 16-year-olds to vote in an apparent attempt to make it easier to enact left-leaning policies like gun control and pro-environmental measures.

Democratic Rep. Grace Meng of New York introduced a resolution that would do away with the 26th Amendment to the Constitution, which allows U.S. citizens to vote if they are at least 18 years of age. The resolution would replace that with new language that says: "The right of citizens of the United States, who are sixteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."

Meng hadn’t released a statement on her proposal by early Thursday afternoon. But she released a statement in the last Congress, indicating a belief that lowering the voting age by amending the Constitution would let younger people have a say on many of the positions supported by Democrats.

"Our young people, including 16- and 17-year-olds, continue to fight and advocate for so many issues that they are passionate about from gun safety to the climate crisis," she said. "They have been tremendously engaged on policies affecting their lives and their futures."

When Democrats were in charge of the last Congress, they did nothing to advance Meng’s proposal. But groups that supported the idea of a lower voting age also indicated they like the idea because it will help advance left-leaning causes.

How about 27 instead? I mean if they can stay on their parent's insurance till 26 then they are not mature enough to vote.

That said I'm surprised it's not lower considering the left thinks a 4-year old can make a life changing decision on their gender.

While I agree this is something worth discussing on a board like this, my opinion is since I believe there is a zero chance of ever getting it to happen, I'm not going to worry over it very much.

i was a Howard Dean supportin' Bush/Iraq War hater at 16 ...so were many of my bro's at school

Agreed but it shouldn't even be an issue.
The fact that anyone in public office even thinks this is a good idea is frightening.

People made the same argument when it was lowered to 18. Do I think it should be 16? No, but I don't think it's any worse than those who would argue for 18 year olds to not have the right.

This way Mom Social Justice Warrior can fill out Junior's ballot and mail it in or drop box it.

Child like minds thing alike. More children voting equals more votes for Democratic candidates. I would be offended if I was a Democrat, but most aren’t wise enough to even realize that this is a slap in the face.

People made the same argument when it was lowered to 18. Do I think it should be 16? No, but I don't think it's any worse than those who would argue for 18 year olds to not have the right.
When 16 year olds fight and die for this country then they can vote with my blessing.

Child like minds thing alike. More children voting equals more votes for Democratic candidates. I would be offended if I was a Democrat, but most aren’t wise enough to even realize that this is a slap in the face.
Maybe the dem tards see it as a matter of survival. Woke is losing it's luster.

How about 27 instead? I mean if they can stay on their parent's insurance till 26 then they are not mature enough to vote.

Can you lay out the connection between being on an insurance policy and voting?

Forum List

Back