Democrats Plan to Legalize Marijuana in 2021

I'm saying that marijuana should be treated as an over the counter medication. I don't believe in getting stoned however many friends of mine that are veterans use it and if they go to the VA the doctors can't prescribe it because it is federally illegal. I just don't see it as big of an issue considering the alternatives are worse.

I didn't consider that but it makes sense to me. My wife had bad episode with opiods, gave them up, and every so often now she'll take a marijuana capsule and hit the bed for the afternoon. I never go into the dispensary with her, a good portion of folks I see going in are other seniors. She explained what she takes has less of the stuff that gets one high and more of the stuff that lessens the pain which allows her to sleep. Only other side effect I've noticed is that she'll laugh more at things I say.

I'm saying that marijuana should be treated as an over the counter medication. I don't believe in getting stoned however many friends of mine that are veterans use it and if they go to the VA the doctors can't prescribe it because it is federally illegal. I just don't see it as big of an issue considering the alternatives are worse.

I didn't consider that but it makes sense to me. My wife had bad episode with opiods, gave them up, and every so often now she'll take a marijuana capsule and hit the bed for the afternoon. I never go into the dispensary with her, a good portion of folks I see going in are other seniors. She explained what she takes has less of the stuff that gets one high and more of the stuff that lessens the pain which allows her to sleep. Only other side effect I've noticed is that she'll laugh more at things I say.
My daughter has an opioid addiction which led to other drugs. She has be clean for three years and she uses edibles to control her pain. I’d rather have that then what we went through a few years back not knowing whether the cops would be knocking at our door or not.

The issue is freaking crazy. You can't smoke a cigarette anywhere in the Big Apple without risking a $250 fine but you can smoke a freaking joint. Second hand cigarette smoke is alleged to be cancer causing but there are no statistics on marijuana smoke. Lefties want to outlaw a legal substance while legalizing a more potent drug. WTF is going on?
Interesting tidbit from Virginia, which legalized recreational marijuana yesterday...

"Lets say I was walking down main street of Marion and saw three 20-year-olds," Clair said. "One has a beer, one has a cigarette and one is smoking marijuana. The kid with a beer is guilty with a class one misdemeanor. The kid smoking a cigarette is guilty of a civil penalty up to $100. The kid smoking marijuana is guilty of a civil penalty of $25. That's an inconsistent message to send to the youth of the Commonwealth."

Here it is...

Democratic senators move toward ending the federal prohibition on cannabis

For the first time in Senate history, Democrats on Wednesday will move toward ending the federal prohibition on cannabis, removing it from the federal list of controlled substances. It's a move sponsors hope will also end the disproportionate harm that has been done to communities of color.

"The Cannabis Administration and Opportunity Act will ensure that Americans -- especially Black and Brown Americans -- no longer have to fear arrest or be barred from public housing or federal financial aid for higher education for using cannabis in states where it's legal," the discussion draft reads. "State-compliant cannabis businesses will finally be treated like other businesses and allowed access to essential financial services, like bank accounts and loans. Medical research will no longer be stifled."

More at the link...

Bill text is not available. Discussion draft is here:

Looks like legislative draft will be submitted towards the end of this year.

In addition to allowing states to regulate, the Fed would tax marijuana at up to 25%..

The issue is freaking crazy. You can't smoke a cigarette anywhere in the Big Apple without risking a $250 fine but you can smoke a freaking joint. Second hand cigarette smoke is alleged to be cancer causing but there are no statistics on marijuana smoke. Lefties want to outlaw a legal substance while legalizing a more potent drug. WTF is going on?
Interesting tidbit from Virginia, which legalized recreational marijuana yesterday...

"Lets say I was walking down main street of Marion and saw three 20-year-olds," Clair said. "One has a beer, one has a cigarette and one is smoking marijuana. The kid with a beer is guilty with a class one misdemeanor. The kid smoking a cigarette is guilty of a civil penalty up to $100. The kid smoking marijuana is guilty of a civil penalty of $25. That's an inconsistent message to send to the youth of the Commonwealth."
Sounds like the right message, healthwise.

And that person is a bit off anyway. Those penalties are not accurate. The kid with the joint is committing two offenses and will get $50 and mandatory drug treatment.

The person who gifted it to him committed a misdemeanor. If he sold it to him, its a felony.

The misdemeanor for the beer is absurd.

Last edited:
I'm sure the Bible-belching conservatives will recoil in horror, but the truth is, marijuana is a far better, and safer, alternative to alcohol.

Minorities have always been most impacted by marijuana laws, ruining far too many lives for nothing. This is the first step, the next would be expungement.
Are you trying to say that minorities use drugs more than white people ? That's racist.

I'm sure the Bible-belching conservatives will recoil in horror, but the truth is, marijuana is a far better, and safer, alternative to alcohol.

Minorities have always been most impacted by marijuana laws, ruining far too many lives for nothing. This is the first step, the next would be expungement.
Are you trying to say that minorities use drugs more than white people ? That's racist.
I'm not saying that at all you idiot, I'm saying that the police arrest, and the courts incarcerate, minorities at a far higher rate than they do whites.

It would be about god damned time.

You have both the right and the responsibility to take care of your own damn body. Big daddy government need not interfere.

I will believe it when I see it actually pass though. It should have happened a long time ago.

"Democratic Senate leadership has a plan to legalize marijuana at the federal level at some point this year.

In a joint statement released Monday, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Ron Wyden and Senator Cory Booker detailed how the Democratic-controlled upper chamber will prioritize federal marijuana legalization in the new Congress. They plan to introduce legislation in the coming weeks designed to establish a taxed and regulated cannabis market."

More at the link...

Last congress, a bill to legalize marijuana actually passed the House. It never came to the floor of the Senate...

So far this year, Republican Gregory Steube of Florida has introduced a bill to reclassify marijuana from Schedule I to Schedule III. It has zero cosponsors, so it probably won't go anywhere...

The question is, if/when this happens, will Biden sign it? I suspect he will, despite his previous opposition to legalization, because he is a puppet.

This would be good.

Then all the lefties would be to stoned to vote during elections.

I'm not saying that at all you idiot, I'm saying that the police arrest, and the courts incarcerate, minorities at a far higher rate than they do whites.

But you think whites committ crimes at the same rate as miniorities.

We have been on the road to legalizing for a very long time. You can post the down sides. The up sides will be saving billions on prisons & drug busts & ruining young life's with criminal history's for brief interludes in drug use.
Like we need more people like Jeff Spicoli...not.

Forum List

Back