Democrats court packing rhetoric is a mistake...

Bad idea. The court is 4-4 at this point with Barrett still TBD. This just makes Democrats look like a little kid throwing a tantrum because they didn't get their way. It is also the reason it's stupid to vote for Democrats at this time. Stick with Trumpy
WTF are you talking about? She took the official oath this morning.
Another rocket scientist. Tell me about her decisions. Only Democrat appointments are closed minded bigots ( sure things). Stick with Trumpie

If it becomes a rubber stamp for the Conservative agenda, then I expect Democrats to make a radical response
Radical responses beget radical responses.

Had Harry Reid and the Democrats not executed the nuclear option, we wouldn't be here right now.

The further down this road we go the more likely we reach one possible outcome.

Way I see it Biden (who has said this) wants to review how courts positions are filled and how are they made today... McConnell created havoc by manipulating his position by blocking a huge amount of Obama's picks and then ramming as many through with no regard when he got the chance...
Appointing justices should not be a winner take all and McConnell betrayed that...

I say what might happen is:
  • SC increased by two
  • New SC justices will get a term of 22 years...
  • That means a President gets to appoint 2 justices per 4 year cycle... (one on first year and another on year 3)
  • If a justice dies or retires then a justice can doesn't get replaced or is replaced for until the end of his term (He/She can be nominated again in this case)
  • There will be a need to sort something out until the system is fully running.
Something like this can make it a little easier and more representative of the people.

...unless they believe the confirmation of Amy Barrett has totally demoralized their base...Schumer and the Democrats proclamations of retaliation and court-packing will only hurt them with independents and undecideds.

That's my opinion...what is yours?

--------
Democrats say Republicans will regret Barrett confirmation, slam 'manipulation' of Supreme Court

The Supreme Court is already making a strong case for expanding it. They are clearly hostile to voting rights and the right to have their vote counted as long as it is done by election day. You have 4 justices who want to override the Pennsylvania Supreme Court's ruling on mail in ballots. There are no federal issues involved here. There are several cases where the court could go to the far right and provide more ammunition for a expanded Supreme Court as well as the lower courts.

I believe how this Conservative Court behaves will go a long way to determining how Dems react.

If they act as a Conservative voice and nibble at the edges of major legislation, I think Biden and the Dems will live with it.

If they seek to override the election, reverse Obamacare and Roe v Wade.......then I think Dems will have no choice

The Republicans conspiring with the Supreme Court to disenfranchise voters is a major strike. If the Supreme Court overrules the Pennsylvania Supreme Court after she joins the court, will be strike 2. If you look at Kavanaugh's crazy ramblings about counting ballots and a majority of the court agrees with him, that could be strike 3. Imagine what happens if the Supreme Court says states have to stop counting at midnight.

Bad idea. The court is 4-4 at this point with Barrett still TBD. This just makes Democrats look like a little kid throwing a tantrum because they didn't get their way. It is also the reason it's stupid to vote for Democrats at this time. Stick with Trumpy
Another rocket scientist. Tell me about her decisions. Only Democrat appointments are closed minded bigots ( sure things). Stick with Trumpie

We know what Trump expects her to do. He has told us that.

If it becomes a rubber stamp for the Conservative agenda, then I expect Democrats to make a radical response

Had Harry Reid and the Democrats not executed the nuclear option, we wouldn't be here right now.

That is not true. Democrats did not use the nuclear option for Supreme Court justices. Republicans are the ones who did that.

...unless they believe the confirmation of Amy Barrett has totally demoralized their base...Schumer and the Democrats proclamations of retaliation and court-packing will only hurt them with independents and undecideds.

--------
Democrats say Republicans will regret Barrett confirmation, slam 'manipulation' of Supreme Court

The Dems want the Supreme ct to have a Liberal majority, but increasing the number of justices by itself will not be enough. To get control, they need to make sure the additional judges are liberal Democrats and that means they have to control which judges sit on the SC. The only way to do that is to get a majority of Democrats in the Senate so they can confirm only the Liberal ones. That's why they talk about statehood for DC and Puerto Rico.
They have alot to do to achieve their aims and much of it will be difficult. The last court packing plan failed in 1937 because Congress refused to cooperate.

That is not true. Democrats did not use the nuclear option for Supreme Court justices. Republicans are the ones who did that.
How did they do that?

I used to be a Democrat, but the party has changed for the worse. Habitual lying, personal vendettas and dirty politics are all they have.

Wish I could live long enough to see it.

If Democrats get House/Senate/Presidency, they will add x# of new justices.

next time Republicans get House/Senate/Presidency, they will add x# of new justices.

At some point, SCOTUS will have as many justices as there are members of the Senate.

and working to match the number of congresspersons in the House.
False. Republicans have zero to gain by expanding the court. More Justices are harder to control and is a much bigger wildcard. Look at Roberts’s vote on the ACA. Nine is too many for Republicans, who wanted to shrink it in the face of a Hillary victory.

So I say go ahead, Republicans! The more the merrier.

Republicans have zero to gain by expanding the court.

They have as much to gain as Democrats
Then they should do it. :lol:

Currently, no need to.
Oh, I disagree. He needs to make the Dems BEG to not pack the Courts.

He needs to force a constitutional amendment RIGHT FUCKING NOW!!!
yep. WHEN trump wins, and IF we have the power to do so, we need to make changes like this more difficult. while i'm fine if we need to change, we DO NOT need to change cause you hate losing or feel slighted.

you need to grow up.

now all this PACK THE COURTS - again a tad premature given they don't look like they will win much next week. if they lose AND lose the house also then everything they've been saying THEY would do could easily be done for the right. imagine their heads exploding as all their whining about what they will do simply becomes the action plan for the right.
This has NOTHING to do with feeling slighted.

What I am saying is that this is an opportunity for the United States of America to AMEND the Constitution to limit the SCOTUS to 9 justices and get this threat off the table ONCE AND FOR ALL. We cannot have the commies even threaten to do what they did to Venezuela.
I agree. We should limit the number of justices by amendment to get stability on the court.

We know what Trump expects her to do. He has told us that.
Trump wants her to follow the constitution. That's what she's supposed to do.

I think Biden would love packing the court because that would be a great spot for his lead shakedown accomplise, Hunter, Stick with Trumpy

--------

I believe the GOP have politicized the SCOTUS to a whole new level. If the Dems win big they should make some changes to this broken system where the minority governs the majority. Didn't we fight a revolution over that issue? I don't know if the changes should include packing the court but reforming the Senate and the Electoral College should be on the agenda. Elections have consequences.

--------

The Supreme Court is already making a strong case for expanding it. They are clearly hostile to voting rights and the right to have their vote counted as long as it is done by election day. You have 4 justices who want to override the Pennsylvania Supreme Court's ruling on mail in ballots. There are no federal issues involved here. There are several cases where the court could go to the far right and provide more ammunition for a expanded Supreme Court as well as the lower courts.

I believe how this Conservative Court behaves will go a long way to determining how Dems react.

If they act as a Conservative voice and nibble at the edges of major legislation, I think Biden and the Dems will live with it.

If they seek to override the election, reverse Obamacare and Roe v Wade.......then I think Dems will have no choice

The Republicans conspiring with the Supreme Court to disenfranchise voters is a major strike. If the Supreme Court overrules the Pennsylvania Supreme Court after she joins the court, will be strike 2. If you look at Kavanaugh's crazy ramblings about counting ballots and a majority of the court agrees with him, that could be strike 3. Imagine what happens if the Supreme Court says states have to stop counting at midnight.

Yeah, imagine that they give the states any rights. Just imagine that.

--------

They were trying to intimidate the republicans into not voting in Barrett while advertising that they would soon have power in hopes of more donations from the Billionaire puppet masters----this stunt though will and did motivate the republicans even the ones that don't like Trump to vote for Trump to stop the dems.

Had Mitch followed decades of procedure and not filibustered every appointment it would not have been necessary

--------

My opinion is, like most important issues, Democrats don't care. They simply don't.
If Biden wins and they actually installed 3 more judges - all OBVIOUSLY of liberal persuasion... they would have no problem with it. As long as it goes their way - they are cool with absolutely anything.

--------

Trump is licking his chops waiting for HIS Supreme Court to override the election results

Forum List

Back