Dem-run NYC now spending $39,000 per kid in schools!!!

The math is good. We need math teachers. Social studies is garbage.
The only reason I ever taught social studies was because there were not enough social studies teacher. I was originally hired because of a math teacher shortage obviously and I do not have a degree in math. I taught math for 3 years and one history class for half a year, then math full time for several years. Because I was selected as a team leader, I switched departments to a team that needed a social studies teacher as the department head was brand new. From there I was promoted to assistant principal. When I changed states, I went back to math for 3 years, and then my principal asked me to switch to middle school social studies for a year because the school lost an experienced teacher. I went back to math for the rest of my career. My ability to teach both subjects was an asset to my schools because I could switch in a heartbeat. No other teachers had that ability.

Your apparent lack of knowledge of the Constitution verifies your belief because you never attempted to learn it.

Maybe - but they are extremely overpaid. Any moron can teach english lit or history or social studies. Schools should teach STEM only. Then they'd be worth 80 thou a year.
Wow! You really are dedicated to appearing stupid! I could not teach English Lit because I could not pass the test to teach it, so I never tried. Your ignorance of the Constitution is evidence that you could not teach anyone anything.

the cost of living, expenses for materials etc etc are far higher.

They have Staples in New York, they have Staples in Alabama. Textbooks are purchased directly from publishers and cost the same in every state.

It's time to stop pretending that taxpayer funding for schools is am investment

The only reason I ever taught social studies was because there were not enough social studies teacher. I was originally hired because of a math teacher shortage obviously and I do not have a degree in math.

Most HS math teachers do not have a degree in math. They were taught how to teach math but they don't really know the subject and that's a problem. Most schools base the teacher salary solely on years teaching and that is really dumb. Math teachers should get 4 times what english teachers. Then maybe we don't get some good math teachers in our schools.

Most HS math teachers do not have a degree in math. They were taught how to teach math but they don't really know the subject and that's a problem. Most schools base the teacher salary solely on years teaching and that is really dumb. Math teachers should get 4 times what english teachers. Then maybe we don't get some good math teachers in our schools.
I knew lots of my fellow teachers who had math degrees. I had a double minor in math, (30 hours) for my undergrad degree in history, and then took additional coursework in order to be certified such as number theory and statistical analysis that were not required for my degree, I had the equivalent number of hours for a degree, but they were split between 2 universities, so I could not get a BS. They do know the subject. A math education degree is actually a dual degree in math and education. I also had a master's in education about 5 years after I started teaching.

I don't know why you say they do not know the subject. I never encountered a teacher that did not.

They have Staples in New York, they have Staples in Alabama. Textbooks are purchased directly from publishers and cost the same in every state.

It's time to stop pretending that taxpayer funding for schools is am investment
I believe he is referring to the general cost of living's effect on teacher and personnel salaries. A teacher living in Long Island NY's starting salary is about twice that of a state like Florida.

The cost of living is much higher in NYC than it is almost anywhere else in the USA. Of course school staff is going to make more and overall expenses are going to be much higher.

You could literally apply this to any industry, business or service when comparing NYC to the rest of the country, and get the same “shocking” disparity

Common sense, people

Most HS math teachers do not have a degree in math. They were taught how to teach math but they don't really know the subject and that's a problem. Most schools base the teacher salary solely on years teaching and that is really dumb. Math teachers should get 4 times what english [sic] teachers. Then maybe we don't get some good math teachers in our schools [sic].

It sure seems like YOU didn't have very good English teachers.

Forum List

Back