Dangers Of Marijuana

Yet another reason I think marijuana is better than alcohol. Alcohol lowers a person's inhibitions to the point where they would do lots of things drunk that they would never consider doing when they are sober.

Marijuana on the other hand? Doesn't lower your inhibitions, just gives you a brighter view of the world and you feel happier about being here. If a person wouldn't do something sober, they won't do it stoned either.
Except eat an entire pizza and 4 packs of twinkies.

The effect of different substances and all addictions including compulsive obsessive behaviors will vary from person to person. All I'm saying here is that marijuana use is not safe for everybody and it can be addictive.
Not really. Weed isn;t really addictive like other drugs and as I said caffeine is tougher to kick than pot

You don't see people stealing to feed a weed habit like you do with heroin, meth or crack addicts

Not really. Weed isn;t really addictive like other drugs and as I said caffeine is tougher to kick than pot

You don't see people stealing to feed a weed habit like you do with heroin, meth or crack addicts
It can be addictive. You won't convince me or any medical professional otherwise.

It can be addictive. You won't convince me or any medical professional otherwise.

Caffeine is addictive
Sugar is addictive
Social media and gambling are addictive.

Just saying something is addictive is utterly meaningless. What is the severity of the addiction, the severity of withdrawal symptoms, does the addiction make a person unable to function in any area of daily life. is the addiction deadly?

There are two types of addiction. Physical and mental. Weed can be mentally addictive. But unless you smoke like a Rastafarian, it is not physically addictive.
As I have already posted credible links, it can also be physically addictive with very definite physical withdrawal symptoms. To tell people it cannot be physically addictive I think is irresponsible. It is not as addictive as heroin, cocaine, or even alcohol but it can be physically addictive.

Caffeine is addictive
Sugar is addictive
Social media and gambling are addictive.

Just saying something is addictive is utterly meaningless. What is the severity of the addiction, the severity of withdrawal symptoms, does the addiction make a person unable to function in any area of daily life. is the addiction deadly?
The point I am making is to continue to tell people that marijuana is not addictive is irresponsible at best, could be dangerous or even deadly at worst though incidents of people dying from marijuana use alone are very small.

The point I am making is to continue to tell people that marijuana is not addictive is irresponsible at best, could be dangerous or even deadly at worst.
And the term addictive is utterly meaningless for the reasons I gave earlier do you care to actually comment on that?

And the term addictive is utterly meaningless for the reasons I gave earlier do you care to actually comment on that?
Addiction, whether psychological or physical is addiction and is not at all meaningless for those who work with people and/or their families suffering from it. Marijuana can be both psychologically and physically addictive. And though some, maybe most, use it relatively safely, it is irresponsible to reassure people that it is neither.

Last edited:
Addiction, whether psychological or physical is addiction and is not at all meaningless for those who work with people and/or their families suffering from it. Marijuana can be both psychologically and physically addictive. And though some use it relatively safely,
it is irresponsible to reassure people that is neither.

So tell me are your panties in as much of a twist over ALL things that are addictive like caffeine and countless other everyday drugs or is it just weed?

If you were really worried about the dangerous addictions , alcohol would be first on your list since alcohol addiction actually kills more people than any other drug and no one has ever died from a thc addiction

So tell me are your panties in as much of a twist over ALL things that are addictive like caffeine and countless other everyday drugs or is it just weed?

If you were really worried about the dangerous addictions , alcohol would be first on your list since alcohol addiction actually kills more people than any other drug and no one has ever died from a thc addiction
Please reread the thread and you'll know what I know and why I know it.

Yes, marijuana can be MENTALLY addictive, but it is not physically addictive. But then again, lots of things can be mentally addictive. Prime example today of something that is legal yet seriously addictive? Smart phones. There are many people out there (I'd be willing to say at least half the population with a smart phone) who seem to have an almost pathological need to check their e-mail, latest tweets and whatever else they deem important on the 'net via their smartphones. Take a persons smartphone away who uses it almost continuously and watch them start to jones. "Crackberrys" (Blackberry phones) were the first ones that people showed addictive behaviors with. Now? Just about anyone with an Android or IPhone is lost and twitchy if you take it away from them.

And, like I told you before, there have been serious medical studies out there about addiction and marijuana, and it has been shown that marijuana can help people kick more serious addictions because marijuana in and of itself is NOT physically addictive in any way. Matter of fact, cannabis has been proven to be extremely beneficial in helping people kick opiate and alcohol addictions, so much so that those addictions are approved for medicinal marijuana use.

Yes, marijuana can be MENTALLY addictive, but it is not physically addictive. But then again, lots of things can be mentally addictive. Prime example today of something that is legal yet seriously addictive? Smart phones. There are many people out there (I'd be willing to say at least half the population with a smart phone) who seem to have an almost pathological need to check their e-mail, latest tweets and whatever else they deem important on the 'net via their smartphones. Take a persons smartphone away who uses it almost continuously and watch them start to jones. "Crackberrys" (Blackberry phones) were the first ones that people showed addictive behaviors with. Now? Just about anyone with an Android or IPhone is lost and twitchy if you take it away from them.

And, like I told you before, there have been serious medical studies out there about addiction and marijuana, and it has been shown that marijuana can help people kick more serious addictions because marijuana in and of itself is NOT physically addictive in any way. Matter of fact, cannabis has been proven to be extremely beneficial in helping people kick opiate and alcohol addictions, so much so that those addictions are approved for medicinal marijuana use.
I posted the medical information that it can also be physically addictive with very obvious physical withdrawal symptoms. To tell people that there is no way they will become psychologically or physically addicted is irresponsible because there is a risk, however small, of both. Most especially for those more susceptible to addictions.

As for medical marijuana use, most especially in the treatment of the addictions, the expert opinions vary widely from those who say it helps and many who say it not only does not help but can exacerbate the problem. Clinical studies are ongoing.

Sugar kills more Americans than alcohol and pot combined. It is very addicting. So I believe yes pot is addictive. Like a lot of other things.

I posted the medical information that it can also be physically addictive with very obvious physical withdrawal symptoms. To tell people that there is no way they will become psychologically or physically addicted is irresponsible because there is a risk, however small, of both. Most especially for those more susceptible to addictions.

As for medical marijuana use, most especially in the treatment of the addictions, the expert opinions vary widely from those who say it helps and many who say it not only does not help but can exacerbate the problem. Clinical studies are ongoing.

Over this entire thread, you posted ONE link that was to an addiction treatment site. They have a vested interest in telling you that you are addicted so that they can get you to come to them for treatment. All the studies I've seen that come from places who have no reason either way to say it's addictive or not all come to the same conclusions................while it is possible to become mentally addicted to it, there are no indications that it is physically addictive. And those studies come from places like Harvard Medical and the British Medical society, not a treatment facility. But, continue to believe as you wish, it's not really any skin off my nose.

Sugar kills more Americans than alcohol and pot combined. It is very addicting. So I believe yes pot is addictive. Like a lot of other things.
Heart disease and diabetes are linked to excess sugar consumption.

Over this entire thread, you posted ONE link that was to an addiction treatment site. They have a vested interest in telling you that you are addicted so that they can get you to come to them for treatment. All the studies I've seen that come from places who have no reason either way to say it's addictive or not all come to the same conclusions................while it is possible to become mentally addicted to it, there are no indications that it is physically addictive. And those studies come from places like Harvard Medical and the British Medical society, not a treatment facility. But, continue to believe as you wish, it's not really any skin off my nose.

So okay, that's what you believe or want to believe. Most users want to believe what you believe. For many it is true personally. For the ones susceptible to addiction or heavy use, however, it is a very dangerous belief.

And none of that is changed by diverting to other addictions that are deemed more common or worse. I am not at all trying to make marijuana use the same as any other substance that can be abused. Each is different with its own degree of risk. I do want to educate people on the risks that exist with marijuana use no matter what you believe.

Forum List

Back