Dangers Of Marijuana

Yes it is. Try and stop using it after doing so for a year or so and you'll see what I meant.
I smoked for about 2 months, on and off, since retirement, and I have found out in the past couple weeks I don't feel like doing it anymore. It just has lost any appeal since I restarted using it after not using for 28 years. To say this is addictive mentally might be correct, depending on the personality of the user, but unlike nicotine, it is not addictive physically.

I became 420 friendly after I retired, and even did a couple of experiments on myself to find out how my body reacted. One that was very interesting was concerning my O2 uptake. I started riding my bicycle again after a few years of not riding and noticed that my smoking cigarettes had a serious impact on my O2 uptake. I also smoked marijuana at the time.

So................I decided to stop smoking cigarettes and see what happened. Interestingly enough, when I stopped smoking cigarettes, yet continued to smoke marijuana, my O2 uptake went back up to almost the levels that they were when I didn't smoke anything. Cannabis (as least with me) has never impacted my ability to process oxygen while exercising, and I also noticed that my soreness from long rides was alleviated a great deal by marijuana, and I seemed to recover much faster.

Yes, while smoking anything can have an impact on your ability to process oxygen while exercising, the impact of marijuana seems to be negligible, and the effect of cigarettes is much greater and much more severe.
And you don't even have to smoke weed anymore.

I use a dry herb vaporizer and there is no smoke because the weed isn't heated to combustion

And none of them were any more addicted or damaged as much as a niece who is hopelessly addicted to marijuana. She has multiple health problems including serious scarring of the lungs from years of smoking pot. She cannot go without it without unbearable withdrawal symptoms. She refuses to acknowledge the problem or get help.

Maybe so. But to say that weed is not addictive at all flies in the face of clear evidence and science.

it can be addictive mentally.....physically no....

Scientists and doctors have done a great deal of research over the last few years since it has become legal for medicinal use and in some places for recreation, and have found that marijuana IS NOT physically addictive in any way shape or form. A person who suddenly stops smoking marijuana after heavy use for a period of time does NOT go through any kind of physical withdrawl symptom. As Harry noted though, there could be mental issues to deal with, but a person can become mentally addicted to anything.............shopping, exercise, gambling, their phone, etc. And, I'm not going to discount your account of what you saw in your relative, but are you sure that marijuana was the only substance she was using? Because her withdrawl symptoms sound a lot more like alcohol use than marijuana.

I'd spent the last 8 years of my military career as a Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor in the Navy, and with all the information I'd been given concerning various substances, I could never figure out why they said marijuana was dangerous, because compared to other things, it seemed almost benign. So, after I'd retired and started to indulge, I decided to try an experiment on myself. I spent a month (a full 30 days) of using cannabis on a fairly heavy basis, consuming it throughout the day from when I woke up until I went to bed (I was retired, so my time was my own and I didn't have any obligations that needed to be met), and on day 30, suddenly stopped and went a week without partaking at all. Know what I noticed? First, that I was no longer stoned, but that was it. No shakes, no jitters, just that my mood was no longer elevated and I was normal. Didn't even feel a need to go get some (jonesing) either, just that I was back to normal.

I did notice however that when I went back to smoking it a week later, that the one week hiatus had resulted in the first couple of times I resumed that I felt just like I did when I first tried it.

No. Marijuana is not physically addictive. As a matter of fact, there have been several studies done where it has actually showed to be helpful in weaning people off of other substances like alcohol and heroin, so much so, that in many places it is considered to be an accepted treatment for addiction to alcohol and heroin.

Try that same experiment with alcohol, and you'd better make sure you have someone on call who can help you out when you stop, because you WILL experience DT's, nausea and shaking.

And you don't even have to smoke weed anymore.

I use a dry herb vaporizer and there is no smoke because the weed isn't heated to combustion

Yeah, I know that there are other ways of consuming it, but for some strange reason I seem to appreciate smoking it more than anything. I have done edibles and THC infused sodas, and while I do get the effect (and it lasts longer than smoking), I still prefer smoking it. Not only do I enjoy the terpines of various strains (and yes, Strawberry Cough DOES have an aftertaste of strawberries, same with some of the blueberry strains), but the coughing that follows a good strong hit seems to help clear the phlegm out of my lungs and throat. Seems to help a bit with the congestion associated with my hayfever and sometimes when I have a cold.

Scientists and doctors have done a great deal of research over the last few years since it has become legal for medicinal use and in some places for recreation, and have found that marijuana IS NOT physically addictive in any way shape or form. A person who suddenly stops smoking marijuana after heavy use for a period of time does NOT go through any kind of physical withdrawl symptom. As Harry noted though, there could be mental issues to deal with, but a person can become mentally addicted to anything.............shopping, exercise, gambling, their phone, etc. And, I'm not going to discount your account of what you saw in your relative, but are you sure that marijuana was the only substance she was using? Because her withdrawl symptoms sound a lot more like alcohol use than marijuana.

I'd spent the last 8 years of my military career as a Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor in the Navy, and with all the information I'd been given concerning various substances, I could never figure out why they said marijuana was dangerous, because compared to other things, it seemed almost benign. So, after I'd retired and started to indulge, I decided to try an experiment on myself. I spent a month (a full 30 days) of using cannabis on a fairly heavy basis, consuming it throughout the day from when I woke up until I went to bed (I was retired, so my time was my own and I didn't have any obligations that needed to be met), and on day 30, suddenly stopped and went a week without partaking at all. Know what I noticed? First, that I was no longer stoned, but that was it. No shakes, no jitters, just that my mood was no longer elevated and I was normal. Didn't even feel a need to go get some (jonesing) either, just that I was back to normal.

I did notice however that when I went back to smoking it a week later, that the one week hiatus had resulted in the first couple of times I resumed that I felt just like I did when I first tried it.

No. Marijuana is not physically addictive. As a matter of fact, there have been several studies done where it has actually showed to be helpful in weaning people off of other substances like alcohol and heroin, so much so, that in many places it is considered to be an accepted treatment for addiction to alcohol and heroin.

Try that same experiment with alcohol, and you'd better make sure you have someone on call who can help you out when you stop, because you WILL experience DT's, nausea and shaking.
I have been certified in substance abuse and addiction counseling. I'm pretty sure the current experts that don't have an agenda to promote marijuana use will all agree that it is not just psychologically addictive but can be physically addictive with very definite physical withdrawal symptoms. You can split hairs all you want to, but the stuff, while mostly harmless with minor to moderate use for many, can be devastating to others causing scarring of the lungs, long lasting changes in the brain, etc. And yes, I do know people suffering from marijuana addiction and who have experienced the more damaging effects.

Would I rate marijuana use as no different that cocaine or heroin or whatever? Of course not. Will you ever convince me that nobody who uses it will become addicted? Nope.

Last edited:
I have been certified in substance abuse and addiction counseling. I'm pretty sure the current experts that don't have an agenda to promote marijuana use will all agree that it is not just psychologically addictive but can be physically addictive with very definite physical withdrawal symptoms. You can split hairs all you want to, but the stuff, while harmless with minor to moderate use for many, can be devastating to others causing scarring of the lungs, long lasting changes in the brain, etc. And yes, I do know people suffering from marijuana addiction and who have experienced the more damaging effects.

Would I rate marijuana use as no different that cocaine or heroin or whatever? Of course not. Will you ever convince me that it isn't addictive for anybody? Nope.
Alcohol is harmless to most people but some folks become alcoholics.

Alcohol is harmless to most people but some folks become alcoholics.
Yes. Somewhere between 5 and 10% of those who drink alcohol regularly develop a dependency on it most especially if there is a family history of alcoholism.

Probably a lower percentage of those who use marijuana regularly become addicted but it does happen.

Whether it is addictive or not does it matter? Tray it like alcohol. We make the age limit 21. Unless you are against freedom.

Whether it is addictive or not does it matter? Tray it like alcohol. We make the age limit 21. Unless you are against freedom.
It does matter because of the health, social, financial, sometimes legal risks to the addict and to friends and family who have to deal with the addict. I do agree that only adults should have legal access to alcohol or any recreational drugs and accurate information as to the risks that exist should be readily available to all.

Dangers Of Marijuana​

It affects mood and brain chemistry

Stuff seems safe enough to me!

485994984-612x612.jpg

I have been certified in substance abuse and addiction counseling. I'm pretty sure the current experts that don't have an agenda to promote marijuana use will all agree that it is not just psychologically addictive but can be physically addictive with very definite physical withdrawal symptoms. You can split hairs all you want to, but the stuff, while mostly harmless with minor to moderate use for many, can be devastating to others causing scarring of the lungs, long lasting changes in the brain, etc. And yes, I do know people suffering from marijuana addiction and who have experienced the more damaging effects.

Would I rate marijuana use as no different that cocaine or heroin or whatever? Of course not. Will you ever convince me that nobody who uses it will become addicted? Nope.
my wife is more easily tolerated when IM high....I just laugh at her then but I dont smoke that shit anymore....its for losers

Yeah, I know that there are other ways of consuming it, but for some strange reason I seem to appreciate smoking it more than anything. I have done edibles and THC infused sodas, and while I do get the effect (and it lasts longer than smoking), I still prefer smoking it. Not only do I enjoy the terpines of various strains (and yes, Strawberry Cough DOES have an aftertaste of strawberries, same with some of the blueberry strains), but the coughing that follows a good strong hit seems to help clear the phlegm out of my lungs and throat. Seems to help a bit with the congestion associated with my hayfever and sometimes when I have a cold.
I used to smoke it but I've has asthma since i was a kid so when I discovered the dry herb vapes I jumped on them. I will say that you do lose a little bit of the effects but it's a compromise I'm willing to live with

It does matter because of the health, social, financial, sometimes legal risks to the addict and to friends and family who have to deal with the addict. I do agree that only adults should have legal access to alcohol or any recreational drugs and accurate information as to the risks that exist should be readily available to all.
There's a big difference between a weed smoker and a junkie.

Marijuana does not make people violent but it fucks up your brain chemistry and the residue stays in your body for years.

I qualified on a submarine and graduated from a university while being a stoner. I guess I should be thankful for the fucked up brain chemistry.

And whatever ill effects there are, it is worth it to be able to get stoned and listen to Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Center of the Earth on headphones.

Forum List

Back