• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Ted Frazier

Gold Member
Nov 12, 2016
Donald Trump gave subsidies to farmers in order to compensate for their losses as a result of the trade war with China, but it hasn’t been enough. The dairy farmers want more.
The dairy industry has been particularly critical of the program and, in a letter to Mr. Perdue, asked the administration to rethink how it calculates subsidies and to make them more generous to dairy farmers. The milk federation expects dairy farmers to lose $1.5 billion from the tariffs in the second half of this year and it has received only $127 million in aid.

A $12 Billion Program to Help Farmers Stung by Trump’s Trade War Has Aided Few

Will admit not to have read the article attached in OP. From a glance though this did catch my eye:

Farmers in general are having a tough year. The Agriculture Department’s economic research service predicts net farm income in the United States this year will fall by $9.8 billion, to $65.7 billion, a 13 percent drop from 2017.
If all of farming's income falls by $9.8 billion, then $12 billion to the subset of dairy farmers should be quite adequate. Would make sense to me if there another sector of farming that's greatly offsetting these dairy losses, I just can't imagine it. Or perhaps the economic impact of the loss was vastly understated?

Will admit not to have read the article attached in OP. From a glance though this did catch my eye:

Farmers in general are having a tough year. The Agriculture Department’s economic research service predicts net farm income in the United States this year will fall by $9.8 billion, to $65.7 billion, a 13 percent drop from 2017.
If all of farming's income falls by $9.8 billion, then $12 billion to the subset of dairy farmers should be quite adequate. Would make sense to me if there another sector of farming that's greatly offsetting these dairy losses, I just can't imagine it. Or perhaps the economic impact of the loss was vastly understated?
Imagine if farmers didn’t have massive subsidies and an entire useless industry we created for them, ethanol, so we can pretend we need more farmers.

Donald Trump gave subsidies to farmers in order to compensate for their losses as a result of the trade war with China, but it hasn’t been enough. The dairy farmers want more.
The dairy industry has been particularly critical of the program and, in a letter to Mr. Perdue, asked the administration to rethink how it calculates subsidies and to make them more generous to dairy farmers. The milk federation expects dairy farmers to lose $1.5 billion from the tariffs in the second half of this year and it has received only $127 million in aid.

How can that be after Trump won such an amazing concession from the Canadians in the new and amazing NAFTA?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Imagine if farmers didn’t have massive subsidies and an entire useless industry we created for them, ethanol, so we can pretend we need more farmers.

Yes but Jimmy said we need it to save the planet..

And the metric system..

And the metric system..

Who cares. That was 50 years ago. Time to stop letting farmers play pretend with massive taxpayer subsidies.

And the metric system..

Who cares. That was 50 years ago. Time to stop letting farmers play pretend with massive taxpayer subsidies.

That's how the food stamp program started.

And the metric system..

That's how the food stamp program started.

Farmers pretend they’ve earned something by playing pretend. Then they vote against the cities that subsidize their make believe. Cut all subsidies.

I thought Trump's Yuuuuge Canada NewNaftaTreaty opened up Canada's dairy market

Forum List

Back