Current Movies

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
What are your thoughts on current movies (movies made in 2020, 2021 and 2022)...?

Why must there be a political agenda in all movies? Or is it me? Can't a movie just be about reality, and not some propaganda of what people feel 'should be'?

I did like the new Dune,
The Unforgivable,
Encounter,
The Tender Bar

Was disappointed in Cry Macho by Eastwood and Power of The Dog.
What a couple of snooze fests.

What are your thoughts on current movies (movies made in 2020, 2021 and 2022)...?

Why must there be a political agenda in all movies? Or is it me? Can't a movie just be about reality, and not some propaganda of what people feel 'should be'?

Like what for example...

I was quite the movie theater hound before the covid and the local small three-screen theater had to shut down for better than a year.....Well two counting the renovation.

Now I could not tell you the name of a current theater only movie if my life depended on it. I just lost interest given most are one woke-fest after the other.

Haven’t been to the movies in a theatre in several years. I think the last movie I saw was either Marvel’s Endgame or Shazam.

Haven’t really seen anything that looks remotely interesting in quite awhile to motivate me either . I did agree to go see Spider-Man next week. Hopefully it doesnt suck.

Not all of them do.
But indeed, all too many do.
I don't have a problem with being a bit more inclusive in making movies, such as Denzel Washington playing Macbeth. If he does it well, I have no qualm.
But injecting wokeness and "inclusiveness" for the sake of doing it, is distracting and annoying.

Haven’t been to the movies in a theatre in several years. I think the last movie I saw was either Marvel’s Endgame or Shazam.

Haven’t really seen anything that looks remotely interesting in quite awhile to motivate me either . I did agree to go see Spider-Man next week. Hopefully it doesnt suck.
I haven't been to the movies either, but we watch some of the new releases (that seem interesting) at home on the Roku. I'm a woman and even I get tired of so many movies making men look like idiots, jerks etc. but all the women are smart and amazing. That seems to be the most common thread in recent movies (or putting a woman in a man's role... ????)

"Pig" with Nicolas Cage is good.

Won't spoil it.
Seen it. Yes, it was very good. I preferred that over the other movies he has done recently (they are good, just not my style e.g. Mandy)

I did like the new Dune,
The Unforgivable,
Encounter,
The Tender Bar

Was disappointed in Cry Macho by Eastwood and Power of The Dog.
What a couple of snooze fests.
Dune was pretty good.... looking forward to the follow up. Not seen the others... except for 20 mins of Cry Macho which was terrible and painful to watch.... The Tender Bar sounds like I might give it a try

Like what for example...
My answer to Blue Gin kinda gives an example.... another is making women that are 5'0 and 95 lbs kicking some guys ass (yeah, happens all the time!!!)

First Cow was excellent. Very different but a good story.
Saw that. Pretty good - I'm surprised you thought Pig was boring but this was interesting..... do you like history?

Not all of them do.
But indeed, all too many do.
I don't have a problem with being a bit more inclusive in making movies, such as Denzel Washington playing Macbeth. If he does it well, I have no qualm.
But injecting wokeness and "inclusiveness" for the sake of doing it, is distracting and annoying.
Agree! Can't wait for us to watch MacBeth tonight!!! :popcorn:

Dune was pretty good.... looking forward to the follow up. Not seen the others... except for 20 mins of Cry Macho which was terrible and painful to watch.... The Tender Bar sounds like I might give it a try
Just watched the Last Duel with Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Adam Driver.
Director Ridley Scott.
I thought it was pretty good.

Saw that. Pretty good - I'm surprised you thought Pig was boring but this was interesting..... do you like history?

History and Sci Fi are the genres I like the best but I can appreciate other stories.

I have not got into all the super hero movies that seem to be the in thing nowadays.

Tonight I plan on watching Last Duel. It is on HBO Max.

Last edited:
My answer to Blue Gin kinda gives an example.... another is making women that are 5'0 and 95 lbs kicking some guys ass (yeah, happens all the time!!!)

And you read a political agenda into that? I don't see the propaganda angle either really.

If I have a complaint about many if not most current movies, it is this. The standard 3 act format is in need of a change (Act I--Exposition, Act II--Rising to meet the challenge that is presented in Act I, Act III--Usually a victory for the protagonists). We could use some more creativity in the screen writing phase. You saw some of this with Nomadland; the 3 acts were there but the viewer is left to determine the conflicts and the ending was not neat or clean. Clint Eastwood is incredibly good at telling a great "small" story where (if you're unaware of how much time is left in the movie like in a cinema) you're not sure if you're near the end of the feature.

A companion complaint is this. When you do have your classic 3 act set up, the end is often needlessly ambiguous; almost as if the film maker is trying to trick you with a plot twist that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Forum List

Back