Current Movies

Haven’t been to the movies in a theatre in several years. I think the last movie I saw was either Marvel’s Endgame or Shazam.

Haven’t really seen anything that looks remotely interesting in quite awhile to motivate me either . I did agree to go see Spider-Man next week. Hopefully it doesnt suck.
Spider man is the first movie I seen at the theaters since like 2006?

It was a great movie

Just watched the Last Duel with Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Adam Driver.
Director Ridley Scott.
I thought it was pretty good.
Saw that too. What did you think of Ben Affleck in that movie! I could not get used to him in that role, and with blonde hair!

And you read a political agenda into that? I don't see the propaganda angle either really.

If I have a complaint about many if not most current movies, it is this. The standard 3 act format is in need of a change (Act I--Exposition, Act II--Rising to meet the challenge that is presented in Act I, Act III--Usually a victory for the protagonists). We could use some more creativity in the screen writing phase. You saw some of this with Nomadland; the 3 acts were there but the viewer is left to determine the conflicts and the ending was not neat or clean. Clint Eastwood is incredibly good at telling a great "small" story where (if you're unaware of how much time is left in the movie like in a cinema) you're not sure if you're near the end of the feature.

A companion complaint is this. When you do have your classic 3 act set up, the end is often needlessly ambiguous; almost as if the film maker is trying to trick you with a plot twist that doesn't make a lot of sense.
Sure, when every movie is making women look good and men look bad (or many of them, and a rise in that lately) -- I can't help but think there is some sort of agenda there (maybe/maybe not political)

Saw that too. What did you think of Ben Affleck in that movie! I could not get used to him in that role, and with blonde hair!
My wife had to point him out.
He looked totally different.
Matt Damon was sporting one hell of a mullet though.
I liked how they did the three "truths".

Hmm Bluegin won't like like this, but, not really into Marvel, DC, Superhero stuff. Market is too saturated with it.
I don't watch that stuff either, I was coerced into watching spiderman , like I said it was a great movie, the doctor strange or what ever his name was , real good

I don't watch that stuff either, I was coerced into watching spiderman , like I said it was a great movie, the doctor strange or what ever his name was , real good
I was never a big comic book fan, but I like the Avengers story line, and I was totally entertained by The Guardians of The Galaxy. There is some pretty good humor in some of those movies. Lots of cool gadgets and action.

The DC series of movies I don't really care for and the latest Suicide Squad was horrible. An overwhelmingly violent movie strangely geared to adolescents.

Sure, when every movie is making women look good and men look bad (or many of them, and a rise in that lately) -- I can't help but think there is some sort of agenda there (maybe/maybe not political)

Maybe it is; maybe it isn't. True.

Well. Tom Hanks has never had a problem looking good. Neither has Jimmy Fallon. Neither has Tim Allen. Neither has Rob Lowe. Neither has Steve Carrell. Neither has Dwayne Johnson. Neither has Idris Elba. Neither has Chris Pratt. Neither has Robert Downey. Neither has Adam Driver. Neither has any number of other actors. All of the above have made movies in the last year or so. Movies that did very well. That there are other vehicles where women look "good" and men look bad...isn't really that much of a threat. Hell, when I was growing up, there was a movie called First Wives Club....30 years ago. Before that hell Funny Girl was Babs looking good and Omar Sharif/Walter Pidgeon looking suspect and literally criminal. There are more.... Just like there are more animated features. Its the market. I doubt it's an agenda.....other than an agenda that makes money.

Maybe it is; maybe it isn't. True.

Well. Tom Hanks has never had a problem looking good. Neither has Jimmy Fallon. Neither has Tim Allen. Neither has Rob Lowe. Neither has Steve Carrell. Neither has Dwayne Johnson. Neither has Idris Elba. Neither has Chris Pratt. Neither has Robert Downey. Neither has Adam Driver. Neither has any number of other actors. All of the above have made movies in the last year or so. Movies that did very well. That there are other vehicles where women look "good" and men look bad...isn't really that much of a threat. Hell, when I was growing up, there was a movie called First Wives Club....30 years ago. Before that hell Funny Girl was Babs looking good and Omar Sharif/Walter Pidgeon looking suspect and literally criminal. There are more.... Just like there are more animated features. Its the market. I doubt it's an agenda.....other than an agenda that makes money.
True, they may just be capitalizing on whatever is trending (politically or otherwise)..... the object is to make money

What are your thoughts on current movies (movies made in 2020, 2021 and 2022)...?

Why must there be a political agenda in all movies? Or is it me? Can't a movie just be about reality, and not some propaganda of what people feel 'should be'?
I haven't been to a movie theater since late 2012 and so I can't really say much about the more recently made films. There are plenty of popular films that I have never once watched due to one reason or another. If the new stuff really is loaded with certain content, thank you for letting me know what I am not missing.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I haven't been to a movie theater since late 2012 and so I can't really say much about the more recently made films. There are plenty of popular films that I have never once watched due to one reason or another. If the new stuff really is loaded with certain content, thank you for letting me know what I am not missing.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Well, movies are not the "be all end all" to life for sure. They can be entertaining and I view them as an art form or also a way to see into the minds of the creators

^^^ I agree, but yeah, I won't sit down and watch just any film. For me, depends on who is in it, what it is about, and the rating. Films that are filled with R-rated content have never been my most favorite.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

What are your thoughts on current movies (movies made in 2020, 2021 and 2022)...?

Why must there be a political agenda in all movies? Or is it me? Can't a movie just be about reality, and not some propaganda of what people feel 'should be'?
Because what sells movies is not reality. People go to movies to escape from reality.

In regard to propaganda, conservatives see most of the same motives that liberals see. You would think movies about social injustice which is almost always a liberal cause would send conservatives running but it doesn't. They may complain about liberal propaganda but they still watch them. The same is pretty muchly true of liberals. Cop shows and movies that are clearly strongly supportive of law enforcement can attract large audiences of liberals. I think the reason for this is that very few conservatives or liberals actually fit the stereotype. I watch the TV show Blue Bloods which takes a conservative view of law enforcement. Why because it's entertaining.

The bottom line is that people watch movies to be entertained regardless of any pollical message.

Last edited:
Unforgivable,
I haven't been to the movies either, but we watch some of the new releases (that seem interesting) at home on the Roku. I'm a woman and even I get tired of so many movies making men look like idiots, jerks etc. but all the women are smart and amazing. That seems to be the most common thread in recent movies (or putting a woman in a man's role... ????)
A lot of people must like them or they would not be making them.

There is always a big market for productions of people overcoming the odds and succeed, battered wives, mentally disabled, physically disabled, abused children, etc.
Maids, a series on Netflix about a battered wife who takes her young child and leaves her husband with no money, no assets, no job, and no future who succeeds. Actually, it's a pretty good series. I think these productions do well because there is always an audience that wants to cheer for underdog and see him or her succeed.

New Topics

Forum List

Back