Crime drops in Colorado.... It's all about drugs

frigidweirdo

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2014
American state legalises marijuana 8211 and crime drops 15 Metro News

"Anti-marijuana activists have warned that legalising weed would lead to increased drug addiction, mental problems and crime – but in Colorado, which legalised recreational use of marijuana, the opposite has happened."

"Overall, crime has fallen by 15% and murder has dropped by 50%."

"Sexual assaults and car crime have fallen, and violent crime is down 10% overall."

"Anti-marijuana activists have warned that legalising weed would lead to increased drug addiction, mental problems and crime – but in Colorado, which legalised recreational use of marijuana, the opposite has happened."

"Sexual assaults and car crime have fallen, and violent crime is down 10% overall."

The demonization of marijuana is proving to be false on all counts. It is not a "gateway drug". It doesn't cause mental illness. It is not addictive. It should not be an FDA schedule 1 drug.

Essentially it is less harmful than alcohol in many respects.

lol, you believe that I've got some swamp land to sell

Probably the fact it's WINTER might have something to do with it.

Two different issues. "Over all crime" and "marijuana use" not the same thing. Very misleading. Why is that?

Keep the people too drugged up to do anything. It will be peaceful.
People are going to do drugs if they are illegal or not. Oxycontin, Lortabs,Xanax, Anti-depressives, etc. make pot look like nothing. If I were looking for a conspiracy to keep people doped up and dumbed down I would not concentrate on stoner-hippies, I would look at the real drug lords of the world.

It's not about belief, it's a scientific fact. All the fear mongering is based on bullshit.

right, like all those pot heads can AFFORD that high price weed the State is pushing.
from what I've heard it's cheaper to buy it on the streets. but what do I care. Moved from Colorado back in the 80's

It's not about belief, it's a scientific fact. All the fear mongering is based on bullshit.

right, like all those pot heads can AFFORD that high price weed the State is pushing.
from what I've heard it's cheaper to buy it on the streets. but what do I care. Moved from Colorado back in the 80's

It's definitely more expensive than paint thinner right Steph?

I'm all for legalization of drugs, and I was hoping to get information eventually on crime stats in Colorado. I can't really use this article because it's deceiving. What does marihuana use have to do with some of those crimes? I can understand if there were fewer arrests, fewer people in jail, etc., but there has to be a connection from murders to marihuana use. Otherwise its a misleading and irrelevant statistic.

3e8ef22706b7fba9c5bc30c4318d9de4956649b0b2bf3469854f4f8219941c9b.jpg

Two different issues. "Over all crime" and "marijuana use" not the same thing. Very misleading. Why is that?

The common argument against legalization is that it would cause a high increase in crime. It's "still" a very common argument if you look around Heritage Foundation and other right wing think tanks. Colorado is plainly showing this not to be the case.

The common argument against legalization is that it would cause a high increase in crime. It's "still" a very common argument if you look around Heritage Foundation and other right wing think tanks. Colorado is plainly showing this not to be the case.

Right, because ONE article claims it then by golly it must be true. and how nice you turned in to a right left ordeal

Violent crime is down around 10% throughout the US. How about drug addiction and mental illness?

Right, because ONE article claims it then by golly it must be true. and how nice you turned in to a right left ordeal

Those facts come from a study and they correlate to similar findings nationwide.

According to data from the Denver Police Department, violent crime (including homicide, sexual assault, robbery, and aggravated assault) fell by 6.9% in the first quarter of 2014, compared with the same period in 2013. Property crime (including burglary, larceny, auto theft, theft from motor vehicle and arson) dropped by 11.1%.

A study looking at the legalization of medical marijuana nationwide, published late last month in the journalPLOS ONE, found that the trend holds: Not only does medical marijuana legalization not correlate with an uptick in crime, researchers from the University of Texas at Dallas argue it may actually reduce it.

Study Marijuana legalization doesn t increase crime MSNBC

I'm all for legalization of drugs, and I was hoping to get information eventually on crime stats in Colorado. I can't really use this article because it's deceiving. What does marihuana use have to do with some of those crimes? I can understand if there were fewer arrests, fewer people in jail, etc., but there has to be a connection from murders to marihuana use. Otherwise its a misleading and irrelevant statistic.
I was wondering about the cause and effect here too. The drop in crime rate is sudden and substantial so there has to be a link. Maybe lower alcohol consumption among the group most likely to commit crime?

Ignoring the moral issues, does anyone have an investment in pot companies...I am holding a few shares of phot ....waiting for the next hysterical activity to the upside.

Forum List

Back