Cover songs that in your opinion are better than the original

I Drove All Night

Okay, so Roy Orbison recorded this first, however Cyndi Lauper's cover was released as a single first, then Orbison's came afterward as a single. So technically the anti-thesis to this thread, but I'll include it anyway with a release date loophole ;-)

Cyndi Lauper

Roy Orbison

Crazy Mary

Similar to "I Drove All Night" at post #221, Pearl Jam's cover came out first, then Victoria William version was released. I like both about equally, depending on my mood, and you'll hear Victoria on the Pearl Jam version...

Victoria Williams

Pearl Jam

As Tears Go By

Written by The Rolling Stones but first recorded by...

Marianne Faithfull

Then The Rolling Stones recorded their own version

So not a true cover, per se. But a good excuse to play both tunes here. :)

I love to hear the late beautiful precious sing this song SO much!!!

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

P.S. It was done first by an act named The Manhattans.

The original song was done by Bonnie Dobson. Tim Rose ripped it off and claimed it as his own. many artists have done versions of this. The most famous is the Grateful Dead's. IMHO the Allman Brothers version is the best the Garcia's is great

local guys from my hometown have done an awesome cover of the Grateful Dead version for their compilation DAY OF THE DEAD.

Here is the "original" GD version

and then the latest (and one of the best covers of it)

and now Bryce and Aaron's cover

The original song was done by Bonnie Dobson. Tim Rose ripped it off and claimed it as his own. many artists have done versions of this. The most famous is the Grateful Dead's. IMHO the Allman Brothers version is the best the Garcia's is great

local guys from my hometown have done an awesome cover of the Grateful Dead version for their compilation DAY OF THE DEAD.

Here is the "original" GD version

and then the latest (and one of the best covers of it)

and now Bryce and Aaron's cover

:)

I don't know if the cover is better but its very different and interesting. The original is one of the truly great acoustic tunes in rock history by one of the real guitar masters in US rock

the electric version from Widespread Panic

New Topics

Forum List

Back