Could you be friends with people you disagree politically?

Can you be friends with people you disagree with?

• Yes

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • If they are in my Overton Window

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters
I can be friends with people who are in my Overton Window. That window is rather wide and broad. I am grateful to many people I disagree with.

I can not be a friend to someone (almost always Progressive) who thinks I should be cancelled for my views.

Have to be able to do that nowadays with families split and polarized. My brother hung up on me 18 months ago after HE started whining about Covid and how "Trump was killing people" and all I squeaked out was "He was paying attention and put travel restrictions on while ALL OF YOUR HEROES were knee-deep in impeaching him". And he swore a bit and hung up -- haven't talked since. Although I'm REAL tempted to crank call him at 3AM with a Let's Go Brandon chant.

Moral of that story is -- dont talk politics in ANY way -- and you can get along fabulously.. Even if they KNOW you're their mortal enemy.. :auiqs.jpg:

Have to be able to do that nowadays with families split and polarized. My brother hung up on me 18 months ago after HE started whining about Covid and how "Trump was killing people" and all I squeaked out was "He was paying attention and put travel restrictions on while ALL OF YOUR HEROES were knee-deep in impeaching him". And he swore a bit and hung up -- haven't talked since. Although I'm REAL tempted to crank call him at 3AM with a Let's Go Brandon chant.

Moral of that story is -- dont talk politics in ANY way -- and you can get along fabulously.. Even if they KNOW you're their mortal enemy
I also avoid talking about many issues with my parents and acquaintances.

My significant other is a leftist and even though I've always been an independent voter, I tend to be more like a progressive republican. My favorite president has always been Theodore Roosevelt. The conservatives weren't fans of him. Anyway, we get along fine and do keep the political discussions brief.
As for people being friends if they are on the opposite side politically, if you can remain friends with them, consider them "true" friends, whereas, if you considered people who claimed to be your friends, but turned away from you once they knew you didn't side with them politically, they were never really your friends, only people claiming to be.

My significant other is a leftist and even though I've always been an independent voter, I tend to be more like a progressive republican. My favorite president has always been Theodore Roosevelt. The conservatives weren't fans of him. Anyway, we get along fine and do keep the political discussions brief.
As for people being friends if they are on the opposite side politically, if you can remain friends with them, consider them "true" friends, whereas, if you considered people who claimed to be your friends, but turned away from you once they knew you didn't side with them politically, they were never really your friends, only people claiming to be.

Makes it easier if they trust you talking about other stuff like Religion or the other "Thanksgiving table" no-noes. Then you can sneak in a short little bit on Global Warming and sneek up on the politics gently. :biggrin:

Just make sure you're COLD SOBER if you try those moves, so you can bail INSTANTLY... It's REALLY tricky these days. Just mentioning what you paid for a corned beef can be interpreted as a political discussion.

Makes it easier if they trust you talking about other stuff like Religion or the other "Thanksgiving table" no-noes. Then you can sneak in a short little bit on Global Warming and sneek up on the politics gently. :biggrin:

Just make sure you're COLD SOBER if you try those moves, so you can bail INSTANTLY...
Yeah. No problem discussing religion with her. She's Buddhist and I'm an Atheist. When we met, she was anti-gun and afraid of them. Once I taught her about firearms safety, storage and took her to the range a few times. She not only enjoyed herself, but also wanted to blow something up. I've since had to temper her enthusiasm to an acceptable level.

Just make sure you're COLD SOBER if you try those moves, so you can bail INSTANTLY... It's REALLY tricky these days. Just mentioning what you paid for a corned beef can be interpreted as a political discussion.
Did you say global warming you cocksu...

Even here I respect many of my opponents.

I can never respect Progressive proponents of Cancel Culture -- they are Enemies of Freedom.

I can be friends with people who are in my Overton Window. That window is rather wide and broad. I am grateful to many people I disagree with.

I can not be a friend to someone (almost always Progressive) who thinks I should be cancelled for my views.
I have friends I disagree with politically. Vehemently even. Political affiliation is just a small part of most people's personality.

As to people wanting to "cancel you" for your views. Do you have a personal example or is this just a private fear?

I have to say though that in my experience " cancelling" someone is somewhat of a broad term by people on the right. Everything from actually boycotting something or someone to people expressing a political disagreement. It would therefore be helpful if you would be willing to clarify the term?

I have friends I disagree with politically. Vehemently even. Political affiliation is just a small part of most people's personality.

As to people wanting to "cancel you" for your views. Do you have a personal example or is this just a private fear?

I have to say though that in my experience " cancelling" someone is somewhat of a broad term by people on the right. Everything from actually boycotting something or someone to people expressing a political disagreement. It would therefore be helpful if you would be willing to clarify the term?
By cancelling I mean destroying a person's career.

Ok, so you contend that someone is free to express any political opinion without it affecting their professional life?

What if that opinion calls for people to act in a violent way?

What if the expression of that opinion is at odds with the terms of employment?

What if that expression actually hurts the employers bottom line?

I'm not trying to trap you in any way, just pointing out that words can and do have real life consequences.

And before you try to claim it. No, I'm not against freedom of speech. But I do consider acting in certain ways against speech you disagree with as also covered under the same concept.

I will also add that the world would probably be less polarised if people would stop taking offence so easily.

Ok, so you contend that someone is free to express any political opinion without it affecting their professional life?

What if that opinion calls for people to act in a violent way?

What if the expression of that opinion is at odds with the terms of employment?

What if that expression actually hurts the employers bottom line?

I'm not trying to trap you in any way, just pointing out that words can and do have real life consequences.

And before you try to claim it. No, I'm not against freedom of speech. But I do consider acting in certain ways against speech you disagree with as also covered under the same concept.

I will also add that the world would probably be less polarised if people would stop taking offence so easily.
I would not say that 100% of those who lost their careers for disagreeing with Progressives are innocent, but 90% are. Many people lose their careers not for Hate Speech but for moderate views which Progressives find offensive.

Hopefully more Conservatives and Independents will boycott businesses which employ Progressives.

I don't think there are variations in, or personal versions of, Overton.

And the window is VERY narrow, and becoming ever narrower.

Forum List

Back