Could we claim illegal discrimination at a gay bar?

It is flat out illegal for a bar to refuse service to a heterosexual couple. What is on more shaky legal ground, however, are ladies nights. Once can make the argument that differential pricing on the basis of gender is illegal.

In many states a "ladies night" does count as illegal discrimination. Under federal law, protections are fairly weak, and do little more than provide for court remedy when state governments engage in discrimination. Thus, federally based challenges have failed. Some states find no discrimination.

One dive I used to frequent years ago had come up with a pretty good alternative. Tuesday was ladies night, but Wed was gentlemen's night.

Could I sue for damages a gay bar that refused to let heterosexuals in? We already are Suing bakeries who won't bake cakes for someone.

Gay bars don't refuse service to heterosexuals. Just don't be offended if you get hit on by someone of the same sex if you decide to go to one at some point.

It is flat out illegal for a bar to refuse service to a heterosexual couple. What is on more shaky legal ground, however, are ladies nights. Once can make the argument that differential pricing on the basis of gender is illegal.

That depends entirely upon local law.

In Florida a bar could refuse service to gays or straights.

In Oregon a bar would be prevented by law for refusing service to either based upon their sexual orientation.

I think the whole ladies night thing has gone to courts before, but I can't remember the outcome.

I've never heard of a gay bar refusing someone in because of their sexual orientation. Gay bars get a lot of straight people in their bars.
That may be true, or not, but isn't the point. It's a hypothetical question given recent rulings. Should they be allowed to refuse a man/woman couple?
On their sexual orientation. No. If the person went in to deliberately hassle or proselytize the customers it would be up to the local laws and the owner.

Could I sue for damages a gay bar that refused to let heterosexuals in? We already are Suing bakeries who won't bake cakes for someone.

I've been to a few gay bars. They don't care. But be prepared for advances!

What would happen if the OP walked into a gay bar?

"Norm!"- where everyone knows his name....
images

In Oregon a bar would be prevented by law for refusing service to either based upon their sexual orientation.

I think the whole ladies night thing has gone to courts before, but I can't remember the outcome.
Based on recent SC decisions, any right to refuse service to gay couples is gone. It would take only one court case to get it shot down.

Based on recent SC decisions, any right to refuse service to gay couples is gone. It would take only one court case to get it shot down.

There haven't been any SCOTUS cases on PA laws that protect gays. The SCOTUS refused to hear the Elaine Photography case leaving the lower court ruling in place. (Which was that discrimination occurred)

This is the new twist on the majority being "the victim". Its a remix of "Why cant I say the N word but blacks can?"

We feel your pain bro

I want to run A Christian bar that way I can serve underage kids wine because it's my freedom of religion.

I've never heard of a gay bar refusing someone in because of their sexual orientation. Gay bars get a lot of straight people in their bars.
That may be true, or not, but isn't the point. It's a hypothetical question given recent rulings. Should they be allowed to refuse a man/woman couple?

In some states they could, in some they could not...based on sexual orientation. If the couple claimed the discrimination was based on, say their religion....it would be illegal in all 50.

I've never heard of a gay bar that discriminated against hetero's, only homophobes.

It is a hypothetical situation. What happens if so many normal people attend one of these bars that it drives away the homos. The bar owner then enacts a policy that bans straights. Would we be able to sue?

The dumb question. The obvious answer is that you cannot discriminate on sexual orientation that includes straight too.

In some places, straight women will sometimes go to gay bars that have a dance floor so that they can relax and dance and have a good time without being harassed by drunken mouth-breathing straight men.

In some places, straight women will sometimes go to gay bars that have a dance floor so that they can relax and dance and have a good time without being harassed by drunken mouth-breathing straight men.

Actually, they go to gay bars with dance floors so they can grind, grope, and be groped by men while claiming it's not sexual because "Oh, he's gay, that was just how we dance as friends" :lol:

They have a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy

Just whistle show tunes as you walk in and nobody will bother you

Why would they?
Why wouldn't homosexuals get their cake where is was welcomed business? I can't answer for either scenario.

Forum List

Back