Could we claim illegal discrimination at a gay bar?

Could I sue for damages a gay bar that refused to let heterosexuals in? We already are Suing bakeries who won't bake cakes for someone.
I've never heard of a gay bar that discriminated against hetero's, only homophobes.

It is a hypothetical situation. What happens if so many normal people attend one of these bars that it drives away the homos. The bar owner then enacts a policy that bans straights. Would we be able to sue?

What happens if so many black people start attending a bar that it drives away the red neck bigot patrons. The bar owner then enacts a policy that bans African Americans. Would African Americans be able to sue?

Yes. Any other questions.

What if a group of church goers decided to stop into a bar for a drink and it happen to be gay. Lets say the number of church goers was a lot. So much so that their preaching about the unholiness of homosexuality actually started to drive away customers. Could the bar owner deny them service? The answer is NO because it is a public facility and it has to serve everyone just like the people who had to make a cake for some dudes who wanted to get married. I think if I was a member of some church then maybe that is a good way to drive away the gay bars. Just show up to one and tell all the patrons how unholy their lives are and if they get kicked out then they can sue but because the courts are ran by liberals they probably wont get very far. That means their is no such thing as equality under the law for people who the judge in the court system happens to not like. That is the America we live in!

Wrong. Bars can and do view proselytizing on the property as harassing, disruptive behavior, and they can and do ask you to leave, quite firmly. Doesn't even really matter what the topic is. If you're annoying other patrons, your business can be dispensed with.

It's not like it's uncommon for someone to get a few drinks in him and start holding forth on something that makes everyone else want to stuff him in the toilet. Pretty sure you can't sue for being 86ed by a bar for being an ass.

You do remember the hoopla around the baker that didn't want to be dragged into a gay wedding, right?

Someone was forced to attend a gay couple's wedding? When did this happen? :wtf:
"Dragged into" and "attend" can be different things. A catered event normally means that the caterer is physically present. Is that the same as attending the event?
If he got "dragged into" it, would go for the sheer entertainment value. Especially if he were kicking and screaming.

Could I sue for damages a gay bar that refused to let heterosexuals in? We already are Suing bakeries who won't bake cakes for someone.

No one stands at the door of a gay bar deciding who is gay or not before they go in.

I've been to a couple of gay bars and I'm heterosexual. I went to a female gay bar with a friend and I went to a male gay bar once with a friend.

It was no big deal I went in, had some drinks. Talked with people there and had a good time.

So your question is stupid and would never happen.

Just say you're gay, and then you can get in.

What about ugly people not allowed into certain establishments? Or people not wearing the right clothes?

If it is illegal the. We can sue.

Then sue but it's never going to happen.

The owners of that bar want you to spend your money in their establishment. They don't give a damn what your sexual orientation is.

You do remember the hoopla around the baker that didn't want to be dragged into a gay wedding, right?

Someone was forced to attend a gay couple's wedding? When did this happen? :wtf:
"Dragged into" and "attend" can be different things. A catered event normally means that the caterer is physically present. Is that the same as attending the event?

Please tell me what baker attended any wedding.

All they do is drop off the cake and leave. Many bakers don't even do that, you have to go pick up the cake yourself.

Making a cake and dropping it off at a wedding isn't attending the wedding.

I'm a professional photographer. I have photographed countless weddings through the years. I have never, ever seen the caterer stay at the wedding nor have I seen the baker attend the wedding. The most they do is drop off the food and later come back for the left overs, dishes and equipment.

A baker isn't a caterer.

Stop lying.

If he got "dragged into" it, would go for the sheer entertainment value. Especially if he were kicking and screaming.
I maintain that the best way around the entire mess is to simply say to the gay couple, "We would be glad to cater your wedding. Here are all the patterns for table cloths and napkins that we have available. Please note the Bible verses included in each design. Our staff uniforms also are emblazoned with the same verses."

All they do is drop off the cake and leave. Many bakers don't even do that, you have to go pick up the cake yourself.

I'm a professional photographer. I have photographed countless weddings through the years. I have never, ever seen the caterer stay at the wedding nor have I seen the baker attend the wedding. The most they do is drop off the food and later come back for the left overs, dishes and equipment.

A baker isn't a caterer.

Stop lying.
Some caterers do, some don't. My wife has catered weddings and has stayed through the whole event. It depends on what the bride and groom want.

Whom do you suppose brings guests their dishes and refills glasses? This of course assumes that the reception is considered part of the wedding.

No. The caterer is there in a professional capacity. No one's asking him to bear witness.

Would this same caterer interrogate all of his potential customers? ("Are you divorced? Are you living in sin? Are you both virgins?") Of course not.

A little common sense and these situations wouldn't exist. Some people just need to create drama.

I guess that 40% of the people that go to gay bars are straight.

A baker isn't a caterer.

Stop lying.
Some caterers do, some don't. My wife has catered weddings and has stayed through the whole event. It depends on what the bride and groom want.

Whom do you suppose brings guests their dishes and refills glasses? This of course assumes that the reception is considered part of the wedding.

I think the people who keep going on about this assume that buying a wedding cake is like just buying a big sheet cake for a birthday or something. Typically, wedding cakes are rather elaborate affairs, which are often transported to the reception site in pieces and assembled there. They aren't just handing you a box with a big rectangular cake in it.

I don't think it matters, anyway. If I don't want to have anything to do with someone's wedding, I shouldn't have to have anything to do with their wedding.

No. The caterer is there in a professional capacity. No one's asking him to bear witness.

Would this same caterer interrogate all of his potential customers? ("Are you divorced? Are you living in sin? Are you both virgins?") Of course not.

A little common sense and these situations wouldn't exist. Some people just need to create drama.

It doesn't matter WHY the person is there. If they don't want to be, you have no business allotting yourself the right to MAKE him be there.

As to "some people just need to create drama", that's a perfect description of gay couples pitching a big hissy fit to drive someone out of business instead of just going to another baker.

Or more, depending on the bar. Let's face it, gay people just aren't that big a percentage of the population. A bar owner wants a really profitable business, he's going to have to appeal not only to gay people, but to gay-adjacent people.

Or more, depending on the bar. Let's face it, gay people just aren't that big a percentage of the population. A bar owner wants a really profitable business, he's going to have to appeal not only to gay people, but to gay-adjacent people.

I've only been to one bar where only gay men were allowed to enter and it was fucking creepy. Yikes! lol

Just say you're gay, and then you can get in.

What about ugly people not allowed into certain establishments? Or people not wearing the right clothes?

Ah.. so you want a person to deny their sexuality as heterosexual person?

If you're going to a gay bar, you probably wouldn't care anyway. If you have a problem with gay people, why go to a gay bar?

The reality is that gay bars are places where gay people can feel comfortable. So they only want people who are okay with gay people.

Saying that I worked in a golf club that was exclusive only for very rich Jewish people. Other people could go, I'm not Jewish but could work there, most of the staff were Hispanic, and the Jewish members of the club could bring their friends or business associates along to play golf, to eat, whatever. Does anyone have a problem? No.

It doesn't matter WHY the person is there. If they don't want to be, you have no business allotting yourself the right to MAKE him be there.

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where any couple, gay or straight, would force a caterer at gunpoint to cater their wedding. Well, maybe Vito Corleone, but...

Forum List

Back