Could Trump actually beat Hillary in a debate?

I have to admit that Clinton has done a very good job debating so far.

But....her success has not been due to substance. Sanders beats her on substance. Clinton is succeeding with style, which isn't much different than Trump. The main difference is that Clinton is better at selling style. Clinton has demonstrated a strong propensity to avoid direct answers to difficult questions and to re-divert to more amicable waters. The reason this has been successful is because she doesn't employ 100% avoidance. She gives a superficial acknowledgement of the question at hand before diverting or re-diverting into saying more feel good prepared statements.

All in all, Clinton is just as much reliant on fluff and populist pandering as Trump is. She avoids dealing with substance. She is very good at maintaining a mature composure, which helps to create the illusion of "looking Presidential." So far, populist pandering has been easily successful among a target audience of Democrats, when debating amongst Democrats. On debating ability alone, she would easily defeat Trump, as she employs the same fundamental strategy, but at a much higher skill level.

However, one should not mistake this to mean that Clinton will be able to successfully debate any Republican, generally speaking, in a general election debate. In a primary debate the goal is to become the favorite Democrat by discussing things that are largely agreed upon by participants and audience members alike. In a general election debate the primary goal is to win over centrists and undecided voters by convincing them that Democratic solutions are superior to Republican solutions. This is a much more formidable task, and one which is poorly suited by Clinton's observed strategy thus far of populist pandering to a receptive audience in a cookie cutter format.

I don't see sanders besting her on substance.

and ultimately, it doesn't matter. sanders can't win. but I do appreciate the right loving him so much.

lol they love him like we love trump ,,,bring him on

But....her success has not been due to substance. Sanders beats her on substance. Clinton is succeeding with style, which isn't much different than Trump. The main difference is that Clinton is better at selling style. Clinton has demonstrated a strong propensity to avoid direct answers to difficult questions and to re-divert to more amicable waters. The reason this has been successful is because she doesn't employ 100% avoidance. She gives a superficial acknowledgement of the question at hand before diverting or re-diverting into saying more feel good prepared statements.

All in all, Clinton is just as much reliant on fluff and populist pandering as Trump is. She avoids dealing with substance. She is very good at maintaining a mature composure, which helps to create the illusion of "looking Presidential." So far, populist pandering has been easily successful among a target audience of Democrats, when debating amongst Democrats. On debating ability alone, she would easily defeat Trump, as she employs the same fundamental strategy, but at a much higher skill level.

However, one should not mistake this to mean that Clinton will be able to successfully debate any Republican, generally speaking, in a general election debate. In a primary debate the goal is to become the favorite Democrat by discussing things that are largely agreed upon by participants and audience members alike. In a general election debate the primary goal is to win over centrists and undecided voters by convincing them that Democratic solutions are superior to Republican solutions. This is a much more formidable task, and one which is poorly suited by Clinton's observed strategy thus far of populist pandering to a receptive audience in a cookie cutter format.

and ultimately, it doesn't matter. sanders can't win. but I do appreciate the right loving him so much.

lol they love him like we love trump ,,,bring him on

exactly

With Trump's comprehensive ignorance of all things government and foreign policy, he'd look like a ridiculous fool after the first few questions.
29vlbg0.jpg

C Clayton Jones is a totally overrated clown who speaks without knowing the facts. I love watching him fail.

Last edited:

I disagree that Sanders can't win, generally speaking. For example, Sanders beats Trump. Pretty sure that Sanders beats Cruz. Sanders has a pretty good shot to be Rubio. However, Sanders loses every time in a three way race with Bloomberg in the picture.

All he ever offers are platitudes with no substance. While I don't agree with Hillary on anything I don't think Trump could best her on substance. She would constantly be able to use one phrase that would keep Trump perpetually in defense mode, "Remember when you said......*insert liberal positions here*"
Sure! He'd be the most awesomest debater ever! You're gonna love it! It's gonna be fantastic! You've never seen anything like it!

Plus, Hillary is fat and old and ugly and stupid and a total idiot!

Who needs substance!

24bizo0.jpg

What are her qualifications? She wouldn't even be here tonight if she hadn't married Bill...

2mmhi4m.jpg

Was that a serious answer? I think she might have hit her head too hard when she fell down that time. Maybe. I don't know...

Trump would lose and lose huge in a 1 on 1 presidential debate. You are going to need a Cruz or Paul to go toe to toe with Hillary and her tag team partner the leftist scum debate moderator.

she'd have made either cruz or paul into mincemeat. I think maybe...maybe..... Christie

LOL you are delusional, to the point medication won't help you are probably looking at electroshock therapy.

All he ever offers are platitudes with no substance. While I don't agree with Hillary on anything I don't think Trump could best her on substance. She would constantly be able to use one phrase that would keep Trump perpetually in defense mode, "Remember when you said......*insert liberal positions here*"

the answer is... no he can't. but that's fine... neither can any of the other GOP'ers.
:booze:

you probably should keep drinking. you're going to be very unhappy come November.

there's still time for you wingers to pick someone who doesn't make the electorate gag.

oh wait.....
Hildabeast makes normal Americans gag, but retarded libs are not normal Americans.

Accusing Trump of being a liberal does not translate to winning a debate. Dr. Carson could beat Hillary in a debate and he isn't exactly the most aggressive republican candidate. Trump has the guts to confront every liberal venue that would have him around and Hillary is afraid to take questions from a friendly media source. Once the dust is settled and if Hillary isn't indicted the gloves will come off and Hillary will have to answer the tough questions and screeching "what difference does it make" isn't going to get her off the hook.

With Trump's comprehensive ignorance of all things government and foreign policy, he'd look like a ridiculous fool after the first few questions.
29vlbg0.jpg

C Clayton Jones is a totally overrated clown who speaks without knowing the facts. I love watching him fail.
The fact is that Trump is indeed comprehensively ignorant of all manner of policy – foreign and domestic:

'Each time that he was pressed to demonstrate some relevant knowledge about a particular part of the world, Trump either evaded the question or complained about “gotcha” questions that he refused to answer. As bad as the interview seemed to be for Trump, the striking thing was how often Hewitt was willing to indulge the candidate’s nonsensical answers. For instance, Trump repeated the obvious lie that the nuclear deal would require the U.S. to defend Iran against an attacker. Instead of correcting or challenging him on this plainly absurd and untrue statement, Hewitt approved of Trump’s ridiculous position.'

Trump’s Ridiculous Foreign Policy

Of course, Trump will just 'hire' people to do his foreign policy thinking for him, or acquire his foreign policy acumen by watching people on TV.

Again, a debate with Clinton would be a disaster for Trump.

29vlbg0.jpg

The fact is that Trump is indeed comprehensively ignorant of all manner of policy – foreign and domestic:

'Each time that he was pressed to demonstrate some relevant knowledge about a particular part of the world, Trump either evaded the question or complained about “gotcha” questions that he refused to answer. As bad as the interview seemed to be for Trump, the striking thing was how often Hewitt was willing to indulge the candidate’s nonsensical answers. For instance, Trump repeated the obvious lie that the nuclear deal would require the U.S. to defend Iran against an attacker. Instead of correcting or challenging him on this plainly absurd and untrue statement, Hewitt approved of Trump’s ridiculous position.'

Trump’s Ridiculous Foreign Policy

Of course, Trump will just 'hire' people to do his foreign policy thinking for him, or acquire his foreign policy acumen by watching people on TV.

Again, a debate with Clinton would be a disaster for Trump.
Didja click on the link in my post? :D

I'd pick Trump to win that debate. He doesn't need to have much knowledge when only saying what people want to hear.
I'll make America great again??? build a wall and make Mexico pay?? you'll never have so many wins ,,,,you'll be sick of winning???? lol lol lol

Donald Trump to the moderator: Hey George, are you ever gonna ask the beast why she is the most hated politician in the country as we speak?

Forum List

Back