Could Ali have resisted Dempsey?

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
Ali was somehow able to take strong blows. Foreman was considered the best puncher, and he beat Ali for a long time, but could not knock him out. In my opinion, this happened due to the fact that American boxing in the 60s and 70s became slow. They hit hard, they lacked punching speed, and speed is crucial for a knockout. Almost all blacks beat the whole mass like a tractor, and they collided rivals, but there were no strong shocks to lose consciousness. Even Tyson was not a very fast boxer.

In my opinion, if Ali met with Dempsey, he would have fallen in the 1st round.

Tyson took a lot from Dempsey, but he was far from Dempsey's art, it's a pathetic parody

• Banned
I tend to think that working on heavy bags is harmful to the boxer. A small bag shows the boxer his speed, but on a heavy bag all the punches seem to be fast. These habits are bad for work on head.

The training and methods used to condition athletes are a lot more advanced than they were back then. Just about any modern professional boxer would destroy Ali.

At his top weight Dempsy was about 185. He was fast on his feet and with his hands. It would have been interesting but I do believe Ali in his prime would have won.

• Banned
The training and methods used to condition athletes are a lot more advanced than they were back then. Just about any modern professional boxer would destroy Ali.
Vice versa. In classic American boxing, there were at least tough punchers, now they are not.
Only clowns are boxing there now. Any alcoholic could lay down Fury and Klitschko, this is a circus

• Banned
Klitschko was bitten by simple cop from South Africa.

At his top weight Dempsy was about 185. He was fast on his feet and with his hands. It would have been interesting but I do believe Ali in his prime would have won.

Dempsey wasn't a very big fellow,but he did kick the crap out of Willard to take the title. WIllard was the size of Wilder and a lot of the other boxers around today. The bigger they are the harder they fall, after all.

Ali was somehow able to take strong blows. Foreman was considered the best puncher, and he beat Ali for a long time, but could not knock him out. In my opinion, this happened due to the fact that American boxing in the 60s and 70s became slow. They hit hard, they lacked punching speed, and speed is crucial for a knockout. Almost all blacks beat the whole mass like a tractor, and they collided rivals, but there were no strong shocks to lose consciousness. Even Tyson was not a very fast boxer.

In my opinion, if Ali met with Dempsey, he would have fallen in the 1st round.

Tyson took a lot from Dempsey, but he was far from Dempsey's art, it's a pathetic parody
..it was said in the fight with Norton that Ali broke his jaw in i think it was the 4th round and went the rest of the 12 rounder and beat Norton in a decision.....Ali would have cut Dempsey up like a piece of meat...

..it was said in the fight with Norton that Ali broke his jaw in i think it was the 4th round and went the rest of the 12 rounder and beat Norton in a decision.....Ali would have cut Dempsey up like a piece of meat...
Ali couldn't cut anyone, he was just viscous as shit. He didn't have a good hit

foreman falling.png

I remember Ali refereeing at the first Wrestlemania- very imposing- cleaned house and kept order with the heel team of Piper, Wonderful and Orton who all flew out of the ring after being hit with the Ali jab. The first Wrestlemania was in 1985, long past Ali's peak and the TV announcer for the event, Governor Jesse The Body Ventura was very impressed by Ali's conditioning even then.

Ali would have toyed with Dempsey for a few rounds and then put him away
Dempsey was giving away 20 lbs and lacked the speed and boxing skill of Ali

Norton won that fight
But Ali would have had no problem with Dempsey

Muhammad Ali called himself "The greatest", the moniker is a nickname, not a historic judgment. I think there is absolutely no chance in hell that Ali could have "rope-a-doped" a prime, young Mike Tyson. No way. Tyson's uppercuts would have connected eventually. Ali had a hell of a chin, and a hell of a will to win. However, if you watch a young Foreman, while he's big, he can't punch like Tyson could. That being said, Tyson's mental struggles caught up with him quick. I'm not saying Tyson has to be considered the greatest of all time. I consider Tyson much like Bo Jackson.. the greatest for a short period of time.

Muhammad Ali called himself "The greatest", the moniker is a nickname, not a historic judgment. I think there is absolutely no chance in hell that Ali could have "rope-a-doped" a prime, young Mike Tyson. No way. Tyson's uppercuts would have connected eventually. Ali had a hell of a chin, and a hell of a will to win. However, if you watch a young Foreman, while he's big, he can't punch like Tyson could.
if shavers,norton and the rest of those guys could not knock out Ali i dont think tyson would have had much of a chance of doing it.....tyson face may hav taken a beating though...

Forum List

Back