Could Ali have resisted Dempsey?

if shavers,norton and the rest of those guys could not knock out Ali i dont think tyson would have had much of a chance of doing it.....tyson face may hav taken a beating though...

We may run into some era distortion here. It's not fair to compare people from old times to new.. because what if the old-timers had access to modern training techniques? And vice versa.

I just know that Ali dropping and rolling as he did would have fed directly into the patented Tyson uppercut that dropped fools. We'll never know. It's probably generational. Tyson's intimidation factor was enough alone... Ali wouldn't have been phased I grant that. But Ali isn't dancing his way from a prime Tyson.

We may run into some era distortion here. It's not fair to compare people from old times to new.. because what if the old-timers had access to modern training techniques? And vice versa.

I just know that Ali dropping and rolling as he did would have fed directly into the patented Tyson uppercut that dropped fools. We'll never know. It's probably generational. Tyson's intimidation factor was enough alone... Ali wouldn't have been phased I grant that. But Ali isn't dancing his way from a prime Tyson.
dont matter, to this day Ernie Shavers is considered by many to be the hardest hitter of all time,even over Tyson,Ali took his best shots,im sure he would survive Tyson....and we know between Ali and Tyson who is faster and the better boxer...

Ali was somehow able to take strong blows. Foreman was considered the best puncher, and he beat Ali for a long time, but could not knock him out. In my opinion, this happened due to the fact that American boxing in the 60s and 70s became slow. They hit hard, they lacked punching speed, and speed is crucial for a knockout. Almost all blacks beat the whole mass like a tractor, and they collided rivals, but there were no strong shocks to lose consciousness. Even Tyson was not a very fast boxer.

In my opinion, if Ali met with Dempsey, he would have fallen in the 1st round.

Tyson took a lot from Dempsey, but he was far from Dempsey's art, it's a pathetic parody

Ali versus Tyson likely would have looked a lot like Dempsys bouts against Gene Tunney...both of which he lost.

Ali versus Tyson likely would have looked a lot like Dempsys bouts against Gene Tunney...both of which he lost.

Everyone loses sometime, idiot(except Marciano, ok). Ali never even won fair. Tyson studied from Dempsey for his art

Everyone loses sometime, idiot(except Marciano, ok). Ali never even won fair. Tyson studied from Dempsey for his art

ROFLMAO! Of course Marciano never lost.

He fought during an era of competition whose collective record consisted of almost as many losses as wins.
Look it up.

As far as which fighters studied whom, Ali closely studied Sugar Ray Robinson, who was widely regarded as the best boxer in history by most credible boxing historians.

ROFLMAO! Of course Marciano never lost.

He fought during an era of competition whose collective record recorded more losses than wins.
Look it up.

As far as which fighters studied whom, Ali closely studied Sugar Ray Robinson, who was widely regarded as the best boxer in history by most credible boxing historians.
Ali did not stadied by anyone, he was simply trained by British coaches. This is typical English stink hole boxing.

Ali did not stadied by anyone, he was simply trained by British coaches. This is typical English stink hole boxing.

Ali studied Robinson very closely. Most boxing experts will tell you that. In fact, he idolized Robinson and even asked him to be his trainer when he turned professional. But Robinson turned him down because he was still a fighter himself at the time.

But Robinson did introduce him to Budini Brown, who was a corner man for Ali for most of his career.

Ali personally referred to Robinson as "The king, the master and my idol"

Alis first trainer as an amatuer was a policeman in Lousville, Kentucky named Joe Martin, and his first pro trainer for a very brief time was Archie Moore, who was an American professional fighter himself. And his trainer for the majority of his professional career was Angelo Dundee, who was a well known and highly regarded American trainer.

I remember talking to you before about Ali and boxing in general and you do not appear to have a fundamental understanding of the sport nor its history.

Alis first trainer as an amatuer was a policeman in Lousville, Kentucky named Joe Martin, and his first pro trainer for a very brief time was Archie Moore, who was an American professional fighter himself. And his trainer for the majority of his professional career was Angelo Dundee, who was also an American.

Why are you making up stories that aren't true?
yea ...i wanna know myself.....

Ali would have destroyed Dempsey

Joe Louis would have been a good fight
Dempsey was a swarmer who came straight at his opponents and threw punches from all angles, plus he was a relatively small heavyweight, who fought at under 200 pounds, he probably would have struggled with Alis size, speed and constant movement. Louis in his prime may have been a challenge.

Dempsey was a swarmer who came straight at his opponents and threw punches from all angles, plus he was a relatively small heavyweight, who fought at under 200 pounds, he probably would have struggled with Alis size, speed and constant movement. Louis in his prime may have been a challenge.
Just look at what he did to Sonny Liston

True. And Sonny was one of the hardest punchers in history, and had one of the best jabs ever. In fact he was George Foremans idol.
I was a kid at the time and remember experts saying Liston would literally kill the loudmouth
Watching the fight as an adult, Liston could not touch him and Clay jabbed at will and hit him with flurries of punches

What I can’t believe is s that Liston was favored in the second fight I don’t see how anyone who saw the first fight could favor Liston

I was a kid at the time and remember experts saying Liston would literally kill the loudmouth
Watching the fight as an adult, Liston could not touch him and Clay jabbed at will and hit him with flurries of punches

What I can’t believe is s that Liston was favored in the second fight I don’t see how anyone who saw the first fight could favor Liston

I was a kid at the time as well. In fact, I got into a fight with the school bully because we were arguing about who would win the first fight between Ali and Liston, he liked Liston, and I believed in Ali.

I've watched both fights numerous times over the years, and what stood out was that Liston was considered to be a very big guy, but when Ali and Liston stood side by side, Ali was actually the bigger man.

I believe a big part of Ali having Listons number, was that Liston was actually afraid of Ali because he was not intimidated by Liston, and Liston was not used to that.
He even said once that "he thought Ali was crazy".

Forum List

Back