Cotton's rigid Conservatism: He doesn't say no when asked about 2024. he does rule out giving ground on immigration, criminal justice, foreign policy

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
my favorite Senator, and writing a book on foreign policy ahead of a presidential campaign

excerpts:

Politicians donā€™t enjoy it, but most change positions at least once in their careers. Then thereā€™s Tom Cotton.

From restricting legal and illegal immigration to hawkish foreign policy to criticizing the nationā€™s ā€œunder-incarcerationā€ of criminals, the Arkansas senator keeps staking out hardline positions in anticipation that fellow Republicans will come to him. As small-government as they come on every issue other than national security, Cotton is a 1980s throwback ā€” mentioning former President Ronald Reagan 10 times in a lengthy interview with POLITICO.

ā€œI have strong opinions ā€¦ And I stick to those views, not till I feel vindicated, until I am vindicated on the facts, as I have been on almost every point,ā€ Cotton said when asked if he feels redeemed by his steadfast views. ā€œItā€™s not a matter of ā€˜I feel vindicated.ā€™ Itā€™s a matter that I have been vindicated.ā€

Cotton doesnā€™t say ā€œnoā€ when asked if heā€™s planning to run for president in 2024. And for a party still reeling from the peripatetic ideology of Donald Trump, Cotton could offer a predictable alternative: He builds few bridges to Democrats and isnā€™t afraid of clobbering Republicans, either.

He talks regularly with Trump but isnā€™t begging for a third campaign from the former president either: ā€œThatā€™s a decision that he will make, as well as everyone else.ā€

Itā€™s an understatement to say Cotton is a polarizing force in American politics. Just ask mild-mannered Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.), who angrily replied to Cottonā€™s criticisms that the Democratic Party is ā€œconciliatoryā€ toward Russia: ā€œThat dog wonā€™t hunt.ā€

ā€œAccusing me and other Democrats wholesale of being soft on Putin and Russia is just wrong. And itā€™s not something he or anybody else ought to be doing,ā€ Shaheen said in an interview. Since their confrontation, she added, ā€œhe hasnā€™t done it to me.ā€

Cotton draws the line at harmonizing with Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.), who says that the ā€œincoherent, incapacitated and confusedā€ Biden should resign.

ā€œJoe Bidenā€™s obviously lost a step. But I think his conduct in American foreign policy over the last 18 months or so has been consistent with his kind of wild swingsā€ on foreign policy, Cotton said.

Cottonā€™s friends say his blunt approach is effective.

ā€œIt plays well any time you can be straightforward and say what you mean and what you believe in when you have the facts. And I would say Tom has facts,ā€ said Sen. Deb Fischer (R-Neb.).

Still, Cotton is more circumspect when it comes to Trump, who infuriated Republicans by moving to withdraw troops from Afghanistan in 2020. Cotton explained that ā€œI had many, many conversations with the former president about a lot of different foreign policy questions. And we usually ended up in the same place.ā€

Cotton worked closely with GOP leader Mitch McConnell to thwart Trumpā€™s plan to overturn the 2020 election in Congress, arguing that ā€œobjecting to certified electoral votes wonā€™t give him a second term.ā€

Cottonā€™s straightforward manner leaves little opacity about his ideology. But heā€™s still capable of surprises, such as his close relationship with the least conservative member of the Senate GOP conference.

ā€œWe disagree, but it doesnā€™t matter. We have mutual respect for the otherā€™s views on issues ,and I really enjoy him,ā€ said Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine). In 2024ā€™s presidential hunt, she added, thereā€™s ā€œNikki Haley, Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, Larry Hogan. Thereā€™s several outstanding candidates. But Tom is on my list.ā€

On the other side of the Republican coin is Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.), who voted to contest Trumpā€™s loss, opposed the $40 billion aid to Ukraine and has proposed more government intervention into the economy. Despite those contrasts between him and Cotton, Hawley said that the Arkansan was the first senator to encourage him to mount a run for Senate. He said the two ā€œnever discussedā€ their disagreement over challenging the 2020 election.

Last year, Hawley, Cotton and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) orchestrated a wide-ranging campaign to hold up many of Bidenā€™s lower-level appointments. There, Cotton showed a rare modicum of flexibility, ultimately relaxing his hold on U.S. marshals and U.S. attorneys in April.

Senate Judiciary Chair Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said that though there have been ā€œchallenges ā€¦ eventually we worked it out.ā€ He warned, however, that Cottonā€™s brand of politics imperils any kind of immigration reform. Cotton recently joined the Judiciary panel, which has oversight power over immigration and border security.

ā€œI believe heā€™s opposed to all forms of immigration. And I certainly hope thatā€™s not the Republican Party position,ā€ Durbin said.

At the moment Cotton has no intention of softening on immigration ā€œat all, especially under current circumstances.ā€ Thatā€™s not to say he couldnā€™t change his mind ā€” if everything goes his way.

ā€œCan I imagine a world where the border is totally secure, labor force participation is high, wages are accelerating, certain industries need more workers? Yes, I can,ā€ Cotton said. ā€œIt just isnā€™t present now. And it hasnā€™t been present for a very long time.ā€

Last edited:
Cotton is very restrictive when it comes to H1-Bs so I might upon him favorably.

• Banned
That's just because big tech has not fattened his PAC coffers yet.
Examine Cotton's record. examine the other candidates. choose the best looking candidate to vote for in 2024...choose wisely on POLICY, POLICY

Forum List

Back