Contractors license : The government is out of hand

Wolfstrike

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2012
Los Angeles
here's the quote from the state of Nevada

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.>>>
You must have at least four years of experience to qualify. Credit for experience is given only for experience at a journeyman level or as a foreman, supervising employee or contractor.

You are required to submit with the application, a minimum of four (4) notarized Reference Certificates (certificates) for each trade qualifier. The references must be completed by a person whom has first hand knowledge of your experience- that is, he or she must have observed the work you have done. Employers, other than the applying company, a supervisor, other journeyman, contractor, union representative, building inspector, architect or engineer should complete the certificates. If you are a self-employed contractor, customers for whom the work was performed can complete the references. Relatives cannot complete the certificates, unless that relative was your employer. References that are not complete or not specific regarding the actual work performed will not be accepted. Any reference determined to be false or misleading may be considered misrepresentation of a material fact, in violation of NRS 624.3013(2). The required reference certificates are on pages 19 – 22.

In addition to the references, a detailed resume’ of your experience must also be provided. Include name, current address, phone number and dates of employment for each employer. Describe in detail the work performed. Specify type(s) of construction projects, trades(s), craft(s), tasks and duties performed. If self-employment is being relied upon to establish any portion of the experience requirement, include on the Resume of Experience form customers for whom you worked, including their complete mailing address and phone number. The Resume of Experience form can be found on page 23 of the application.

Most people read this and think it's not a big deal, but let me tell you the problems.

The ideal way this is set up is , you work for the union mafia for 20 years then when you retire with pension you decide you're going to start you're own business, and you have 20 years worth of buddies that say "Yeah I know that guy" you get your license and everyone's happy.

If that's not the story of your life you can easily hit problems , even with the proper requirements.

If a guy is working for the union and he wants to get a contactors license , just in case, ...he violates the union agreements of doing "side work" and can be dropped. So now he has to make a choice of trying to ask people in the business to vouch for him, and take the chance they might squeal. (the bottom line is these are designed to stop a union member and other employees from applying)

If you want to be a contractor you have to go out into the world where everyone hates your guts and beg them to fill out a reference form. If i'm reading this right, for the state of Nevada, it also has to be notarized. People don't want to do that.

In the state of California they print on the bottom "any false statements is a felony", I don't know if Nevada is the same way.

When I applied for a contractor's license, I sent in an extra reference from my mom. My own mother was afraid to write me a reference after she read the "felony" part, and everything I wanted her to say was completely true. They tossed it anyways. Nevada pre-solved that "loophole" by saying no relatives.

The thing that really pissed me off is, dishonest people who know dishonest people breeze through this step. Dishonest people know the state isn't going to charge them with a felony for filling out a form. Honest people want no part in it. "Oh yeah, he was plumber back in Laos for 15 years! No problem" (and the guy is 18 years old). These state rules practically ensure that dishonest people will be the contractor.

Another small little detail is the state of Nevada says they want detailed dates employment. So what's wrong with that?

People today , in service jobs bounce around from job to job. If you work in the business for a year but were laid off for 2 months, then you only have 10 months experience. To get 5 years experience you need to be on the job probably 7.

The reason why most people want to try to be a contractor, is because they're not getting enough work from their employers.

You ace all the tests but they reject your license due to meaningless requirements, and collect your fees.

-----------------------------------------

The government is slamming the door on the youth of this country. We need serious changes in government

That sounds like a pretty reasonable requirement to me. With all the scam artists and functionally illiterate contractors posing as professionals this is a good measure to stop the not up to code work a lot of these guys do. The good ones will make more money as a result.

That sounds like a pretty reasonable requirement to me. With all the scam artists and functionally illiterate contractors posing as professionals this is a good measure to stop the not up to code work a lot of these guys do. The good ones will make more money as a result.

You only need two things to be a successful general contractor. 1. Know how to bid a job. 2. Have a good contact list of qualified sub contractors. I know guys that have been in the trades for decades that have no clue how to bid a job because they've always worked for people that did it.

You only need two things to be a successful general contractor. 1. Know how to bid a job. 2. Have a good contact list of qualified sub contractors. I know guys that have been in the trades for decades that have no clue how to bid a job because they've always worked for people that did it.
I was once a worker bee. Then I went to contractor status and finally I saw with my own eyes how much money i was being paid in relationship to the company I contracted for. I then cut out the middle man.

I was once a worker bee. Then I went to contractor status and finally I saw with my own eyes how much money i was being paid in relationship to the company I contracted for. I then cut out the middle man.

Doing what?

Doing what?
Engineering. Not construction. However, my uncle owns a roofing company so I have seen what goes on.

You must have at least four years of experience to qualify. Credit for experience is given only for experience at a journeyman level or as a foreman, supervising employee or contractor.

You are required to submit with the application, a minimum of four (4) notarized Reference Certificates (certificates) for each trade qualifier. The references must be completed by a person whom has first hand knowledge of your experience- that is, he or she must have observed the work you have done. Employers, other than the applying company, a supervisor, other journeyman, contractor, union representative, building inspector, architect or engineer should complete the certificates. If you are a self-employed contractor, customers for whom the work was performed can complete the references. Relatives cannot complete the certificates, unless that relative was your employer. References that are not complete or not specific regarding the actual work performed will not be accepted. Any reference determined to be false or misleading may be considered misrepresentation of a material fact, in violation of NRS 624.3013(2). The required reference certificates are on pages 19 – 22.

In addition to the references, a detailed resume’ of your experience must also be provided. Include name, current address, phone number and dates of employment for each employer. Describe in detail the work performed. Specify type(s) of construction projects, trades(s), craft(s), tasks and duties performed. If self-employment is being relied upon to establish any portion of the experience requirement, include on the Resume of Experience form customers for whom you worked, including their complete mailing address and phone number. The Resume of Experience form can be found on page 23 of the application.

Most people read this and think it's not a big deal, but let me tell you the problems.

The ideal way this is set up is , you work for the union mafia for 20 years then when you retire with pension you decide you're going to start you're own business, and you have 20 years worth of buddies that say "Yeah I know that guy" you get your license and everyone's happy.

If that's not the story of your life you can easily hit problems , even with the proper requirements.

If a guy is working for the union and he wants to get a contactors license , just in case, ...he violates the union agreements of doing "side work" and can be dropped. So now he has to make a choice of trying to ask people in the business to vouch for him, and take the chance they might squeal. (the bottom line is these are designed to stop a union member and other employees from applying)

If you want to be a contractor you have to go out into the world where everyone hates your guts and beg them to fill out a reference form. If i'm reading this right, for the state of Nevada, it also has to be notarized. People don't want to do that.

In the state of California they print on the bottom "any false statements is a felony", I don't know if Nevada is the same way.

When I applied for a contractor's license, I sent in an extra reference from my mom. My own mother was afraid to write me a reference after she read the "felony" part, and everything I wanted her to say was completely true. They tossed it anyways. Nevada pre-solved that "loophole" by saying no relatives.

The thing that really pissed me off is, dishonest people who know dishonest people breeze through this step. Dishonest people know the state isn't going to charge them with a felony for filling out a form. Honest people want no part in it. "Oh yeah, he was plumber back in Laos for 15 years! No problem" (and the guy is 18 years old). These state rules practically ensure that dishonest people will be the contractor.

Another small little detail is the state of Nevada says they want detailed dates employment. So what's wrong with that?

People today , in service jobs bounce around from job to job. If you work in the business for a year but were laid off for 2 months, then you only have 10 months experience. To get 5 years experience you need to be on the job probably 7.

The reason why most people want to try to be a contractor, is because they're not getting enough work from their employers.

You ace all the tests but they reject your license due to meaningless requirements, and collect your fees.

The government is slamming the door on the youth of this country. We need serious changes in government

Any contractor is usually licensed by the state they plan to live in and work in, especially in the construction trades. For decades now electricians and plumbers work for 4 years, under an apprenticeship and then are eligible to take a state exam to get a Journeyman's license, and then there are separate requirements to get a Master's electrical license. Education after that consists of every 3 years 12 or more hours of additional schooling and tests to meet new electric codes. Upon completion of this their license is renewed.

This is through-out the construction industry and it's for a good reason. You don't want your home burning down or the roof caving in (after you move in.) So what's your point?

And they love to claim poverty...cant pay ya that much anymore for the job why I didnt make any money on it........or ya gotta sharpen your pencil more to get the privilege to make a whole hundred dollars profit for sheet rocking a whole new house......There are a ton of shysters in the business and I dont think this does anything to weed them out otherwise they wouldnt exist

And they love to claim poverty...cant pay ya that much anymore for the job why I didnt make any money on it........or ya gotta sharpen your pencil more to get the privilege to make a whole hundred dollars profit for sheet rocking a whole new house......There are a ton of shysters in the business and I dont think this does anything to weed them out otherwise they wouldnt exist
Well you need people that will verify the licensing instead of taking the contractor at his word. An honest contractor would insist on being checked out. He/she has everything to gain.

Doing what?
Engineering. Not construction. However, my uncle owns a roofing company so I have seen what goes on.

And I guarantee your uncle would be clueless on how to bid an electrical or HVAC job. He would be just one of the folks on a general contractors contact list.

Doing what?

And I guarantee your uncle would be clueless on how to bid an electrical or HVAC job. He would be just one of the folks on a general contractors contact list.
That makes sense because he doesnt do electrical or HVAC. i doubt he would stop running his company to be on a general contractors list.

"Contractors license : The government is out of hand"

Wrong.

Citizens are at liberty to make themselves as safe as possible from unscrupulous contractors, and enact necessary and proper regulatory measures to ensure only competent professionals are serving the general public, regulatory measures enacted at the behest of the people.

Doing what?

There isn't a state in this nation that does not have licensing requirements for electricians--so whoever's uncle if not licensed would be fined, levied, sued by the customer and any contractor license he did hold, if any, the state or local building department--could yank.

In KC most of the separate municipalities require local licenses. And that is per trade skill. It is absurd and incredibly expensive when combined fiscally.

Any contractor is usually licensed by the state they plan to live in and work in, especially in the construction trades. For decades now electricians and plumbers work for 4 years, under an apprenticeship and then are eligible to take a state exam to get a Journeyman's license, and then there are separate requirements to get a Master's electrical license. Education after that consists of every 3 years 12 or more hours of additional schooling and tests to meet new electric codes. Upon completion of this their license is renewed.

This is through-out the construction industry and it's for a good reason. You don't want your home burning down or the roof caving in (after you move in.) So what's your point?

Really, I built my own house, did everything from the subterranean plumbing to the roof cap, no problems outside of normal maintenance. I wired a friends two story home in CO back in the 70's, of course he told the inspector he did it himself, the inspector complemented him on the work and passed it with no corrections needed. I've never worked as an electrician. It's a govt scam to get all the license fees.

Really, I built my own house, did everything from the subterranean plumbing to the roof cap, no problems outside of normal maintenance. I wired a friends two story home in CO back in the 70's, of course he told the inspector he did it himself, the inspector complemented him on the work and passed it with no corrections needed. I've never worked as an electrician. It's a govt scam to get all the license fees.
Winner winner chicken dinner

Well you need people that will verify the licensing instead of taking the contractor at his word. An honest contractor would insist on being checked out. He/she has everything to gain.
Obviously doesnt happen......one of my customers contractor sold his business in middle of building the guys house to someone who had no experience in luxury house market....it did not go well.....Guy tried to have his license pulled to no avail and only recouped some of his money ...meanwhile he had to gut entire house and start over and firm up the foundation too

Doing what?

There isn't a state in this nation that does not have licensing requirements for electricians--so whoever's uncle if not licensed would be fined, levied, sued by the customer and any contractor license he did hold, if any, the state or local building department--could yank.

Maybe you should learn what a general contractor does, they arrange for and schedule work to be done, very few do any of it themselves.

Forum List

Back