Confederate soldiers becoming U.S. Senators after the civil war

Well I'll add you to the group who really needs some remedial education and reading comprehension. Because you've got it totally wrong. Republicans don't defend Confederate heritage. They defend Confederate HISTORY, a much different thing. The Democrats would erase it from our history but it is part of our history and should be studied and understood in its entirety. (Maybe it's because it is Democrat heritage and you are ashamed of it?)
He needs a complete reeducation

Time to put the breaks on the insurrection bullshit. From the federal government.
In the years following the Civil War, more than 150 Union and Confederate veterans served as United States senators, helping to chart the nation’s course well into the 20th century.

Charles S. Thomas of Colorado was the last Confederate veteran to serve in the Senate. Born in Georgia, he served briefly as a teenager in the Confederate Army. He settled in Denver after the war, where he built a law practice and pursued a Senate career. Following three failed attempts to gain a Senate seat, the 63-year-old Thomas finally became a U.S. senator in 1913, a position he held until 1921. During his years in the Senate, Thomas became known for a rather unconventional habit that marked the arrival of springtime in the Senate Chamber.

Thanks for the interesting story. So he was part of the so called insurrection yet he was able to hold public office. Really interesting.

Well I'll add you to the group who really needs some remedial education and reading comprehension. Because you've got it totally wrong. Republicans don't defend Confederate heritage. They defend Confederate HISTORY, a much different thing. The Democrats would erase it from our history but it is part of our history and should be studied and understood in its entirety. (Maybe it's because it is Democrat heritage and you are ashamed of it?)
I do believe the term "Americans" is wildly tossed around by Democrats. Confederates were as much Americans as Brazil is Americans or Argentina is Americans.

We have established some strange things.
1. Democrats get blamed but just by the Democrats for the Civil war. So they blame themselves.
2. Republicans understand history and wars far better as the above by Foxfyre proves, and we know that ABE invaded states and that is the definition war. When we invaded Germany, we were in a war. But we did not first fire at the Germans since they torpedoed some of our merchant ships on the way to England. As to Sumter, dismissed. The shots hit walls. Walls are not humans. Ergo the South did not start the war.
3. The issue known as slavery is a so what part???? Abe declared his war on the South was never about slavery. And the South had to defend itself or quickly perish. They had a defensive war, not offensive.

Time to put the breaks on the insurrection bullshit. From the federal government.
In the years following the Civil War, more than 150 Union and Confederate veterans served as United States senators, helping to chart the nation’s course well into the 20th century.

Charles S. Thomas of Colorado was the last Confederate veteran to serve in the Senate. Born in Georgia, he served briefly as a teenager in the Confederate Army. He settled in Denver after the war, where he built a law practice and pursued a Senate career. Following three failed attempts to gain a Senate seat, the 63-year-old Thomas finally became a U.S. senator in 1913, a position he held until 1921. During his years in the Senate, Thomas became known for a rather unconventional habit that marked the arrival of springtime in the Senate Chamber.

I don't understand the problem considering the Democrats have survived despite organizing the Confederacy in the first place, and fight for slavery. You don't see Democrats crying to end the party, how come?

I don't understand the problem considering the Democrats have survived despite organizing the Confederacy in the first place, and fight for slavery. You don't see Democrats crying to end the party, how come?
Because they don't give a shit all they want is power and control

I do believe the term "Americans" is wildly tossed around by Democrats. Confederates were as much Americans as Brazil is Americans or Argentina is Americans.

We have established some strange things.
1. Democrats get blamed but just by the Democrats for the Civil war. So they blame themselves.
2. Republicans understand history and wars far better as the above by Foxfyre proves, and we know that ABE invaded states and that is the definition war. When we invaded Germany, we were in a war. But we did not first fire at the Germans since they torpedoed some of our merchant ships on the way to England. As to Sumter, dismissed. The shots hit walls. Walls are not humans. Ergo the South did not start the war.
3. The issue known as slavery is a so what part???? Abe declared his war on the South was never about slavery. And the South had to defend itself or quickly perish. They had a defensive war, not offensive.
Democrats don't blame themselves for slavery, Jim crow, the civil war ECT they blame conservatives

If they were an officer yes they did.
I swore the oath when I was a Recruit in the Army. Before I got to the training base.

At times I regret I was never an officer since I had passed the required tests very well. The day I could have signed up to go to Ft. Benning to be trained to be an officer, I was signing up for Airborne. I later went to the recruitment office at Ft. Ord and the Major was apparently excited for me to sign up. He asked what is your week of training. I told him and he said, you waited too long. By this time your orders to go to ft. Benning are already created. I said well when I get to ft. Benning, i will sign up there. He says no, you can't.You must finish Airborne and at that duty station they will allow you to sign up for OCS. Ah fuck, I was on my way to germany. My CO in Germany said, now you are out of the US and now you have to wait to get a top secret clearance. How long does that take, I said. He said it can be 6 months. Damn!!!! I was not wanting a career. So I became his company clerk and made EM rank pretty fast. At Monterey, CA I had also graduated from the leadership academy and did very well. So the part that cures me of the regret is I would have been an officer and then when Vietnam got hot, probably had to serve there. I enjoyed Germany.

I swore the oath when I was a Recruit in the Army. Before I got to the training base.

At times I regret I was never an officer since I had passed the required tests very well. The day I could have signed up to go to Ft. Benning to be trained to be an officer, I was signing up for Airborne. I later went to the recruitment office at Ft. Ord and the Major was apparently excited for me to sign up. He asked what is your week of training. I told him and he said, you waited too long. By this time your orders to go to ft. Benning are already created. I said well when I get to ft. Benning, i will sign up there. He says no, you can't.You must finish Airborne and at that duty station they will allow you to sign up for OCS. Ah fuck, I was on my way to germany. My CO in Germany said, now you are out of the US and now you have to wait to get a top secret clearance. How long does that take, I said. He said it can be 6 months. Damn!!!! I was not wanting a career. So I became his company clerk and made EM rank pretty fast. At Monterey, CA I had also graduated from the leadership academy and did very well. So the part that cures me of the regret is I would have been an officer and then when Vietnam got hot, probably had to serve there. I enjoyed Germany.
The first oath under the Constitution was approved by Act of Congress 29 September 1789 (Sec. 3, Ch. 25, 1st Congress). It applied to all commissioned officers, noncommissioned officers and privates in the service of the United States.

The first oath under the Constitution was approved by Act of Congress 29 September 1789 (Sec. 3, Ch. 25, 1st Congress). It applied to all commissioned officers, noncommissioned officers and privates in the service of the United States.
Hey, that is good information. Why would they swear the oath? Well the Government and the Congress were all really traitors. They wanted to be sure others would not emulate them.

Yeah, we screwed that up and allowed them back into the union too quickly. They clearly haven't learned their place.

It won't happen next time.

Wrong.
Not letting them back in would have perpetuated the war for no reason.
Remember the north won by illegal war crimes as it was.
Sherman's March to the Sea targeted civilian goods.

They were allowed after Congress passed the Amnesty Act in 1872. The 14th Amendment allowed Congress to remove the 'disability' (ban) on former confederates serving as members of Congress. Presumably, the ban could still be applied in cases of insurrection even today -- but that would apply to candidates for Congressional office, not the former President. Former presidents can be disqualified under Article II (impeachment, conviction, and removal from office) and Article I, Congress' power to disqualify impeached officials.

Wrong.
Not letting them back in would have perpetuated the war for no reason.
Remember the north won by illegal war crimes as it was.
Sherman's March to the Sea targeted civilian goods.
The north commited no such war crimes targeting civilian goods was legal and still is

Forum List

Back