Company giving away my belongings

airplanemechanic

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2014
I wanted to get other people's opinions on this.

As you may know, I was shot 6 times while looking for a trailer on company property back in March. I was immediately rushed to the ER and they managed to save my life. However, I had a brand new truck FULL of my belongings that stayed at the company yard. My dad told the company that I needed a few things out of the truck before we headed back home. They met him at the truck and let him gather a few things and then he left. Upon leaving they told my dad "Don't worry about the rest of his stuff, it will be here when he gets back. The truck isn't going anywhere."

Fast forward to July 19th. I get a call from one of my dispatchers asking how I'm doing and when I'll return. After a while I tell her "Hold onto my truck, I'll be returning as soon as I can!" and she then proceeds to tell me they gave my truck to another driver. Hmm, ok that's not what they told me but it is their truck, so I'm not really that upset about that. My immediate question is "Where is my stuff?" The lady promised my stuff was taken out and cared for. I know these people and I know better than that. It takes me half a day to get everything out of my truck. I know they didn't spend that much time unloading it. Sure enough, I was right.

I call the next morning mad as hell that they did this without letting me know. I ask where my stuff is and they tell me its in a breakroom of one of our buildings. They said they got everything. I said "Oh really, so you disconnected my TV and took it off the mount I made?" They said no, they left my TV in the truck when they gave it to the next driver and said they would replace it when I came back. Ok, so they gave away my TV. I asked "What about my custom gel steering wheel cover?" I had a 60 dollar custom memory gel wheel cover installed. They said "No, we didn't see that." Ok, so you didn't get that either.

So come to find out, they decided because they didn't feel like disconnecting my TV to just give it to the next driver. Needless to say, I was pissed. They NEVER told me they wanted to use the truck and ask if I could have someone come and empty it. I only found out because of the casual chat I had with one of the dispatchers back in July. I then demanded that they replace my items immediately. THEY THEN DECIDED TO PUT STIPULATIONS ON RETURNING MY STUFF. They told me "You will get your stuff when you return." I said bullshit, you gave my stuff away. I want it back now. They said no. Well at the time I was fighting physical therapy and occupational therapy and trying to get into trauma therapy so I didn't have much time to deal with this. So I went quiet until the 3rd week of October.

I then emailed them and told them I would be returning to work the 3rd week of November. They immediately replied "We already told you, your stuff would be returned when you return." I told them NO, I TOLD YOU WHEN I WOULD BE RETURNING. Give me back my stuff or further legal action will be taken. Within 2 minutes I get an email back saying they would be re-purchasing me replacement items for the things they stole. (my words, not theirs. they refuse to call the items that they gave away "stolen")

They told me that "When we replace the TV it will be newer and better than yours so you should be happy." The problem is, that's not what happened. They gave away a full HD 1080p TV with 3 HDMI inputs. They bought me a 720p with 2. I immediately emailed them and stated I would be exchanging this TV for the correct one. Now, I have to deal with driving 50 miles round trip to get the actual TV they stole back, or one with comparable specs.

People on other forums are telling me that the trucking company has no obligation to take care of my stuff while I'm gone. And my argument is, I was shot on their property, yes they do. They must, at the very least, give me a chance to come empty my truck before they issue it to another driver. They cannot just take it upon themselves to "give away my stuff" and then when THEY choose to, replace it. They have no idea if that TV had sentimental value, like my deceased grandfather who died in 2017 giving it to me before he died and asking me to use it in my truck. My grandpa did die in 2017, but he didn't gift me a TV. But THEY DON'T KNOW THAT. All they see is a 32" TV. But it's MY FUCKING TELEVISION.

And since I haven't returned to work yet, I have no idea what else is missing. I had a CB in that truck that was over 200 dollars with a 100 dollar amp connected to it. I doubt seriously they took that out because that would take a while, it was soldered into the truck wiring for a clean installation look. I know with a landlord/tenant situation with an apartment or rent house, if the tenant leaves they must be notified to come get their stuff and then given like 30 days to do so. If the landlord just "puts their stuff at the curb" they can be held financially liable for the value of the missing/damaged/stolen items. Why are people saying that my company can just do what they want with my stuff? I WAS SHOT ON THEIR YARD because of THEIR LACK OF SECURITY. This whole situation IS NOT MY FAULT. It's not like I quit my job and left my truck and belongings for them to deal with. I was hauled off the property in an ambulance with lights and sirens blaring. This was not my choice.

How can a company justify this behavior? Not only did they do it, when I called to complain, other big wigs DEFENDED the behavior!! I was blown away!!

I think with your Dad picking personal belongings up that it met any legal obligation
legally. It sucks, but....it is what it is.
Unless there was something in writing about them holding on to anything, you don't have much.

I think with your Dad picking personal belongings up that it met any legal obligation
legally. It sucks, but....it is what it is.
Unless there was something in writing about them holding on to anything, you don't have much.

They never told me to come get anything. My father told them I needed a few things. They then told us to leave everything, because they would hold onto it. They can't say to leave everything and then give everything away.

If anything, my father going out there showed that my items were not abandoned and that I wanted everything. That should work in my favor. Not against me. They never told my dad "Come empty the truck we need it." I could have arranged to have someone drive to the yard and empty it. Rather than them just give away half my stuff.

Last edited:
I'm just not sure about the 'legal' obligation. Your Dad did pick up some of your things.
You could try and take them to small claims to recover the costs, it's a he said, he said.
That would be your best option, and could work if everyone is honest in the answers.

I'm just not sure about the 'legal' obligation. Your Dad did pick up some of your things.
You could try and take them to small claims to recover the costs, it's a he said, he said.
That would be your best option, and could work if everyone is honest in the answers.

The items were stolen. Theft is criminal, not civil.

Had anyone else gone into my truck and stolen my TV and given it to someone else they would go to jail. Why would my company be immune to this law? Because they own the truck? That doesn't change who owns the TV. Like I said, when you rent an apartment you don't own the property but you own what's in it and the landlord has no right to your stuff unless YOU grant it to them.

They admitted in phone calls that they gave my stuff away. There is no disputing it. They even claimed they would replace it. But then decided to put stipulations on when the items would be returned.

Someone told me that due to the huge WC claim I have against them, they are just making my life miserable because I ruined their safety record and thus their WC insurance premiums went through the roof. Possibly even trying to get me to leave the company, at that point the case would end and all benefits would cease immediately.

Last edited:

As you may know, I was shot 6 times while looking for a trailer on company property back in March. I was immediately rushed to the ER and they managed to save my life. However, I had a brand new truck FULL of my belongings that stayed at the company yard. My dad told the company that I needed a few things out of the truck before we headed back home. They met him at the truck and let him gather a few things and then he left. Upon leaving they told my dad "Don't worry about the rest of his stuff, it will be here when he gets back. The truck isn't going anywhere."

Fast forward to July 19th. I get a call from one of my dispatchers asking how I'm doing and when I'll return. After a while I tell her "Hold onto my truck, I'll be returning as soon as I can!" and she then proceeds to tell me they gave my truck to another driver. Hmm, ok that's not what they told me but it is their truck, so I'm not really that upset about that. My immediate question is "Where is my stuff?" The lady promised my stuff was taken out and cared for. I know these people and I know better than that. It takes me half a day to get everything out of my truck. I know they didn't spend that much time unloading it. Sure enough, I was right.

I call the next morning mad as hell that they did this without letting me know. I ask where my stuff is and they tell me its in a breakroom of one of our buildings. They said they got everything. I said "Oh really, so you disconnected my TV and took it off the mount I made?" They said no, they left my TV in the truck when they gave it to the next driver and said they would replace it when I came back. Ok, so they gave away my TV. I asked "What about my custom gel steering wheel cover?" I had a 60 dollar custom memory gel wheel cover installed. They said "No, we didn't see that." Ok, so you didn't get that either.

So come to find out, they decided because they didn't feel like disconnecting my TV to just give it to the next driver. Needless to say, I was pissed. They NEVER told me they wanted to use the truck and ask if I could have someone come and empty it. I only found out because of the casual chat I had with one of the dispatchers back in July. I then demanded that they replace my items immediately. THEY THEN DECIDED TO PUT STIPULATIONS ON RETURNING MY STUFF. They told me "You will get your stuff when you return." I said bullshit, you gave my stuff away. I want it back now. They said no. Well at the time I was fighting physical therapy and occupational therapy and trying to get into trauma therapy so I didn't have much time to deal with this. So I went quiet until the 3rd week of October.

I then emailed them and told them I would be returning to work the 3rd week of November. They immediately replied "We already told you, your stuff would be returned when you return." I told them NO, I TOLD YOU WHEN I WOULD BE RETURNING. Give me back my stuff or further legal action will be taken. Within 2 minutes I get an email back saying they would be re-purchasing me replacement items for the things they stole. (my words, not theirs. they refuse to call the items that they gave away "stolen")

They told me that "When we replace the TV it will be newer and better than yours so you should be happy." The problem is, that's not what happened. They gave away a full HD 1080p TV with 3 HDMI inputs. They bought me a 720p with 2. I immediately emailed them and stated I would be exchanging this TV for the correct one. Now, I have to deal with driving 50 miles round trip to get the actual TV they stole back, or one with comparable specs.

People on other forums are telling me that the trucking company has no obligation to take care of my stuff while I'm gone. And my argument is, I was shot on their property, yes they do. They must, at the very least, give me a chance to come empty my truck before they issue it to another driver. They cannot just take it upon themselves to "give away my stuff" and then when THEY choose to, replace it. They have no idea if that TV had sentimental value, like my deceased grandfather who died in 2017 giving it to me before he died and asking me to use it in my truck. My grandpa did die in 2017, but he didn't gift me a TV. But THEY DON'T KNOW THAT. All they see is a 32" TV. But it's MY FUCKING TELEVISION.

And since I haven't returned to work yet, I have no idea what else is missing. I had a CB in that truck that was over 200 dollars with a 100 dollar amp connected to it. I doubt seriously they took that out because that would take a while, it was soldered into the truck wiring for a clean installation look. I know with a landlord/tenant situation with an apartment or rent house, if the tenant leaves they must be notified to come get their stuff and then given like 30 days to do so. If the landlord just "puts their stuff at the curb" they can be held financially liable for the value of the missing/damaged/stolen items. Why are people saying that my company can just do what they want with my stuff? I WAS SHOT ON THEIR YARD because of THEIR LACK OF SECURITY. This whole situation IS NOT MY FAULT. It's not like I quit my job and left my truck and belongings for them to deal with. I was hauled off the property in an ambulance with lights and sirens blaring. This was not my choice.

How can a company justify this behavior? Not only did they do it, when I called to complain, other big wigs DEFENDED the behavior!! I was blown away!!
So you voted your entire life to gut worker rights, cut regulations for companies like yours, and cut taxes for companies like yours; and you were almost killed because guns are so readily available all over the country... I can't help but laugh when I read your signature line :laugh:

Good luck getting your stuff back. A union can help you with getting your stuff back, but I'm sure you hate them even more than the company who robbed you even though you were willing to die for them.

Get all of your ducks in a row and all of the evidence, and take it to the police.
Me? I would just want the money to replace what was taken.

I have no desire to have anyone arrested. I just want to know that I could. They've began replacing the items they stole from me.

Don't forget, while I was in rehab from this shooting someone stole my motorcycle from my house. So I have very little patience with people stealing my shit.

Not sure that are what the courts are set up for?

Courts are civil or criminal. I could go either route with this. But like I said, I'm just getting my ducks in a row incase they pull something like this again. I want to know what my legal recourse is.

Sorry for what happened to you! That fucking sucks, man... Glad you are doing ok!
Im not sure about the legality of your situation.. it is their vehicle.. IDK
I will say this : Fuck them. They are fucking assholes. All this happened because they failed to protect their workers. And then treat you like that?!!

Go see the Better Business Bureau.

I had an incident when very young with a Land Lord of a winter rental another girl and I both rented....

To make a long story short, my room mate on the lease as well, skipped town and went to live with her boyfriend, I was in college my first year, and also worked near full time.... Could afford my portion of rent for the place and paid it, but not my room mate's portion so began immediately to find a new room mate, or move in to another college rental....but in the meantime, the landlord, locked me out... ALL my stuff was inside, even my school books. Had to find a rental and roommate quick! I tried to get my stuff back but landlord refused....wanted full rent of roommate too.

I did not know what to do.... Someone suggested going to the BBB. made an appointment.

They said with a lease, the landlord could not lock me or roommate out, even if the full rent was not paid. It was our apt until the lease ended, and there were legal measures the landlord could take to evict or get some money from us, but the Landlord could NOT HOLD MY THINGS hostage nor could the landlord legally change the lock to prevent me from getting in to get every possession I owned, at the time....

The BBB handled it.... They called the landlord and I presumed made the landlord a new legal butt hole, because the landlord contacted me immediately, within 24/7 to unlock the apartment and let me get all my stuff.

Sooooo, maybe they can help you???

Hope you have a full recovery!

Last edited:
Glad you're doing better, guess I missed the back story on this.

On March 18th at about 9pm I was walking my company trailer drop yard with my dog to try to find the trailer I would be hauling out the next morning. I got about 150 feet from my truck and my dog started to poop. I didn't want her pooping in front of the row of trailers where drivers walk so I ran to the back of the trailer row against the fence. It was there that I encountered said negro with his gun who demanded my money. I told him I had none and he patted me down. Then I guess he got pissed that he wasted his time and started shooting me, point blank. I was shot 6 times most likely with a 9mm.

I was able to talk to one of the mechanics who worked that night and actually ran out to his truck and grabbed his own gun after he heard the shots that were fired at me.

Come to find out, this dude was a nephew of one of our drivers. That would explain WHY he was on the property when he really had no business being there. He had been having dinner in the break room with his uncle earlier that evening, and I walked by them while they were eating to go wash my hands after I had some pizza in my truck. Little did I know a half an hour later he would shoot me 6 times.

Also, another mechanic who works there, his roommate was one of the cops who responded that night. He told me that the guy was high on PCP and bath salts. So he probably doesn't even remember shooting me. He said they used a 15000 dollar drone with night vision and infrared to try to find the gun that he got rid of before being caught. They never did find it

Forum List

Back