Colorado River is Declining.

gnarlylove

Dec 6, 2013
Along the Ohio River
A Year of Threats Looms for Western Rivers | Earthjustice

Earthjustice said:
Under the byzantine mechanism that is the Colorado River water supply system, water providers have grown accustomed to taking what they want, when they want. And even though the agreement that underlies the system, the Colorado River Compact, is based on a fundamental mistake—it allocated far more water than is actually available, even before considering what climate change will do to the river’s flows—making these minor changes has required historic and traumatic efforts.

... It is imperative that we remember that the river is more than a sponge that can be wrung dry to meet our municipal, industrial and agricultural needs. The Colorado River is home to endangered species and the linchpin of a complex regional ecosystem supporting irreplaceable wildlife and natural communities. Arising in the mountains of Wyoming and Colorado and cutting across an arid region to the Gulf of California, this river is the lifeblood of its region like no other. The Colorado is also host to numerous recreational and economic opportunities, a vital element of our region, but only as long as it flows.

Yet despite the supply “crisis” that already exists, and the incomparable river at stake, water providers continue work to take more water from the Colorado River.

We need to keep in mind humans are not the only species that needs water. However, actions of some assume what water that is not collected is "wasted" water. This ignorance of biology and ecology needs to be rectified before we engage in short-term solutions to our problems that create greater long term problems. Americans have increasingly lost awareness of our relationship to nature and thus policy-makers are making decisions without proper foresight. Nothing new of course but stuff is going to start blowing up in our face.

Arizona, California, and much of the West are running into water problems and we need to be aware of what's at stake. Our needs are not the only needs that must be met. Indeed, watering our lawns accounts for a significant portion of household water consumption. A pretty lawn is not worth its short-term gain. The sad thing is people think money should buy everything. As long as you throw money at it, you can fix it. This is not generally the best strategy.

Conservation in all sectors looks like an inevitability. But with Americans never having enough, we may face these problems a lot sooner. If only Americans could assess the priorities we could make decisions that helps create a foundation for solutions. In the meantime division is rife. Perhaps critical thought should be essential in the schools to combat strife for the sake of strife. However, informal education through ceaseless advertisement tells us we need more and we listen by buying. Advertising has dastardly effects otherwise well-meaning citizens--it converts them into consumers first and foremost rather than people.

Last edited:
I say we pare back the agriculture industry in this country so much so that they are only able to produce what we need, and outlaw food exports. That should save water.

This year, Colorado has had nothing but floods, and right now they're in the midst of one of the greatest landslide and avalanche threats ever, with high snow packs everywhere, ice has cut 5 to 15 feet in many ravine areas, and spring prospects are disastrous with mud and landslides ahead when it all melts.

Last year, environmentalists were jumping around because it got a little dry. This year is more than making up for last year. I don't see what all the excitement is about, except that an election is coming up, and the rants from last year are still being pinched for a few more votes if those who aren't paying attention to the snowpack of 2013/2014 don't do a little reading instead of listening to funny men hype things up for political assassination of the opposition party.

Politicizing the weather is the stuff of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I say we pare back the agriculture industry in this country so much so that they are only able to produce what we need, and outlaw food exports. That should save water.
Not a completely bad idea. Or we only produce agriculture in states around the Great Lakes. MI is a big agriculture state but I don't think we are even in the top 5, or 10. For sure we aren't in the top 5.

Where do we find the land to produce this produce? Detroit. If 70% of Detroit is bad, maybe we turn 50% of the bad into farm land. That would do away with a lot of high poverty/crime communities and give us a lot of land where we can produce a lot of fruits and veggies and even cows and sheep!

d to keep in mind humans are not the only species that needs water. However, actions of some assume what water that is not collected is "wasted" water. This ignorance of biology and ecology needs to be rectified before we engage in short-term solutions to our problems that create greater long term problems. Americans have increasingly lost awareness of our relationship to nature and thus policy-makers are making decisions without proper foresight. Nothing new of course but stuff is going to start blowing up in our face.

Arizona, California, and much of the West are running into water problems and we need to be aware of what's at stake. Our needs are not the only needs that must be met. Indeed, watering our lawns accounts for a significant portion of household water consumption. A pretty lawn is not worth its short-term gain. The sad thing is people think money should buy everything. As long as you throw money at it, you can fix it. This is not generally the best strategy.

Conservation in all sectors looks like an inevitability. But with Americans never having enough, we may face these problems a lot sooner. If only Americans could assess the priorities we could make decisions that helps create a foundation for solutions. In the meantime division is rife. Perhaps critical thought should be essential in the schools to combat strife for the sake of strife. However, informal education through ceaseless advertisement tells us we need more and we listen by buying. Advertising has dastardly effects otherwise well-meaning citizens--it converts them into consumers first and foremost rather than people.
You are the first person to talk about this. 8 years ago. Good for you.

States dependent on Colorado River wonder if desalination could help the water supply​

No worries when we cut back meat consumption by 90% ... Detroit will be able to feed herself from lands within 100 miles ... and the vegganism will most definitely cut back on crime in the region ... easier to support them because with 90% fewer passenger vehicles ... most folk in Detroit will be unemployed ...

Right, we can't grow lettuce ... in January ... in Michigan ... but what kind of MORON lives in Michigan after September? ... there's thousands of feet of snow on the ground by October 12th every year ... if I remember correctly ... [giggle] ... when it comes to climate, never listen to an Upper Midwesterner ... these people are clueless ... [chorkle] ... frozen brain cells in utero or something ...

In other words ... STOP eating fresh produce during off-season ... that lettuce in the supermarket ... in January ... was grown using Colorado River water, the Imperial Valley in California ...

Last edited:
No worries when we cut back meat consumption by 90% ... Detroit will be able to feed herself from lands within 100 miles ... and the vegganism will most definitely cut back on crime in the region ... easier to support them because with 90% fewer passenger vehicles ... most folk in Detroit will be unemployed ...

Right, we can't grow lettuce ... in January ... in Michigan ... but what kind of MORON lives in Michigan after September? ... there's thousands of feet of snow on the ground by October 12th every year ... if I remember correctly ... [giggle] ... when it comes to climate, never listen to an Upper Midwesterner ... these people are clueless ... [chorkle] ... frozen brain cells in utero or something ...

You are so misinformed.

So maybe we go without lettuce in the winter. We can preserve things to get us through the winter.

And we can trade with southern states who do grow lettuce. The point is, what we can grow here where we have a lot of water, we should. And sell it to people who live near the Colorado River. Did this ever cross your mind? That if we are producing produce for those dry states, we will make money off of them? Supply and demand....

Hunting season starts October 1st. I love hunting in October because it's very warm. The mornings might be in the 20's or 30's but it warms up to 60 degrees. It's actually too hot to hunt. Luckily I have an Amish butcher near by I can take the deer too even after hours so my deer doesn't have to sit out all night rotting.

You assume this 90% number. Maybe we only cut back 30% or 20%. Are you being dramatic?

And then you jump into assuming 90% fewer vehicles. Why? Are we going to transition to more mass transit? We should. The Big 3 auto companies destroyed any mass transit in MI. If you wanted to live in MI, you needed a car. Today I could ride my Ebike wherever I need to go. Even work. I work 7 minutes from my home. That means I'm not burning up a lot of gas either. Maybe we should all move closer to where we work.

When the Lincoln Ford plant went to Mexico, I thought my town was going to turn into a grave yard. It didn't happen. Metro Detroit is still HUGE when it comes to manufacturing. So we were hardest hit when Republicans sent all our union jobs overseas. But we still manufacture here in MI.

Anyways, I read somewhere that MI has a very diverse type of soil because we go all the way from the bottom of MI to the UP. So we can grow a lot of different types of produce.

I just learned something new. Michigan ranks first in the nation for asparagus production, producing up to 23 million pounds annually.

The state leads the nation in the production of several crops, including asparagus; black and cranberry beans; cucumbers; tart cherries; Niagara grapes; and squash. Michigan agriculture contributes more than $104.7 billion annually to our state's economy, second in diversity only to California.

Michigan produces more than 300 commodities on a commercial basis

Based on your comment, you didn't know any of this.

PS. We are only idiots for living in MI after December. It's Jan-March that Michiganders question why the fuck we live in this state. The rest of the year it's a paradise.

In other words ... STOP eating fresh produce during off-season ... that lettuce in the supermarket ... in January ... was grown using Colorado River water, the Imperial Valley in California ...
Salinas produces onlt 1% of the lettuce grown in California.

Colorado river water is not threatening the lettuce production in california.

You are so misinformed.

So maybe we go without lettuce in the winter. We can preserve things to get us through the winter.

And we can trade with southern states who do grow lettuce. The point is, what we can grow here where we have a lot of water, we should. And sell it to people who live near the Colorado River. Did this ever cross your mind? That if we are producing produce for those dry states, we will make money off of them? Supply and demand....

Hunting season starts October 1st. I love hunting in October because it's very warm. The mornings might be in the 20's or 30's but it warms up to 60 degrees. It's actually too hot to hunt. Luckily I have an Amish butcher near by I can take the deer too even after hours so my deer doesn't have to sit out all night rotting.

You assume this 90% number. Maybe we only cut back 30% or 20%. Are you being dramatic?

And then you jump into assuming 90% fewer vehicles. Why? Are we going to transition to more mass transit? We should. The Big 3 auto companies destroyed any mass transit in MI. If you wanted to live in MI, you needed a car. Today I could ride my Ebike wherever I need to go. Even work. I work 7 minutes from my home. That means I'm not burning up a lot of gas either. Maybe we should all move closer to where we work.

When the Lincoln Ford plant went to Mexico, I thought my town was going to turn into a grave yard. It didn't happen. Metro Detroit is still HUGE when it comes to manufacturing. So we were hardest hit when Republicans sent all our union jobs overseas. But we still manufacture here in MI.

Anyways, I read somewhere that MI has a very diverse type of soil because we go all the way from the bottom of MI to the UP. So we can grow a lot of different types of produce.

I just learned something new. Michigan ranks first in the nation for asparagus production, producing up to 23 million pounds annually.

The state leads the nation in the production of several crops, including asparagus; black and cranberry beans; cucumbers; tart cherries; Niagara grapes; and squash. Michigan agriculture contributes more than $104.7 billion annually to our state's economy, second in diversity only to California.

Michigan produces more than 300 commodities on a commercial basis

Based on your comment, you didn't know any of this.

PS. We are only idiots for living in MI after December. It's Jan-March that Michiganders question why the fuck we live in this state. The rest of the year it's a paradise.

Welll ... gee ... ummmm ...

I guess I should thank you for taking the time to type all that in ... I've lived in Iowa and Iowa makes Michigan look like shit (I should probably add that this was back in the 1980's ... maybe things have changed, but I doubt it) ... no offense ... both states grow corn, with beans in rotation ... corn for animal feed ... not humans ... we can grow twenty times the food for humans as the meat produced from the same amount of land ... in Iowa and Michigan ... sounds wasteful ...

Americans demand two serving of meat as a part of all four meals per day ... 10% of that is roughly one serving per day ... average ... still better than impoverished shit holes like France, Haiti and Germany ... so I have no idea what the grief is ...

I just learned something new. Michigan ranks first in the nation for asparagus production ...

That's because this is a new condition ... as late as 2015, California topped that list ... I don't know why the sudden drop off, perhaps the water shortages are causing farmers to re-think their water consumption? ... this is the Delta Region ... where soil burns ... no shit, rich in organics ...

Salinas produces onlt 1% of the lettuce grown in California.

Wow ... good thing I specified the IMPERIAL VALLEY ... 500 FUCKING MILES TO THE SOUTH ...

Salinas is famous for Brussels Sprouts ... and other COLD WEATHER crops ... at least before we laid 4 inches of cement over the top ... now we grow homeless camps there ...

Yeah, I suspect Sierra snowpack will have more direct impact on lettuce production since it is coming out of the Central Valley. Interesting that climate change may be having an impact and if we fail to respond then not just lettuce prices will go up, but most table vegetables.

Americans will then understand the whole point of this debate and how the denialists set them up to suffer.

Yeah, I suspect Sierra snowpack will have more direct impact on lettuce production since it is coming out of the Central Valley. Interesting that climate change may be having an impact and if we fail to respond then not just lettuce prices will go up, but most table vegetables.

Americans will then understand the whole point of this debate and how the denialists set them up to suffer.
Suffer? You are so ignorant about what you speak it is pathetic.

The central valley grows less than 1% of the lettuce in california. The Sierra Nevada snow pack will not increase od decrease the price of lettuce.

And, a bigger impact on the price of lettuce is wind turbines and solar panels.

Wow ... good thing I specified the IMPERIAL VALLEY ... 500 FUCKING MILES TO THE SOUTH ...

Salinas is famous for Brussels Sprouts ... and other COLD WEATHER crops ... at least before we laid 4 inches of cement over the top ... now we grow homeless camps there ...
Actually i got that wrong, the imperial valley produces less than 1% of the lettuce in California.

Salinas? The big Brussel sprout growing counties are on the coast. I would be surprised if Salinas grows any.

Jesus what is your problem?

Citation, please.
Lettuce needs cool weather, the central valley is to hot.

If you were educated you would know that.

Further, I had a good friend that lived just south of carmel, on a cliff on the ocean. Traveling to visit one can see what is grown where.

Central valley, nuts, grapes, tomatoes, cotten.

Lettuce? Maybe one early crop before that valley gets hot.

Welll ... gee ... ummmm ...

I guess I should thank you for taking the time to type all that in ... I've lived in Iowa and Iowa makes Michigan look like shit (I should probably add that this was back in the 1980's ... maybe things have changed, but I doubt it) ... no offense ... both states grow corn, with beans in rotation ... corn for animal feed ... not humans ... we can grow twenty times the food for humans as the meat produced from the same amount of land ... in Iowa and Michigan ... sounds wasteful ...

Americans demand two serving of meat as a part of all four meals per day ... 10% of that is roughly one serving per day ... average ... still better than impoverished shit holes like France, Haiti and Germany ... so I have no idea what the grief is ...

I just learned something new. Michigan ranks first in the nation for asparagus production ...

That's because this is a new condition ... as late as 2015, California topped that list ... I don't know why the sudden drop off, perhaps the water shortages are causing farmers to re-think their water consumption? ... this is the Delta Region ... where soil burns ... no shit, rich in organics ...
In Michigan we are surrounded by fresh water.

Lettuce needs cool weather, the central valley is to hot.

If you were educated you would know that.

Further, I had a good friend that lived just south of carmel, on a cliff on the ocean. Traveling to visit one can see what is grown where.

Central valley, nuts, grapes, tomatoes, cotten.

Lettuce? Maybe one early crop before that valley gets hot.

Citation please. Thanks

Look it up yourself mrs/mr diplomaless

Provide you citation proving what you contend.

You are very bad at making demands of others you refuse to do yourself.

Citation is a great idea, you made a citationless comment. Now show us where you got tjat information.

So you normally just talk out of your ass without being able to support your position? And you have a college degree? Yeah, right.

So you normally just talk out of your ass without being able to support your position? And you have a college degree? Yeah, right.
Support your position, you made the comment, now provide the citation.

Do you always talk out your ass, unable to prove what you say.

And you claim to have a college degree? In what, hypocrisy.

Forum List

Back