Colorado River is Declining.

How would you get that water to them? A 30 foot diameter pipe from Chicago to Lake Mead and the pumps to drive it?
I’m not an engineer but I assume it would be pumped

A Year of Threats Looms for Western Rivers | Earthjustice

We need to keep in mind humans are not the only species that needs water. However, actions of some assume what water that is not collected is "wasted" water. This ignorance of biology and ecology needs to be rectified before we engage in short-term solutions to our problems that create greater long term problems. Americans have increasingly lost awareness of our relationship to nature and thus policy-makers are making decisions without proper foresight. Nothing new of course but stuff is going to start blowing up in our face.

Arizona, California, and much of the West are running into water problems and we need to be aware of what's at stake. Our needs are not the only needs that must be met. Indeed, watering our lawns accounts for a significant portion of household water consumption. A pretty lawn is not worth its short-term gain. The sad thing is people think money should buy everything. As long as you throw money at it, you can fix it. This is not generally the best strategy.

Conservation in all sectors looks like an inevitability. But with Americans never having enough, we may face these problems a lot sooner. If only Americans could assess the priorities we could make decisions that helps create a foundation for solutions. In the meantime division is rife. Perhaps critical thought should be essential in the schools to combat strife for the sake of strife. However, informal education through ceaseless advertisement tells us we need more and we listen by buying. Advertising has dastardly effects otherwise well-meaning citizens--it converts them into consumers first and foremost rather than people.
Oh, oh, oh, I know!!! Let's transport the flood and hurricane CO2 to the Colorado River!!!!

Science wins again!!

Oh you poor baby ... you're in a "humid" climate, which means, in part, you receive your annual precipitation (generally) over the course of the year ... so you have to mow all year long ha ha ha ha ha ha ... whereas in the Colorado River Basin, we have a distinct Dry Season, where we receive less than 1% of our rainfall during the summer months ... I have a ryegrass lawn and it's still brown and dead looking, hasn't grown since June ... I mow once a month whether it needs it or not ...

If we didn't mow in spring ... we'd have piles and piles of straw everyplace ... 95ºF temps, 5% RHs and a 20 mph wind ... and you know how Californians like to play with matches ... if we don't mow, the county will come in and mow for us, then send us the bill ... that's a valid public safety measure ... but we have the opposite problem ... clean fresh mountain-pure spring water bubbling out of the ground just everyplace ... it's a nuisance ... we measure rainfall by the foot ... four feet here in the valley bottoms, 8 feet on the uplands and 16 feet atop the hills (Mt Hebe Radar Station to be exact) ...

Aqueduct ... The Dallas, Oregon to the headwaters of the Sacramento River ... easy peasy ...

=====

1% may not seem like much but consider 1 degree warmer oceans means a lot.

And that's why it takes four times the energy to change temperature that single degree ... we can compare the oceans in 1980 and again today and see all the difference a single degree makes ... care to elaborate what you see as being caused by this single degree? ... what is happening today that's wasn't happening in 1980? ... and how much is "a lot"? ... like hypercanes a lot? ...
Everyone KNOWS that atmospheric CO2 is heating the ocean 700m deep.

Science wins again!!

Forum List

Back