Climate Change; Can we afford to - not - fix it?

There has always been extreme weather events (EWE) of all kinds, so it's difficult to point at any one EWE and say it was caused by climate change. But we don't have to prove any single EWE was caused by climate change to know that climate change is costing us ever greater losses. This graph on the NOAA website shows that since 1980 EWE ( described as those events with losses in excess of one billion dollars in inflation adjusted dollars ) have gone from 3 - 6 per year to now where we are having 15 - 20..

We can't say any particular EWE is caused by climate change, but we can say with certainty that we are sustaining 15 - 20 billion ( many are multi-billion) dollar loss events in excess of what we had before the rapid global warming over the last four decades.

Total losses due to Billion Dollar EWE are now more than 2 1/2 Trillion dollars.

When we can no longer afford to repair our infrastructure, or simply can no longer keep up the pace of needed repairs we will wonder why solving
our fossil fuels dependency was resisted at all.

View attachment 833597
Nice chart. I could buy a really nice beachfront home in Los Angeles for $300k in 1980.

Nice chart. I could buy a really nice beachfront home in Los Angeles for $300k in 1980.
I bet that house is worth at least five times that money today. Even with the misinformation about sea level rising. People obviously see reality vs misinformation

Nitpick ... LA is benched up a good 30 feet above the Pacific ... couple feet sea level rise is nothing to them ... that house was bench-front when humans first got there 10,000 years ago ... when sea levels were 30 feet higher across the globe ... and glaciers were a thing of the past ...

My father drove us kids by the vineyard Mom wanted to buy ... 42 acres in vine, 3 bdrm ranch style home ... maybe ten minutes from downtown Santa Rosa ...$24,000 on a VA loan ... in 1953 ... climate has changed just a little bit since then ... Santa Rosa is a little bigger than the 17,000 souls back then ...

ETA: I was going to delete this post until jc456 posted ... damn ... that took guts ... 5 times is all, that's sad ... I have a Skilsaw that's appreciated more than that ...

How much do you think 42 acres of land in Santa Rosa sells for today? ... I'd guess 1,000 times the purchase price ...

$3-15M now. My G-Grandparents tiny 1920 craftsman a mile from the beach recently sold for $2M and was torn down and replaced.

$2 million just for the lot ... yeah ... that's about right ... there good economy just building houses to last 50 years ... when that second layer of roofing shingles wears out, just about everything is too expense to keep fixing ... except as rentals ...

This is much worse building on sand ... laughable any building today will be inundated by sea level rise ... just pathetic ...

$2 million just for the lot ... yeah ... that's about right ... there good economy just building houses to last 50 years ... when that second layer of roofing shingles wears out, just about everything is too expense to keep fixing ... except as rentals ...

This is much worse building on sand ... laughable any building today will be inundated by sea level rise ... just pathetic ...
Still posting misinformation on roofing

Well obviously you can’t even walk to the library to get a text on evolution.

You’re strange.

Read a book on it.

So, you never graduated from HS.
Home schooled ?

I don't need to read a text; I already know you're a moron.
But please, copy and paste the part that you think supports your claim. DURR.

Not sure what that has to do with the pricing for roofing?

Because you've never fallen off a roof ... or had all the nail heads sticking up save you from sliding ... you know, the true cost of roofing ...

As I remember, the argument was over pylons ... and you don't know how to flash those ... retroactively ...

If you don't think those have to be flashed ... retroactively ... then absolutely don't get rooftop solar panels ... you sound like a tenant ...

Because you've never fallen off a roof ... or had all the nail heads sticking up save you from sliding ... you know, the true cost of roofing ...

As I remember, the argument was over pylons ... and you don't know how to flash those ... retroactively ...

If you don't think those have to be flashed ... retroactively ... then absolutely don't get rooftop solar panels ... you sound like a tenant ...
The debate was the expense difference between solar panel roofs and replacing a roof normally. Because you lost you steered a different direction to disrupt the thread

neither the world's climate scientists nor the personnel of the IPCC are predominantly democrats. And I have to ask why you think pilots' opinions should be notable in any regard.
I am speaking of the Democrats in America. I do not think you said you are a climate expert so would you want me to rule you out of discussions? I am virtually certain you do not know what we pilots learned in what is called Aviation weather that at the least can spark an interest in global climate. But the Federal information is pretty extensive.

I am speaking of the Democrats in America.
But what you are labeling "crap" is the conclusions of scientists from all over the planet, not American democrats.
I do not think you said you are a climate expert so would you want me to rule you out of discussions?
I wasn't attempting to rule anyone out of discusions. I was just curious why you would go to that particular group on this particular subject.
I am virtually certain you do not know what we pilots learned in what is called Aviation weather that at the least can spark an interest in global climate.
That's fine. Ask away. Have you gotten any responses? The population on this board is not that large. You may well be the only pilot here.
But the Federal information is pretty extensive.
What information is that?

But they are not the storms are no worse than in the past.

Ding, ding, ding!

Democrats are massively arrogant believing that humans are the only thing that affects the planet and they can therefore use "green" policies to absolutely control the economy and further and further restrict our freedom.

Democrat politicians aren't taking Democrat voters when they win and no longer need them.

Killed by leftists: 100 million
Freed by leftists: 0

Ding, ding, ding!

Democrats are massively arrogant believing that humans are the only thing that affects the planet and they can therefore use "green" policies to absolutely control the economy and further and further restrict our freedom.

Democrat politicians aren't taking Democrat voters when they win and no longer need them.

Killed by leftists: 100 million
Freed by leftists: 0
Right? We poor more concrete and asphalt on a ground that can no longer absorb and now we have a climate problem. Yeppers. All day with a doomer.

But what you are labeling "crap" is the conclusions of scientists from all over the planet, not American democrats.

I wasn't attempting to rule anyone out of discusions. I was just curious why you would go to that particular group on this particular subject.

That's fine. Ask away. Have you gotten any responses? The population on this board is not that large. You may well be the only pilot here.

You stand tall for the people wanting to rule your life. But worse, they will rule your wife, your children and all of your relatives, based on a fiction.

Why would you go along with that game?

Look at this clearly. No scientist would go against the clams man is a son of a bitch who warms Earth if it was true. NONE of them would be in this fight. They would all tell us all we will fry in a hell we can't imagine if this stuff was true. But thousands of scientists call bunk on this.

Pilots are unique in America for having to understand weather. Sure climate is weather for 30 years, but the basis is always weather. Take for instance the climate in Death Valley. Were we in true danger of a too hot planet, Death Valley is the canary in the mine and it would currently set record heat waves. But the temperatures are much less than say back in 1913.

The debate was the expense difference between solar panel roofs and replacing a roof normally. Because you lost you steered a different direction to disrupt the thread

Because you hire scabs doesn't mean roofing is cheap ... if scabs you want, then scabs is what you get ... DON'T install solar panels, your dumbass brother-in-law will ruin your house ...

Would you install solar panels over 40 year old shingles? ... I guess so ... I'd re-roof first, then install panels, fucking dumb ass scab ...

Forum List

Back