Climate-change action is a conservative position

Solar, wind, wave and hydro is are very conservative in nature as it allows us to use our resources here at home WITH the added bonus of not having to dig it out of the ground!

Think about it. Give it another 5-10 years and our wind farms are going to be able to do it for far less then coal(that we have to dig out of the ground).

I think we conservatives should think of the economic benefit of renewable energy.

Last edited:
It's always a mistake on this board to call yourself a Republican, but disagree with the other Republicans on a single issue. You will be labeled a fake, a plant, a RINO, an Obama supporter. Straying from the narrative on one single issue is all it takes. The Republicans here aren't conservatives. They are neo-con robots, programmed by Rush Limbaugh and Shawn Hannity.

LOL, I've bumped into that before. Even worse, in some eyes, I'm not a "moderate," or even "centrist," I am, and always have been, a proudly progressive Republican, who holds previous progressive administrations (more Republican progressive administrations than Democratic progressive administrations, IMO) in high esteem. I am progressive first, and Republican second - at least in the current era. If most modern Democrats were actually progressive, instead of being right of center neoliberals, I would have probably switched parties back in the '90s when fringe conservative extremism hijacked the Republican party.

Seems the current one-party system in the US only has room for the far fringe right Conservatives and the right of center neoLiberals.

What is a progressive republican? One who spends and racks up trillions of debt?

Obama is a conservative?

hehehehe

It might well be that democrats fashion obama into a conservative, just so they don't have to oppose another liberal.

I don't care what they call him, as long as they call him gone. Take the whole failed regime with him when he goes.

It's always a mistake on this board to call yourself a Republican, but disagree with the other Republicans on a single issue. You will be labeled a fake, a plant, a RINO, an Obama supporter. Straying from the narrative on one single issue is all it takes. The Republicans here aren't conservatives. They are neo-con robots, programmed by Rush Limbaugh and Shawn Hannity.

Which is why we have to EXPAND the politcal party system. Principled folks need shelter from the wrath of the party operatives.. Really 5 people run this country.. Cross the House/Senate Leaders or the Prez and your office will be in janitor closet where no cameras or constituents will ever find you..

As for the OP --- Free markets can and do solve these things. Every proposal from the left is about money into the General Fund to be crapped away..

My skepticism is NOT that the Earth is warming. I absolutely reject the hysteria about 1degF rise in my lifetime being due to CO2 or causing 2734 different crisis that need govt attention.. So if we KNEW THE MECHANISM for the warming -- we could prepare to do the engineering and public policy to cope with the consequences. I'm ALL up with that...

BTW -- no way I'm a just a mere Conservative. I could out Liberal most on this board on Social Issues and Out Con most Cons on fiscal govt and funding.. In fact a Libertarian who's been working for 3rd party ballot access most of his life. So --- there ya go...

Tell me Trakar -- What should a mutt like ME believe about Global Warming?

First and foremost political beliefs should never guide your understanding of any aspect of the world, politics is about shaping public policy actions not a lens through which anyone should filter their perceptions or understandings.

As to what you believe about global warming, that is largely irrelevant. What is important is what the observations and well supported mainstream science understandings compellingly indicate. Decisions should be based on relevant and well vetted objective facts whenever possible and on beliefs only in the absence of such facts and established understandings.

LOL, I've bumped into that before. Even worse, in some eyes, I'm not a "moderate," or even "centrist," I am, and always have been, a proudly progressive Republican, who holds previous progressive administrations (more Republican progressive administrations than Democratic progressive administrations, IMO) in high esteem. I am progressive first, and Republican second - at least in the current era. If most modern Democrats were actually progressive, instead of being right of center neoliberals, I would have probably switched parties back in the '90s when fringe conservative extremism hijacked the Republican party.

Seems the current one-party system in the US only has room for the far fringe right Conservatives and the right of center neoLiberals.

What is a progressive republican? One who spends and racks up trillions of debt?

I wouldn't say "Progressive" to describe this form of republican, but I do believe that they're someone that supports science, technology and infrastructure. This nation hasn't built very much infrastructure the last 25-30years. Hell we got bridges that are over 50 years old that are coming apart.

We should build a more modern energy grid as it is very old and ineffient. We'd be wise to do so and renewables should be part of it as they're cheaper(overall)l as we don't have to mine, ship, etc to get that energy unlike coal and oil. I also support nuclear for the same reason. ;)

One thing about this republican is that they support science and advancement in technology. The republican party as of now is becoming the party of time travel back to 1791...Let's be honest we have learned a shit load in the past 250 years....A mix economic system is a fair system. Unless you believe that a "corporation" should be able to treat it's workers any damn way it pleases and charge what it wants in energy prices to the consumer. Cities mostly control the utilities for the benefit of the population! This is good. ;) Most cities also control their police departments and fire for this reason.

The pure "capitalist" model doesn't work in a modern nation. Most of the people wouldn't want it anyways. People love science, technology and infrastructure. Sad how most republicans here hate what makes this nation a first world nation, but here they're. lol :eek:

Last edited:
Go visit Glacier Bay in Alaska. The glacier has been receding for 200 years, 90% before 1900. Hmm...

and the antarctic ice is growing, Does anyone really believe that man has anything to do with either?

Important role for ocean warming and increased ice-shelf melt in Antarctic sea-ice expansion

Changes in sea ice significantly modulate climate change because of its high reflective and strong insulating nature. In contrast to Arctic sea ice, sea ice surrounding Antarctica has expanded1, with record extent2 in 2010. This ice expansion has previously been attributed to dynamical atmospheric changes that induce atmospheric cooling3. Here we show that accelerated basal melting of Antarctic ice shelves is likely to have contributed significantly to sea-ice expansion. Specifically, we present observations indicating that melt water from Antarctica’s ice shelves accumulates in a cool and fresh surface layer that shields the surface ocean from the warmer deeper waters that are melting the ice shelves. Simulating these processes in a coupled climate model we find that cool and fresh surface water from ice-shelf melt indeed leads to expanding sea ice in austral autumn and winter. This powerful negative feedback counteracts Southern Hemispheric atmospheric warming. Although changes in atmospheric dynamics most likely govern regional sea-ice trends4, our analyses indicate that the overall sea-ice trend is dominated by increased ice-shelf melt. We suggest that cool sea surface temperatures around Antarctica could offset projected snowfall increases in Antarctica, with implications for estimates of future sea-level rise.

Nature Geoscience | Letter

No, that is evidently the neo-conservative/liberal position. Progressives firmly believe in pay as you go, of course, they tend to use taxation (both direct progressive and through bond sales) to generate the money to accomplish the big things that society deems worthy or necessary.

Forum List

Back