Christians: Are We Commanded To Preach To Others Or To Try To Save Their Souls?

Except religious nutters aren't shoving it
That's exactly what happens. Nothing makes me less willing to listen than this constant shoving it down your throat from the religious nutters.

I not only understand that, but appreciate what you are saying here.

Except what you loons describe as "shoving it down your throat" consists of you going to places (or websites) that are identified as Christian, then attacking the Christians for "shoving it down your throat" when they defend themselves and their faith against attack.

Nobody has a right to not hear views they don't agree with. And being annoyed is not the same as having anything forced upon you.

Yes they do have that right. Why must you force your preaching onto me. I have a Church and a minister. I don't need to hear you preach.

Then don't coming into a religious forum where we are discussing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. No one is forcing you to be here. You aren't a victim of us forcing anything on you. Stop pretending to be.

You can't read? You read my thread before you started off spouting your condemnation of myself and the other guy who told you that guys like you were the reason he didn't like Christians.

So you bought lud's excuse. I highly doubt the Lord will excuse anyone because someone else did something so audacious as to suggest they get to know God.

if you want to know God, talk to Him. And stop pretending to be against preaching while preaching.

Almost without fail, a nonbeliever will enter a religion thread to spout off about the problems and hypocracy of religion. In essence, preaching to us. Interesting the door only swings one way.

Who is the non-believer? You condemn others. You don't really even know if your own pastor is saved or not. Who granted you the authority to condemn others or to determine whether they are a non-believer or not? You make my case for me.

Who did I condemn? Your logic is highly flawed. By your posts we cannot know if anyone is saved and therefore should not start any religious conversation unless spoken to first. Yet, we are to help save people? Further you are on a message board, so the conversation has already started. No one is forcing you to push buttons.

No, I'm not teaching the kids potty mouth. I shouldn't have said tough shit, I hope you will recover. I suppose now we'll have to hear about how I *forced* you to read salty language.

Last edited:
Just a suggestion, but if you are sitting in a pew every Sunday and this confused, perhaps you should talk to your pastor directly.

Just a suggestion, but if you are sitting in a pew every Sunday and this confused, perhaps you should talk to your pastor directly.

I'm not confused. I also recognize that others have also posted on here saying how these want-to-be preachers have caused them to deny Christianity. These pretend to be called to preach self-appointed preachers are simply using their 'great commission" to shove their own brand of Christianity down the throats of those who are already fed up with their pious and vain ramblings. If one desires to hear the word of God, one has more than ample opportunity in this country to hear it from a real ordained minister.

I have read the Bible for some 50+ years now and have found no scriptures instructing the average lay Christian to either preach to sinners or to attempt to save any sinner's soul. If you have discovered such scripture, please post it. Thank you in advance.

Matthew 28:19-20King James Version (KJV)
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Mark 16:15-16English Standard Version (ESV)
15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Thank you again. I am well aware of both these scriptures, however, these instructions were specifically given by the Christ to the Apostles and not to any lay Christian.

For the record I am not a Bible believing Christian. I am convinced that if there is a judging God He will not judge us by what we believe but rather how we live our lives in accordance with those beliefs. However, I have studied the Bible for over 60 years and have many Christian friends. . When Christians spread the word they are living their faith and that is a wonderful thing . One of my best friends is a Christian and he told me Christians who don't spread the word are either spiritually lazy or they are ashamed to openly declare their faith.

I have never been offended or harmed in any way by Christians who wanted to share their faith. When the Jehovah's Witnesses come to the door I tell them I would be glad to discuss the Bible with them, but I caution them that I am steadfast in my own faith and would not change. Once the parameters are set conversations are short but friendly.

If Christians feel they have found the truth and their lives have been enriched thereby, there is nothing wrong with them sharing their experiences and spreading their joy. And if they are genuinely convinced that those who did not believe in Christ were going to hell, I would expect them to do everything in their power to prevent this from happening; hell, I'd be preaching from the rooftops.

Christians should be guided by what the Bible says and there is a scriptural basis for proselytizing. Here are a few of the relevant verses:

“Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me. When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand. Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul” (Ezekiel 3:17-19, KJV).

This mandate to warn sinners of their wicked ways applies to all people, not just apostles. Although these Old Testament words do not address the Christian faith directly, it is nonetheless applicable to Christianity since it applies to each and all. The most direct references to a duty to publicly declare Christ come for the New Testament in verses such as the following (these verses clearly apply to ALL Christians, not just apostles):

“Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven” (Matthew 10:32; see also Luke 12:8, Romans 10:9, and 1 John 4:15, KJV).

“Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels” (Mark 8:38, KJV).

People have different ways of doing almost everything and when it comes to spreading the Word some Christians are more personable than others. During my long life, I have encountered both the rudely aggressive and the friendly persuader. Even on the Internet you can see the various styles of those Christians on a conversion mission. Some belittle and degrade, while others are positive and caring. It is what it is. I suggest that when you criticize Christians for their attempts to convert you, it is proper to condemn their methods, but not their goals.

Conclusion: There are specific verses in the Bible which require Christians to proselytize. However, even in the absence of such specificity Christians would still have a duty to share the Word just as they would share other good things in their life. This is nothing more than common courtesy and caring. Besides, to a Bible believing Christian sharing the Word is more than just spreading good news; it is literally a matter of life or death. The Biblical message is that only those who accept Christ will be saved, and common sense dictates that only those who hear of Christ could possibly accept Him. Why would anyone expect Christians to remain silent when there is so much on the line?

1. "Preach the Gospel always, and if necessary, use words." St Francis of Assisi.

2. The Jehovah's Witnesses no longer come to my house: I drew a chalk line of a body on the porch, and threw a few WatchTowers around it.

I have read the Bible for some 50+ years now and have found no scriptures instructing the average lay Christian to either preach to sinners or to attempt to save any sinner's soul. If you have discovered such scripture, please post it. Thank you in advance.

Matthew 28:19-20King James Version (KJV)
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Mark 16:15-16English Standard Version (ESV)
15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Thank you again. I am well aware of both these scriptures, however, these instructions were specifically given by the Christ to the Apostles and not to any lay Christian.

For the record I am not a Bible believing Christian. I am convinced that if there is a judging God He will not judge us by what we believe but rather how we live our lives in accordance with those beliefs. However, I have studied the Bible for over 60 years and have many Christian friends. . When Christians spread the word they are living their faith and that is a wonderful thing . One of my best friends is a Christian and he told me Christians who don't spread the word are either spiritually lazy or they are ashamed to openly declare their faith.

Then your friend is making a judgment of other Christians himself is he not? You see, he too is biased.

I have never been offended or harmed in any way by Christians who wanted to share their faith. When the Jehovah's Witnesses come to the door I tell them I would be glad to discuss the Bible with them, but I caution them that I am steadfast in my own faith and would not change. Once the parameters are set conversations are short but friendly.

If Christians feel they have found the truth and their lives have been enriched thereby, there is nothing wrong with them sharing their experiences and spreading their joy. And if they are genuinely convinced that those who did not believe in Christ were going to hell, I would expect them to do everything in their power to prevent this from happening; hell, I'd be preaching from the rooftops.

Christians should be guided by what the Bible says and there is a scriptural basis for proselytizing. Here are a few of the relevant verses:

“Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me. When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand. Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul” (Ezekiel 3:17-19, KJV).

This mandate to warn sinners of their wicked ways applies to all people, not just apostles. Although these Old Testament words do not address the Christian faith directly, it is nonetheless applicable to Christianity since it applies to each and all. The most direct references to a duty to publicly declare Christ come for the New Testament in verses such as the following (these verses clearly apply to ALL Christians, not just apostles):

“Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven” (Matthew 10:32; see also Luke 12:8, Romans 10:9, and 1 John 4:15, KJV).

“Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels” (Mark 8:38, KJV).

People have different ways of doing almost everything and when it comes to spreading the Word some Christians are more personable than others. During my long life, I have encountered both the rudely aggressive and the friendly persuader. Even on the Internet you can see the various styles of those Christians on a conversion mission. Some belittle and degrade, while others are positive and caring. It is what it is. I suggest that when you criticize Christians for their attempts to convert you, it is proper to condemn their methods, but not their goals.

Conclusion: There are specific verses in the Bible which require Christians to proselytize. However, even in the absence of such specificity Christians would still have a duty to share the Word just as they would share other good things in their life. This is nothing more than common courtesy and caring. Besides, to a Bible believing Christian sharing the Word is more than just spreading good news; it is literally a matter of life or death. The Biblical message is that only those who accept Christ will be saved, and common sense dictates that only those who hear of Christ could possibly accept Him. Why would anyone expect Christians to remain silent when there is so much on the line?

1. "Preach the Gospel always, and if necessary, use words." St Francis of Assisi.

2. The Jehovah's Witnesses no longer come to my house: I drew a chalk line of a body on the porch, and threw a few WatchTowers around it.

No, I'm not teaching the kids potty mouth. I shouldn't have said tough shit, I hope you will recover. I suppose now we'll have to hear about how I *forced* you to read salty language.

Well, salty language when spoken is bad enough but when one takes the time and forethought to write it, there is no defense. There are things such as class and character you know, even among preaching zealots.

Well, salty language when spoken is bad enough but when one takes the time and forethought to write it, there is no defense. There are things such as class and character you know, even among preaching zealots.

Yes, well, I don't put much store in your interpretation of the most basic of words, let alone the basic tenets of Christianity, which you've managed to completely bastardize.

Yes, well, I don't put much store in your interpretation of the most basic of words, let alone the basic tenets of Christianity, which you've managed to completely bastardize.

Probably about the same store I put when discussing potty mouth preachers who want to tell me what I must believe.

Probably about the same store I put when discussing potty mouth preachers who want to tell me what I must believe.

You can believe what you wish to believe. but the scriptures are clear that we are to preach the Gospel and warn our neighbors.

I have never told you that you must believe anything.

Again. You don't seem to grasp the concept of "being forced"....and apparently you don't understand the difference between being told to do something, and having someone share their opinion with you.

Again. You don't seem to grasp the concept of "being forced"....and apparently you don't understand the difference between being told to do something, and having someone share their opinion with you.

I might believe that if he wasn't trying to force his interpretation on people. I think he knows full well.

The adjective "force" only applies to points of view he doesn't hold himself.

When he blabs his nonsense, he's not forcing anyone to listen to him...but if he is faced with any dissent, then the dissenters are *forcing* him to listen.

Like I'm *telling* him how he should act, lol. He doesn't understand the difference between his opinion and even his own mistaken perception, and reality.

But I want to ask for your opinion first.

You can believe what you wish to believe. but the scriptures are clear that we are to preach the Gospel and warn our neighbors.

The difference between you and I are that you have decided that Christ failed miserably in the very mission God the Father sent Him to accomplish (I doubt though that you even know what that mission was) while I have the faith to believe He will succeed as He said He would himself.

Forum List

Back