Chili / Chili Cheese

1664025098816.png

The Surprising (and Speculative) History of Chili​

When, where, and how chili originated remains a heated debate.​

EXCERPT:

Types of Chili Today​

The International Chili Society, which holds the World Championship Chili Cook-off, divides chili into the following categories: traditional red, chili verde, homestyle chili, and veggie chili.

As purists would have it, traditional red (chili con carne) hasn't changed much over the years. It still consists of meat, red chili peppers, and spices — no beans, rice, pasta, or other fillers, aside from vegetables, according to ICS criteria.

Last edited:
The Ingredient You Need For Thicker, More Flavorful Chili
A simple way to prevent your chilli from being unsatisfyingly thin is by adding masa harina, or corn flour, to your recipe.

Read More: The Ingredient You Need For Thicker, More Flavorful Chili - Tasting Table

Could also use garbanzo bean/chickpea flour or rice flour, or tapioca flour.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to Thicken Chili: 6 Ways You Can Try for A More Satisfying Meal

Chili Secret Ingredients: 12 Flavorful Additions From Beer to Coffee

From another thread;
IIRC, "old fashion way", i.e. original/first versions were without beans. And "purists" will also say "no beans". Story I've heard is that chili started as a way to cook lean rangy beef while on cattle drives. Mostly the chopped beef with peppers, and/or tomatoes, to help soften it to edible~chewable condition.

I like beans for added source of proteins and more texture and flavor. Usually use canned ones and pour in with the 'juice' for added fluid. Canned being already cooked, the chili is ready to eat sooner. Usually use a mix of black, red, kidney, and/or pinto beans, about a can each at least, in a 5-8 quart pot of meat and other ingredients.

For meat, I use "steak", usually a cheap cut like chuck or round, diced into about 1/4" to /12" and added to a pan of sauteed chopped onions and garlic, maybe with some diced bell or jalapeno, or similar peppers (what's on sale or at hand). If 'burger'~ground meat; usually a mix of beef and/or pork with chicken/turkey, browned in a skillet. Sausage, like linquica or similar is an occasional option addition, though I usually like such for pasta sauce or paella.

I'll use canned tomatoes, either store bought or from our preserves, and some tomato paste also. Like to sprinkle paprika on the meat while it is being browned (also season with cumin, turmeric, ginger, and/or cinnamon). Once assembled and simmering, I'm going for not too watery, but not thick as paste either. At simmer stage I like to add a few tablespoons of chocolate powder to give a more mole' slant (and make the sauce a bit more 'brown'), along with some brown sugar and/or honey. The sweet and chocolate help tame down the "hot" of the spices and give more depth to the flavor.

Like many similar dishes, always better the next day or two after it's has aged a bit.

The Ingredient You Need For Thicker, More Flavorful Chili
A simple way to prevent your chilli from being unsatisfyingly thin is by adding masa harina, or corn flour, to your recipe.

Read More: The Ingredient You Need For Thicker, More Flavorful Chili - Tasting Table

Could also use garbanzo bean/chickpea flour or rice flour, or tapioca flour.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to Thicken Chili: 6 Ways You Can Try for A More Satisfying Meal

Chili Secret Ingredients: 12 Flavorful Additions From Beer to Coffee

That first link also has about 20 other 'non-chili' recipes that may be of interest.
That second one suggests some ingredient additions many might never thought of.

Forum List

Back