Changing the Voting Age

If an intelligence test was necessary for voting we would have very low turn out on election day.

And that would be bad because?

Well, gee I don't know? Maybe because the party in power will be deciding what they mean by intelligence?

I meant, what would be bad about having a very low turnout?

But to the point. You want a test? Make an Amendment to the Constitution. Until you do no such test is legal.

Where does the Constitution say that passing a test can be a requirement for voting?

If you are considered mature enough to join the military and put your life on the line for the country at 18 then you are old enough to vote.
Achieving a certain age may make on eligible to vote but not necessarily qualified to vote.
I believe a simple, basic 5 question test on civics and government should be a requirement to register for the the vote.
Question one...Name the three branches of the federal government.
Question two....the number of Supreme Court Justices.
Question three. What is the purpose of the US Constitution.
Question four. Name your US House District Representative.
Question five....Name the two US Senators that represent your state of residence..
....To acquire a voter registration card, one must answer 4 of the five questions correctly.
Applicants are given TWO chances to pass.

Agreed, except you will get many odd answers for question three.

A better question would be when was the Bill of Rights ratified...

If your criteria is that the voter should actually INFORMED about who they're voting for then you are definitely in the wrong party. The average Republican voter is THEE most uninformed voter there is.

Political Animal - The ‘most consistently misinformed media viewers’

They should actually LOWER the voting age to 16 bub, not raise it. :cuckoo:

What about the voters who get questioned by Jay Leno on ''Jay Walk"?

Oh, that's right, Leno is a comedian. Jon Stewart is a comedian also.
See the connection?

If your criteria is that the voter should actually INFORMED about who they're voting for then you are definitely in the wrong party. The average Republican voter is THEE most uninformed voter there is.

Political Animal - The ‘most consistently misinformed media viewers’

They should actually LOWER the voting age to 16 bub, not raise it. :cuckoo:

What about the voters who get questioned by Jay Leno on ''Jay Walk"?

Oh, that's right, Leno is a comedian. Jon Stewart is a comedian also.
See the connection?

:lol:

Who the fuck watches that shit?

Oh yeah the majority of the public....

libbs would let 5 yr olds vote as long as their parents had no say in their votes !! hell they already have dead people and illegals voting for them !!........AND THATS THE DAMN TRUTH !!

libbs would let 5 yr olds vote as long as their parents had no say in their votes !! hell they already have dead people and illegals voting for them !!........AND THATS THE DAMN TRUTH !!

I'm from Illinois I know all about it...

It's interesting that the "Constitutional" Conservatives are always the ones calling for the right to vote being taken away from people they generally don't agree with.

Really? WHo is calling for that? No one on this thread.
The issue is grossly uninformed voters casting ballots based on irrelevant factors that makes a mockery of the original system of representative democracy that the Founders envisioned.
I don't care what other views those people have.

I know this will never happen. But I am 20. And 75% of the people my age should not be allowed to vote. They have no clue about the candidates. They have no clue about the issues. They have no idea what they're voting for. They vote with their @$$.

So do a lot of 40 year olds. Stupidity and ignorance has no age limit.

So do a lot of 60 year olds.
But the point is well taken, that there is a bunch more cluelessness among 18 year olds than people older than that. Add in that many of them do not have family responsibilities, jobs, etc and that easily explains their immaturity.

And that would be bad because?

Well, gee I don't know? Maybe because the party in power will be deciding what they mean by intelligence?

I meant, what would be bad about having a very low turnout?

But to the point. You want a test? Make an Amendment to the Constitution. Until you do no such test is legal.

Where does the Constitution say that passing a test can be a requirement for voting?

The Supreme Court ruled no tests may be used to determine eligibility for voting. Also an Amendment was added to prevent a poll tax and though a tax is money the Courts have ruled it applies to tests as well. .

The stimulus' are a fantastic example of that assertion - Obama paid off his union base, the GM takeover and bailout is another example of Obama bailing out his UAW union base... He wasn't going to let GM fail - that's part of his UAW union base...
You mean George W. Bush. Bush's stimulus bailouts that Obama validated and continued.

What universe do you live in?

You just make shit up.... You are probably dumb enough to believe it too..

Bush gave working people a 500 dollar tax rebate...

That's it..

Most only got $250.00

Obama committed 3.5 trillion in spending, most of which went to unions thus far..
Obama passed TARP in 2008? Tell me how that was possible in your retarded universe?

You mean George W. Bush. Bush's stimulus bailouts that Obama validated and continued.

That's it..

Most only got $250.00

Obama committed 3.5 trillion in spending, most of which went to unions thus far..
Obama passed TARP in 2008? Tell me how that was possible in your retarded universe?

Um, TARP wasn't a stimulus.

That's it..

Most only got $250.00

Um, TARP wasn't a stimulus.
TARP was the bailouts.

That's it..

Most only got $250.00

It was CRA that fucked us dummy.....

Apparently Clinton and Sharpton are good friends because they fucked lots of people...

Want to argue against my assertion, just so I can prove it?

Quite frankly I'm tired of discussing the CRA...

I suppose truth is truth tho....

I really should be paid for posting this shit...

I learn all this shit and then I spew it for free??

I'm not a fucking teacher, and I don't read books to educate retards.

Last edited:

That's it..

Most only got $250.00

It was CRA that fucked us dummy.....

Apparently Clinton and Sharpton are good friends because they fucked lots of people...

Want to argue against my assertion, just so I can prove it?

Quite frankly I'm tired of discussing the CRA...

I suppose truth is truth tho....

I really should be paid for posting this shit...

I learn all this shit and then I spew it for free??

I'm not a fucking teacher, and I don't read books to educate retards.
The Community Reinvestment Act? Christ. I don't think the CRA was at issue at all; but since you bring it up now, and considering how both the CRA and the 1980 bailout of Chrysler were both implemented by the same President, I still find it to be exceedingly Jimmy Peanut of Bush to bailout a bunch of losers because they're too big to fail.

Look douche, I only meant to point out to you that Bush, rather than Obama as you claimed, started this last batch of bailouts for losers who lose too much to lose.

If the fact that you're still wrong about this makes you so uncomfortable that you'd rather discuss CRA, that's fine just with me--but if you're really so tired of discussing CRA, maybe you'd just be better off with admitting you are wrong about who implemented the current bailouts of GM and Chrysler, as well as such Wall St. firms as Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, J.P. Morgan Chase, and Bank of America.

Otherwise, feel perfectly free to enjoy your own retarded Universe.

So how bout we only let teens who are in the military vote??

Personally all these movements, like Rock The Vote make me sick...they even lay guilt trips on these kids if they don't vote, and have no emphasis on understanding the issues.

If you're not informed it should be considered your civic duty NOT to vote.

Tell that to the Fox news viewers.

Fox News or republican-Democrat has nothing to do with this discusion.

If one is an avid Fox news viewer one is more than likely not going to pass a voter intelligence test so yes it does have something to do with this discussion.

I know this will never happen. But I am 20. And 75% of the people my age should not be allowed to vote. They have no clue about the candidates. They have no clue about the issues. They have no idea what they're voting for. They vote with their @$$. I don't like this.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt momentarily and pretend you aren't some rightwingnut's sockpuppet...... and just say... if you think that dumbass, uneducated, ignorant people become smarter as they get older, you're sadly mistaken.

so do you think there should be an IQ test to vote? doesn't sound very populist to me. and what makes you think your IQ would be high enough to get past that kind of scrutiny. not saying it's not, but making a point here. i'm figuring, since you raise the question, you mean anyone who agrees with you has a high enough IQ and anyone who doesn't shouldn't vote.

Me? i just wish wingnuts, who seem to have an inordinate amount of influence at the primary stage, would actually know their subject matter and stop making things up.

The Supreme Court ruled no tests may be used to determine eligibility for voting. Also an Amendment was added to prevent a poll tax and though a tax is money the Courts have ruled it applies to tests as well. .

There is no such amendment. You obviously don't know what the hell you are talking about.

The Community Reinvestment Act? Christ. I don't think the CRA was at issue at all; but since you bring it up now, and considering how both the CRA and the 1980 bailout of Chrysler were both implemented by the same President, I still find it to be exceedingly Jimmy Peanut of Bush to bailout a bunch of losers because they're too big to fail.

Look douche, I only meant to point out to you that Bush, rather than Obama as you claimed, started this last batch of bailouts for losers who lose too much to lose.

If the fact that you're still wrong about this makes you so uncomfortable that you'd rather discuss CRA, that's fine just with me--but if you're really so tired of discussing CRA, maybe you'd just be better off with admitting you are wrong about who implemented the current bailouts of GM and Chrysler, as well as such Wall St. firms as Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, J.P. Morgan Chase, and Bank of America.

Otherwise, feel perfectly free to enjoy your own retarded Universe.

Nick's been shown numerous times that the CRA was not the cause of the economic crash... he's been shown it's a complicated issue and was far more a result of deregulation than a law that prohibits redlining. but he has the same rant every time...

so i have to figure he thinks minorities buying houses crashed the economy. which is not only absurd, it's racist given the fact that people of every shade were re-fi-ing at phantasmagorical rates, over-leveraging and the banks were tossing money at them while bundling bad debts to up the revenues of hedge funds.

but it's not like he'll let facts get in the way. ah well...

good luck trying, though. :thup:

Forum List

Back