Cemeteries

History is really in our graveyards, the markers, the stone angles and the epitaphs...whimsical or downright heartbreaking.

You can find stories just walking through them and paying attention. In 1985 and 1986 I worked at a small tree farm and lived in a vestry that was hard by a grave yard. Just by looking at the Born--Died dates you could start to spin stories that would span the things that movies today are made of.

You can walk through cemeteries, the potters fields with markers made from crude concrete with just hand prints, and the memorials from the 1800's, denoting the loss of children, the artwork from say a huge Cenotaph to a tiny lamb. They denote mortality, wars to the typhus epidemics, all of that, our history.

Last edited:
1587614587849.png

Grave markers are a form of art. I have seen say, at a local graveyard, a hand print in concrete dated 1933 noted: "here lies so and so". Or the Stone lamb from a child that died in a diphtheria epidemic in 1880s so eroded by time you can't read the name...the loss these people felt...History is in our graveyards.

Grave markers are art. Denver has Riverside's famous log cabin or the prancing horse. And guess what? Everybody is at least 6 feet apart!

How many gravestones today will refer to the coronavirus and the source from a communist nation that was at least a contributor to their fate? Future generations should have an opportunity to learn about this dark period, and the void in leadership for long that preceded it.

How many gravestones today will refer to the coronavirus and the source from a communist nation that was at least a contributor to their fate? Future generations should have an opportunity to learn about this dark period, and the void in leadership for long that preceded it.
Sadly, too many, but not comparable to the 1918 flu pandemic. Besides, people are cremating their dead now...there won't be too many markers for our dead.

Cementeries usually vote DemonRat...

Gee I wonder... scum I wonder about how scum are they...very.....very scum

1587617452643.png

Favorite grave marker in New Hampshire:

Here lie the remains
of poor Les Shaw.

Hit by one train
No less
No more

But seriously, in The Victorian Era urban cemeteries were oft designed by really prominent landscape architects of the caliber that also did major public parks.

Here's one of exceptional beauty:

Most visitors who don't have family there go to call on Lizzie. Lizze who? Consult the linked website.

History is really in our graveyards, the markers, the stone angles and the epitaphs...whimsical or downright heartbreaking.
Your cemeteries are way better than ours...here graveyards are so depressing... :(
There are a few exceptions but nothing more...
Cemeteries in America look like fields :)

Besides being memorials for people that have passed, cemeteries are sometimes historical sites themselves. For example, the Soldiers National Cemetery at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, which is a memorial to the Civil War soldiers that died during the Gettysburg battle in 1863, is also the site where President Lincoln gave his Address to dedicate the cemetery.

a1.PNG

The Old Dutch Church in North Tarrytown (now Sleepy Hollow) NY where I grew up had ancient tombstones going back before the Revolution. Among them was a common phrase "Listen stranger as you pass by. As you are now so once was I. As I am now so you will be. Prepare for death come follow me". Creepy enough for a bunch of kids.

Forum List

Back