Catholics question why Boris Johnson was able to marry in church

I have had experience of the Catholic church and their attitude towards second, or in this case third, marriage. They seem to be very forgiving in this instance.

Is this just a case of money smoothing over the problem ?
Church dogma doesn’t recognize Johnson’s previous marriages, as if they don’t exist.

From the linked article.

According to the papal biographer Austen Ivereigh, the prime minister’s two previous marriages were unlikely to have been recognised in Catholic law, as his former spouses were not Catholic, nor were the weddings Catholic ceremonies. Therefore, a “simple administrative process” was likely to have been used to declare the previous marriages invalid.

He wrote on Twitter: “Boris’s two previous marriages (probably) lacked canonical form, that is, are not recognised in Catholic law. So he (probably) didn’t need an annulment. When the canonical form of marriage has not been observed and the marriage was not later validated in the Church, a simple administrative process is used to declare such marriages invalid in church.”

And once a Catholic, always a Catholic:

‘Asked whether Cardinal Vincent Nichols, the archbishop of Westminster, approved the marriage, a spokesperson said the cardinal’s approval was not required as the wedding “proceeded according to the norms of the Church without exception”.

“The bride and groom are both parishioners of the Westminster Cathedral parish and baptised Catholic,” read a statement on behalf of the diocese of Westminster. “All necessary steps were taken, in both church and civil law, and all formalities completed before the wedding. We wish them every happiness.”’ ibid

I have had experience of the Catholic church and their attitude towards second, or in this case third, marriage. They seem to be very forgiving in this instance.

Is this just a case of money smoothing over the problem ?
Probably. This is why Jesus Christ is my moral anchor, not a group of flawed men with motives

Forum List

Back