Carli Lloyd Field Goal...Reality Check

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
In between my time in the Navy and my service in the Army I was a kicker in college.
Because of several years of learning how to place-kick and punt I learned a thing or two about kicking footballs.

I think the video of Carli Lloyd kicking a football 55 yds is pretty nice, but I know it means nothing in a game.

Now watch the video and I'll tell you why she would probably never make it in the NFL.

Number one.....even in college, there is a heavy rush coming when you kick field-goals, so you have to get the ball off in 2 seconds or less after the snap. This means you can't take a run at the ball. It takes time to take several steps. What Lloyd did was essentially a kickoff, and most kickers can kick the ball 70 yds or more on a kickoff to get it in the endzone and a touch-back. When place-kicking you cannot take more than 3 steps. I usually took 2 1/2. My first step was a half-step and the last step was my plant foot.

source.gif

Now she did kick the ball off the ground instead of off a kicking-tee. Kicking off of the ground can take anywhere from 5 - 10 yds off of your kick. If she had kicked off of a 1 inch tee she probably would have gotten another 5 yds. Kicking off of a hold tends to cut down on the distance greatly.

Another thing that you have to take into account is the ball. In college you can get an extra 10 yds over the NFL ball because it's a bit shorter and fatter. When I was in college you didn't have to inflate the ball to a set poundage, but in the NFL it has to be no less than a rock-hard 12.5 - 13.5 lbs. A former teammate in college used his own well-worn balls to kick which added several yds to his kicks. I would often put his fuzzy balls over the goalposts from the 40 yd line on the opposite side of the field off of a tee, which was at least 70 -75 yds. You could tell the difference just listening to the sound. An NFL ball sounds sharp and like a cannon when kicked really hard.....a soft ball sounds soft when kicked hard. I knew I had really gotten into it when I heard that familiar sound. I always practiced during the off-season with official NFL balls inflated to 13 lbs. That way if I got a try-out I might have a chance.

That's another thing........In the NFL you have this ball that's made to throw farther and faster but it's not made to kick farther. An NFL kicking ball is usually marked with a K and only used once. This is why you see a kicker squishing the ball on the tee before they kick to soften it up a bit. A slightly softer ball will go farther than a new ball. Practice balls are softer than game balls. That's what Carli was kicking.

Then there's the height of the rushing players that need to be considered. This means that you can't kick a long line-drive...you have to get the ball up in the air inside of 7 yds, and get the ball up over 10 feet in that distance. To drive the ball far at that height takes alot of power.

blockers.5.jpg

Taking less than 3 steps and kicking the ball over 50 yds is difficult. I usually considered anything inside 40 yds to be automatic. Any farther and it was kind of iffy and wind direction would play a big part in the kick. I made 46 yd kicks in games and 60 yds in practice. Usually you don't try 50 yd kicks unless you had no other choice. It's nice to have someone that can consistently make em from over 50 yds....but I wasn't able to.....which is why I went back into the military.

I was a straight kicker back then, so I had a flat boot that I kicked with the point of my toe instead of the side of the foot, which made me more accurate but the motion was less powerful than a soccer style kick. I could kick it farther soccer style but my accuracy wasn't that good. I would have improved my accuracy with practice...but I didn't try to change. However, because of rule changes it's tough being a straight-kicker in the NFL....so there aren't any left.

Then there's the fact that if you aren't playing during the game, you're sitting around on the sideline. You have to keep warm during the game, that means having a kicking net on the sideline or a bicycle to keep blood flowing thru your muscles. Playing keeps your legs warmed up. Kickers usually can't play during the game in the NFL for obvious reasons so they have to stay on the sidelines and keep warmed up in other ways.

So taking into considering all of the above factors....I figure Carli Lloyd would be in for a huge dose of reality if she ever tried out for a college team....much less an NFL team. She's got a good leg....but there's more that goes into than just kicking the ball with no rush the way she did. It was a nice story...but it wasn't based in reality. I think the novelty of it was she was a woman, but she's a world-class soccer player....so she should have a good leg. Most kickers played soccer at one time or another. It gives you strength, endurance, and the proper technique to kick a ball.

Now I see videos of a woman throwing a pass on Twitter that looks like it's far, but it's probably only 40 yds....and isn't very far compared to players in college and the NFL where some of them can throw 70 - 80 yds accurately.

Let's put it this way.....girls......put some pads on and try-out.
See what it's like for us guys and see if it's something you want to do.
Football isn't for everyone. Even kicking.

You must have been an old school kicker. I haven’t seen a straight on kicker in the NFL in 40 years. I remember when Pete Gogolak came into the league in the 60s with soccer style kicking. Within ten years almost every kicker was soccer style

I agree with your assessment of Carli Lloyd

Five steps won’t cut it in the NFL.
Her kick trajectory is also too low. They would be blocked at the line of scrimmage

I see her as maybe a 40 yard kicker. Not NFL material, but the XFL is starting next year and she could be a draw

In between my time in the Navy and my service in the Army I was a kicker in college.
Because of several years of learning how to place-kick and punt I learned a thing or two about kicking footballs.

I think the video of Carli Lloyd kicking a football 55 yds is pretty nice, but I know it means nothing in a game.

Now watch the video and I'll tell you why she would probably never make it in the NFL.

Number one.....even in college, there is a heavy rush coming when you kick field-goals, so you have to get the ball off in 2 seconds or less after the snap. This means you can't take a run at the ball. It takes time to take several steps. What Lloyd did was essentially a kickoff, and most kickers can kick the ball 70 yds or more on a kickoff to get it in the endzone and a touch-back. When place-kicking you cannot take more than 3 steps. I usually took 2 1/2. My first step was a half-step and the last step was my plant foot.

source.gif

Now she did kick the ball off the ground instead of off a kicking-tee. Kicking off of the ground can take anywhere from 5 - 10 yds off of your kick. If she had kicked off of a 1 inch tee she probably would have gotten another 5 yds. Kicking off of a hold tends to cut down on the distance greatly.

Another thing that you have to take into account is the ball. In college you can get an extra 10 yds over the NFL ball because it's a bit shorter and fatter. When I was in college you didn't have to inflate the ball to a set poundage, but in the NFL it has to be no less than a rock-hard 12.5 - 13.5 lbs. A former teammate in college used his own well-worn balls to kick which added several yds to his kicks. I would often put his fuzzy balls over the goalposts from the 40 yd line on the opposite side of the field off of a tee, which was at least 70 -75 yds. You could tell the difference just listening to the sound. An NFL ball sounds sharp and like a cannon when kicked really hard.....a soft ball sounds soft when kicked hard. I knew I had really gotten into it when I heard that familiar sound. I always practiced during the off-season with official NFL balls inflated to 13 lbs. That way if I got a try-out I might have a chance.

That's another thing........In the NFL you have this ball that's made to throw farther and faster but it's not made to kick farther. An NFL kicking ball is usually marked with a K and only used once. This is why you see a kicker squishing the ball on the tee before they kick to soften it up a bit. A slightly softer ball will go farther than a new ball. Practice balls are softer than game balls. That's what Carli was kicking.

Then there's the height of the rushing players that need to be considered. This means that you can't kick a long line-drive...you have to get the ball up in the air inside of 7 yds, and get the ball up over 10 feet in that distance. To drive the ball far at that height takes alot of power.

blockers.5.jpg

Taking less than 3 steps and kicking the ball over 50 yds is difficult. I usually considered anything inside 40 yds to be automatic. Any farther and it was kind of iffy and wind direction would play a big part in the kick. I made 46 yd kicks in games and 60 yds in practice. Usually you don't try 50 yd kicks unless you had no other choice. It's nice to have someone that can consistently make em from over 50 yds....but I wasn't able to.....which is why I went back into the military.

I was a straight kicker back then, so I had a flat boot that I kicked with the point of my toe instead of the side of the foot, which made me more accurate but the motion was less powerful than a soccer style kick. I could kick it farther soccer style but my accuracy wasn't that good. I would have improved my accuracy with practice...but I didn't try to change. However, because of rule changes it's tough being a straight-kicker in the NFL....so there aren't any left.

Then there's the fact that if you aren't playing during the game, you're sitting around on the sideline. You have to keep warm during the game, that means having a kicking net on the sideline or a bicycle to keep blood flowing thru your muscles. Playing keeps your legs warmed up. Kickers usually can't play during the game in the NFL for obvious reasons so they have to stay on the sidelines and keep warmed up in other ways.

So taking into considering all of the above factors....I figure Carli Lloyd would be in for a huge dose of reality if she ever tried out for a college team....much less an NFL team. She's got a good leg....but there's more that goes into than just kicking the ball with no rush the way she did. It was a nice story...but it wasn't based in reality. I think the novelty of it was she was a woman, but she's a world-class soccer player....so she should have a good leg. Most kickers played soccer at one time or another. It gives you strength, endurance, and the proper technique to kick a ball.

Now I see videos of a woman throwing a pass on Twitter that looks like it's far, but it's probably only 40 yds....and isn't very far compared to players in college and the NFL where some of them can throw 70 - 80 yds accurately.

One question-who do you root for in the Army-Navy game?

You must have been an old school kicker. I haven’t seen a straight on kicker in the NFL in 40 years. I remember when Pete Gogolak came into the league in the 60s with soccer style kicking. Within ten years almost every kicker was soccer style
I was kicking in the early 80s.
I remember when some of them started kicking barefooted.
That didn't last long.

source.gif

blockers.5.jpg

One question-who do you root for in the Army-Navy game?

I retired in the Army....so Army of course.
But if Navy plays somebody else...it's Navy.

I was kicking in the early 80s.
I remember when some of them started kicking barefooted.
That didn't last long.
I think Mark Moseley on the Skins was the last straight on kicker I remember

Her kick trajectory is also too low. They would be blocked at the line of scrimmage

I see her as maybe a 40 yard kicker. Not NFL material, but the XFL is starting next year and she could be a draw

The XFL will have smaller players than the NFL, which would reduce the line of scrimmage blocking.

Still even in the XFL the guys on the line are massive. i was in a hotel in Montreal where a visiting CFL team was staying, and even those linemen were gigantic.

The XFL will have smaller players than the NFL, which would reduce the line of scrimmage blocking.

Still even in the XFL the guys on the line are massive. i was in a hotel in Montreal where a visiting CFL team was staying, and even those linemen were gigantic.
All she has to do is kick.
If she is accurate within 40 yards she could probably cut it in the XFL
She would be a curiosity for a league looking for attention

I could see an NFL team giving her a tryout or letting her kick in an exhibition game. But NFL kickers today have monster legs. If you can’t make everything inside of 50 and have a range of at least 55 you don’t make it

I could see an NFL team giving her a tryout or letting her kick in an exhibition game. But NFL kickers today have monster legs. If you can’t make everything inside of 50 and have a range of at least 55 you don’t make it

Kickers having to do something else is rare, but on a muff (lol) or a miss they are expected to at least impede anyone trying to recover or return the ball.

Before I played in college I had an unofficial try-out with the Chargers special teams coach (Wayne Seiver), who also was the Special Teams Coach at Washington while Moseley was playing I believe.

Rolf Bernirschke was the Charger's kicker then. He could make it during practice from 65 yds almost every time. Rolf Benirschke - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Kickers having to do something else is rare, but on a muff (lol) or a miss they are expected to at least impede anyone trying to recover or return the ball.
My coaches liked putting me in at Defensive End in games or Running Back during Thud Drills in practice to run with the ball for the first team Defense.

My Redshirt season I told our kicker (Mark Buller) to take the guy's head off on a kick-off during one of our games.

He kicked the ball and the guy runs right up the middle of the field....looks like a massive collision was about to take place....but he runs right past Buller for a TD. All he had to do was reach out and grab him or slow him down but he was just strictly a kicker...afraid of contact.

Not everyone can be a Garo Yepremian

Before my time.

They need to bring in some more of the Aussie rules guys as kickers, but most of them make better punters than place kickers.

Before my time.

They need to bring in some more of the Aussie rules guys as kickers, but most of them make better punters than place kickers.
They've destroyed kick-offs in the NFL in my opinion.
Punting was pretty much a coverage game. Tried to get at least a 5 second hang-time and at least 50 yds downfield past the line of scrimmage. You stand 15 yds behind the snapper and maybe kick it 10 yds from the LS, which means your kick has to go 60 yds. Then if it's run back 10 or 15 yds your net is for shit.
Now just kicking an Aussie punt that's tough to handle will give you a better chance on stopping a run-back.
The kicking game has changed so much since I played.

Before my time.

There is an Aussie punter with Seattle

The guy is awesome. Not just the distance, but what he can make the ball do

Before my time.

Have you noticed that they kick the ball point straight down now?
I never tried that.
I always tried to kick it with the point slightly down and it would come off my foot spinning like a forward pass.
Now....they like knuckle-balls that spin end over end.
When you kick the hell out of it....the thing hangs in the air.
Perhaps this is just to cut down on returns.

Mark Jesmer was a kicker at San Diego State University.
He had a heck of a leg...the ball sizzled off of his foot....but his punts were all 70 yds.....like a forward pass...no hang-time.....so he didn't make it in the NFL.
I was gonna say something...but he acted like he didn't want any advice.

The guy that followed him was Mike Saxon.....ended up playing for the Cowboys.
I worked out with him.
Lots of hang-time.
Pro-bowl punter.

Last edited:

Before my time.

I never tried that.
I always tried to kick it with the point slightly down and it would come off my foot spinning like a forward pass.

He had a heck of a leg...the ball sizzled off of his foot....but his punts were all 70 yds.....like a forward pass...no hang-time.....so he didn't make it in the NFL.

I worked out with him.
Lots of hang-time.
Pro-bowl punter.
I remember back in the days of Ray Guy. It was all hang time and distance

Then it became about directional punting and getting it inside the 20 without reaching the end zone.

Now it seems to be make the ball what you want it to do depending on the situation and conditions

Before my time.

I never tried that.

I worked out with him.
Lots of hang-time.
Pro-bowl punter.
I remember back in the days of Ray Guy. It was all hang time and distance

Then it became about directional punting and getting it inside the 20 without reaching the end zone.

Now it seems to be make the ball what you want it to do depending on the situation and conditions
Ray Guy.....
Selected in the first rd.....

"At the 1976 Pro Bowl, Guy became the first punter to hit the Louisiana Superdome video screen. Officials raised the screen from 90 feet to 200 feet. The NFC team pulled the ball and had it tested for helium; it was filled with regular air.[citation needed]

In his 13-year career, Guy:

• Played in 207 consecutive games
  • Punted 1,049 times for 44,493 yards, averaging 42.4 yards per punt, with a 33.8 net yards average
  • Had 210 punts inside the 20-yard line (not counting his first 3 seasons, when the NFL did not keep track of this stat), with just 128 touchbacks
  • Led the NFL in punting three times
  • Had a streak of 619 consecutive punts before having one blocked
  • Has a record of 111 career punts in post season games
  • Had five punts of over 60 yards during the 1981 season"

Forum List

Back