Carli Lloyd Field Goal...Reality Check

Back when the Arena Football League has the Orlando Predators, I was an officer in the Fan Club. That’s where “Predfan” comes from btw.

My middle daughter was a top notch soccer player. During half time of the games there would be a contest for whoever was picked to kick a field goal through the 9 foot AFL field goal bars. If you made it, you won a prize. I entered my then 13 year old daughter to try the kick one game. It’s 30 yards,and the crossbar is 20 feet or so off the ground. And only 9 feet wide. My daughter kicked it straight as an arrow but only had the strength to hit the crossbar. I all the time I watched those games, no one ever made the kick and maybe a handful actually hit the nets. 8 inches higher and she would have been the only one to make it.

Kickers in the NFL don’t just kick. They are expected to at least slow down a player if the other team happens to gain possession. I don’t see Lloyd doing that.
I don’t see many NFL kickers doing that

I think Carli Lloyd could kick field goals but not earn a spot in the NFL

Today’s kickers have thunder legs and being consistent at 50 yards and longer is expected

The XFL will have smaller players than the NFL, which would reduce the line of scrimmage blocking.

Still even in the XFL the guys on the line are massive. i was in a hotel in Montreal where a visiting CFL team was staying, and even those linemen were gigantic.
All she has to do is kick.
If she is accurate within 40 yards she could probably cut it in the XFL
She would be a curiosity for a league looking for attention

I could see an NFL team giving her a tryout or letting her kick in an exhibition game. But NFL kickers today have monster legs. If you can’t make everything inside of 50 and have a range of at least 55 you don’t make it

Kickers having to do something else is rare, but on a muff (lol) or a miss they are expected to at least impede anyone trying to recover or return the ball.
Not everyone can be a Garo Yepremian

Before my time.

They need to bring in some more of the Aussie rules guys as kickers, but most of them make better punters than place kickers.
There is an Aussie punter with Seattle

The guy is awesome. Not just the distance, but what he can make the ball do

Aussie rules is usually on Friday or Saturday nights around 12:30 AM Eastern during the summer, great sport to watch at the bar when everything else is finishing up.

The sport is utter chaos, and really fun to watch.

Forum List

Back